Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Ryan O'Reilly-Avs Entertaining Offers

Post by CFP! »

RoyalDude wrote:
LOL...step aside everybody, uk has had a genius moment.
Speaking about genius moment.....$4.5/yr for a guy who has only cracked the 50pnt plateau once?

He didn't even have 20 goals.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=105153
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CFP! wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Speaking about genius moment.....$4.5/yr for a guy who has only cracked the 50pnt plateau once?

Try to look beyond the stats Topper, err CFP. Is that too much to ask? Try to look at his ceiling. It's kind of hilarious to see you all complain about 4.5 million yet y'all don't mind paying Booth that.... trust me. O'Reilly is a better hockey player by a country mile and I don't doubt that he will be as good as and most likely better than Burrows one day. Burrows has had the luxury of riding shot gun with the Sedins. It isn't a long shot to say that in a couple years O'Reilly could be one of the leagues best two way players in the game, he is only 22.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I'd have no problem giving O'Reilly a contract similar to Burrows, but definitely nothing more than that. However, I do believe that O'Reilly will eventually be a better player than Burrows.
Wait that makes no sense. You're okay with him holding out because you figure he's gonna be another HOFer like Trottier or Francis one day. But you would only be willing to give him a home town discount contract like the one Burrows took flack from the union for signing? never mind the unlikely fact that since the kids dad has turned down 3.5 million already he'll never agree to such a deal here?

Let me bring you up to speed uk...Burrows just signed a contract that kicks in for the 2013/14 season that will pay him $4.5 million per year for 4 years for a grand totals of $18 million over the life time of the contract. Is that type of contract too much for O'Reilly??? INMYPERSONALOPINION - No. But don't sweat it, uk...it's just an opinion of a hockey fan, nothing more.
Silly me I thought you were saying you'ld give R O'R Burrows money at the same point in his career. You know coming off his ELC which is a great idea considering the projection in points is arguably about the same.
Actually, I think that's a bit on the light side considering that Burrows "worked" his way to the bigs and R O'R is a highly regarded draft pick...
Still, I think if I'm cutting the cheques I'd like to see just a little humility...I mean what will the guy want if he a actually scores thirty goals in one season cough-Crosby.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

RoyalDude wrote:
CFP! wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Try to look beyond the stats Topper, err CFP. Is that too much to ask? Try to look at his ceiling. It's kind of hilarious to see you all complain about 4.5 million yet y'all don't mind paying Booth that.... trust me. O'Reilly is a better hockey player by a country mile and I don't doubt that he will be as good as and most likely better than Burrows one day. Burrows has had the luxury of riding shot gun with the Sedins. It isn't a long shot to say that in a couple years O'Reilly could be one of the leagues best two way players in the game, he is only 22.
He hasn't proven he is worth the money you're or his dad is suggesting. As for Booth, we inherited him with his contract under the old CBA, playing for a team trying to reach the cap floor. Under the new CBA maybe the "current" Booth isn't worth his salary however; he was paid what that type of player was worth under the previous CBA.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

ukcanuck wrote: Actually, I think that's a bit on the light side considering that Burrows "worked" his way to the bigs and R O'R is a highly regarded draft pick...
Really? Highly regarded? I have done a quick scan of the 09 draft articles and he is not listed as a highly regarded pick. Maybe I missed it, but most articles and scouting reports listed him as having a 3/4C top end.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

CFP! wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Actually, I think that's a bit on the light side considering that Burrows "worked" his way to the bigs and R O'R is a highly regarded draft pick...
Really? Highly regarded? I have done a quick scan of the 09 draft articles and he is not listed as a highly regarded pick. Maybe I missed it, but most articles and scouting reports listed him as having a 3/4C top end.

He wasn't highly regarded at all. In fact it was a massive surprises when he came in and made the team at 18. A second rounder making the NHL right after their draft year almost never happens.

I have been expecting him to fall on his face for the past 3 years but he's been getting better not worse.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He still isn't a 5 million dollar player. He is basiacally a poor mans Kesler....not that that's a bad thing but he will top out as a good 2nd line centre. He also had the privelage of playing with a young stud in Landeskog last year which may have padded his stats. Good player..... but he and his pop are out to lunch or maybe he just wants out of Denver.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Good player..... but he and his pop are out to lunch or maybe he just wants out of Denver.
if that's the case perhaps he is willing to sign a reasonable deal somewhere else.

