Looking Ahead - The Salary Cap

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Looking Ahead - The Salary Cap

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Yeah sorry Mëds but Boychuck is going to get a Niskanen deal .

Hey dude how is that fast five hundred pound line making out ?
Yeah, you're probably right.

A team that could grab some UFA's and be scary good next year is Nashville. They are already playing really well, and if the cap goes up to $73M they will have $33M to play with. They will have 11 players to re-sign, but they still have a ton of space with some key guys still signed.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The Predators have never been among the top 20 spending teams in the league (at least not in any year since capgeek has been documenting this). They're usually in the bottom five. I don't think "$33m in cap space" means all that much.

Of those eleven free agents you mentioned, eight of them are among the team's top ten forwards in terms of TOI/G.

I'd imagine that unless they have a big playoff run and pour all of the income back into hockey ops, most of whatever increase in salary they decide on for 2015-16 will be chewed through by a raise (or replacement) for Mike Ribeiro ($1m, upcoming UFA, second leading scorer and first line centre) and new deals for Craig Smith and Colin Wilson (fourth and fifth highest scoring forwards, fifth and sixth among forwards in TOI/G, both earn $2m and a medium term deal would buy UFA years).

Nevermind that this cap inflation is going to drive the price up drastically on the middling vets Nashville have done a good job filling out their roster with - they've done a nice job of exploiting them this past offseason but don't make the mistake of assuming that's going to benefit them after those deals expire.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

RoyalDude wrote:Matthias, Richardson and Dorsett should be resigned, or at least 2 of the three. I would sign Matthias and Dorsett if I could only resign 2.
I agree, Richardson will be getting big money and will be looking to cash in after the season he's having.

If the Canucks are going into the deadline as a "tweener" (which still seems likely), Richardson might be a guy who fetches a decent return.

Matthias will be looking at a raise if he continues to play well, Dorsett probably not.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I can't see any of those three getting significantly more than they are getting now. They may settle for the same or similar for a little more term, something I'm not sure we want to give right now. 1-2 year deals ax for any of them. Although, as the kids start to integrate into the line up they would make a hell of a 4th line. :mrgreen:

If we are out of it at the trade deadline I can see Richardson, Matthias, Hansen, Higgins all drawing interest from contenders. Burrows not so much given his term. But we really don"t have any big name players we can or will traded at that point so even if it is a house cleaning it won't bring much back. Last year we had Kesler and Edler who was willing to leave town to get away from Torts, both which would have given us a big return but we don"t have any of those players this year.
Besides, I think we will still be in good position at the deadline and I don't see us cleaning house regardless if the team is a contender. Making the playoffs is job one. I just don't want to be a buyer, not this year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Besides, I think we will still be in good position at the deadline and I don't see us cleaning house regardless if the team is a contender. Making the playoffs is job one. I just don't want to be a buyer, not this year.
Frankly, I can't see Benning doing a fire-sale at any rate. Barring a catastrophe, we're likely to be within striking distance of a wild card spot, given parity and 3 point games. He might do some tinkering, but I can't see any big pieces moving out the door. Guys they don't feel they want to re-sign will play out the year and leave as UFA's. Someone like Richardson is probably more valuable to the team for the 8 weeks or so left in the season than the 5th or 6th round pick he'd likely garner at the deadline.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Hopefully, whatever moves get made this year Benning can bring in some extra (or higher) picks for this years draft (I would be ok with selling the farm for the first overall :P ), shaping up to be a strong pool of talent to select from.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Hockey Widow wrote:I can't see any of those three getting significantly more than they are getting now.
I think you might be wrong on Richardson. At $1.15 he's a bargain...he makes half as much as Hansen. He is good on the PK, faceoffs and has displayed a pretty wicked shot on occasion. If I were his agent, I'd be looking for $2.5 per year and with the cap going up, he will get it, IMO.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Zedlee wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I can't see any of those three getting significantly more than they are getting now.
I think you might be wrong on Richardson. At $1.15 he's a bargain...he makes half as much as Hansen. He is good on the PK, faceoffs and has displayed a pretty wicked shot on occasion. If I were his agent, I'd be looking for $2.5 per year and with the cap going up, he will get it, IMO.

You could be right. Would you give him that yo stay?
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardson and Matthias are both looking at possibly having career seasons. Richardson is already only 8 points away of his career high. Matthias is 13 back. The way they are playing they will both likely be 30+ point guys. Generally that does mean a raise. But Benning is not a "general" guy.

Benning is smart enough to know that players have hot years, and I doubt he will reward either of them substantially with any kind of long term based on one good season. Especially not with the depth we now have on the farm.

I can see Richardson being given $1.5M, or even up to $1.75M if he wants anything more than a couple of years. If Brad wants a 1 year deal at $2M, sure, why not, but Benning is nobody's fool.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote:Richardson and Matthias are both looking at possibly having career seasons. Richardson is already only 8 points away of his career high. Matthias is 13 back. The way they are playing they will both likely be 30+ point guys. Generally that does mean a raise. But Benning is not a "general" guy.

Benning is smart enough to know that players have hot years, and I doubt he will reward either of them substantially with any kind of long term based on one good season. Especially not with the depth we now have on the farm.

I can see Richardson being given $1.5M, or even up to $1.75M if he wants anything more than a couple of years. If Brad wants a 1 year deal at $2M, sure, why not, but Benning is nobody's fool.
Exactly. But the way the recent off-seasons have gone, Richardson will be leaving a ton of money on the table if he re-ups at that price.

I think he's worth the numbers you're throwing around, but that doesn't mean that is what the market will bear. If he's not re-signed by the deadline, I think a player on pace for 40 points, good in the dot, kills penalties, will fetch more than a 5th or 6th. I don't think he's a 40-point player, but might as well take advantage of his hot streak.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote:
Mëds wrote:Richardson and Matthias are both looking at possibly having career seasons. Richardson is already only 8 points away of his career high. Matthias is 13 back. The way they are playing they will both likely be 30+ point guys. Generally that does mean a raise. But Benning is not a "general" guy.

Exactly. But the way the recent off-seasons have gone, Richardson will be leaving a ton of money on the table if he re-ups at that price.

I think he's worth the numbers you're throwing around, but that doesn't mean that is what the market will bear. If he's not re-signed by the deadline, I think a player on pace for 40 points, good in the dot, kills penalties, will fetch more than a 5th or 6th. I don't think he's a 40-point player, but might as well take advantage of his hot streak.
I agree with you. Hence why I'm hoping I'm right in saying that Jim is nobody's fool.

I hope Benning is talking extension with him by the end of January. If his demands don't reflect the level of play we've seen from him before this single season, then he should be on the block at the deadline. We have the depth in the system now that replacing a 3rd/4th line center is very doable.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Winter Classic has lowest TV ratings yet.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:I hope Benning is talking extension with him by the end of January. If his demands don't reflect the level of play we've seen from him before this single season, then he should be on the block at the deadline. We have the depth in the system now that replacing a 3rd/4th line center is very doable.
Yeah if we can't re-sign ritchie, Tdot is looking for a 4th line center, probably can get a decent draft pick and Smith or just Carter Ashton at the deadline for him.

Next year Horvat should be on the 3rd line center spot, then we can get an el cheapo 4th line center via UFA or promote Gaunce next season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Topper wrote:Winter Classic has lowest TV ratings yet.
Though the Classic was earlier in the day, the NCAA Football playoff games raked in the ratings.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bow ... ngs-record

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Struggling to put butts in seats and an $0.80 dollar

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html