I wonder if the Av's could use a goalie (smile)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CFP! wrote:
Jamie Benn, PK Subban, Brad Marchand, Milan Lucic, Patrice Bergeron, Marcus Foligno...all have something to say about not being drafted in the first round. Who cares, what does where you were drafted have to do with anything. Alexander Daigle was drafted 1st overall. Pavel Brendl, what happened to him? You should go back and read the pre-draft criticisms of Claude Giroux now considered one of the top 10 players in the league. It's what they do in the NHL...O'Reilly made it as an 18 year old and from then on has only gotten better with each year. I think we can all agree that he isn't worth what he, his Dad, his agent are asking for, ain't no disputing that. There isn't a GM in this league who would not love to have O'Reilly on their team, and I would bet that a lot of them would not have a problem paying in the range of 4 to 4.5 million what Burrows just signed his extension for. I see no problem paying him what Burrows just got. Burrows has had the luxury of playing with two of the best players in the game, the Sedins. So, BFD if O'Reilly played with Landeskog last season, ya ever think that hey maybe Landeskog benefited from playing with O'Reilly. Either way, O'Reilly proved himself long before Landeskog arrived. O'Reilly has a very high ceiling, I wouldn't be surprised if he is the best two way forward in the game 3 years from now but he definitely doesn't deserve more than 4.5 million in my books.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/02 ... ent/12557/

I am a mean sarcastic writer sometimes. Just the way I am, take it or leave it. But I pride myself in being fair.

So I was thinking today: I’ve been a little tough on the Avs in the Ryan O’Reilly situation. Ripping on them for take-it-or-leave it offers and essentially saying “How can you not sign this guy?” But I also think it’s fair to try and put forth a counterargument as to why the Avs may be in the right for taking a hard line in salary talks.

Let me, therefore, be fair and point out a few things about O’Reilly, maybe try to channel the Avs and their thinking a bit. I’m not saying this is what they are thinking. I’m saying I’m going to channel them as best I can.

Here goes:
- O’Reilly wants to be paid like a 30-goal scorer in this league. He scored 39 goals his first three years in the league. He’s never even scored 20. Guys who steal a few pucks and score 15-20 goals are great (his career high is 18, last year), but they aren’t $5 million a year players.

- O’Reilly is basing all his salary demands on one good year. He wants at least $5 million a year for one good year. But he’s played three. Sorry, kid, but you haven’t proven yourself enough yet to get that kind of money. Besides, if you’re as good as you say you are, then you’d have taken a one- or two-year deal, played your butt off and put up another big and maybe even better year and PROVEN you’re not just a one-year wonder. Then, you would have really had the Avs by the shorthairs at the bargaining table.

Then, you would have been eligible for arbitration and pretty much gotten any salary you’d want from the arbitrator. Or, you would have forced the Avs to cry uncle, admit you’re the real deal and then gotten that long-term deal for maybe even more money than you want now.

But you want to be guaranteed huge money for a long time without truly having proven yet that you can do it consistently.

- You had your best scoring year playing with the NHL rookie of the year. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

- Your camp may be ridiculing supposed friend and teammate Matt Duchene for taking a short-money contract and thereby setting a floor too low for your own self. Fine, but guess what? Matt Duchene worked his butt off this summer, got himself in incredible shape and has played great this season, and now he’s likely looking at a huge new contract before too long. Maybe the Avs even reward him already with a rich contract extension before too long, to not have to worry about keeping him down the road.

That could have been you.

Oh, and by the way: Duchene put up 132 points his first two years in the league. You put up 52 and were a combined minus-3. In fact, your career plus-minus is -4.

- Speaking of that great last season you had, can we talk about the last six games of the year? You know, the ones that were the crunch-time games, the ones that would determine if the Avs made the playoffs or not, the ones where the really great players are supposed to rise to the occasion?

Your stats for the final six games: Zero goals, one assist, -2.

Over the final 18 games, you scored two goals for us.

- How do you think you really come off to your teammates? As a team-first guy, or a me-first guy now? Think about that one hard.

OK, I’m back to my normal self again. Channel time over. I think now that I have accomplished my mission of being fair and presenting both sides.

Now, it’s up to the real parties involved to channel the rest of this story.
Gillis doesn't like unproven money-grubbers with control-freak dads.

Who does?
____
Try to focus on someday.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

RoyalDude wrote:
CFP! wrote:
Who cares, what does where you were drafted have to do with anything. Alexander Daigle was drafted 1st overall. Pavel Brendl, what happened to him? .
My point was that he was NOT a highly touted DP. I'm really not sure if you are a fish out of water or you just like to contradict yourself post after post.

Comparing Burrows to RoR is not the same. Either way, the draft status of RoR has been seen as very limited. Unless shown otherwise a signed(under $3.5) RoR is worth Schroeder/(Hodgson) + 1st + Sauve/Pinnizotto. Saw a post on the Sabres board....CoHo + Grigs for RoR....lol :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CFP! wrote: Either way, the draft status of RoR has been seen as very limited.
What was the draft status of Jamie Benn, drafted 129th Overall in the 2007 Draft?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CFP! wrote: Unless shown otherwise a signed(under $3.5) RoR is worth Schroeder/(Hodgson) + 1st + Sauve/Pinnizotto.
You know your stuff!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CFP! wrote:CoHo + Grigs for RoR
I'd do that. Good trade for both teams.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:
CFP! wrote:CoHo + Grigs for RoR
I'd do that. Good trade for both teams.
because the Sabres have such depth at centre.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.