Looking Ahead - The Salary Cap

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Looking Ahead - The Salary Cap

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Booth get bought out or traded,
That's what I'm talkin' about
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Booth could be gone with the way Kassian has played.
And this
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote: I like Booth, and Ballard is playing well, but to be honest we might be better off buying both guys out and going for bargains in free agency.
And this
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:

Your opinion on Ballard and Booth is one I share. Both may indeed be worth keeping, but it might just come down to the numbers.
Yo, Yo, Yo, Yo' :rockin:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote:Lower cap, new world order.

3rd liners who can fill a 2nd line role on a poor team are likely not $4 - $5 million men any more.

Top line players will get theirs, 2nd tier will get theirs from lower tier teams. The rest can take what they're offered or learn to enjoy Soviet domestic flights.

I love you Topper :oops: :oops: :D :D
The movie is a remake of the post 04 lockout. It is showing at the local drive in. I'll pick you up in my van.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

3rd liners who can fill a 2nd line role on a poor team are likely not $4 - $5 million men any more.

Top line players will get theirs, 2nd tier will get theirs from lower tier teams. The rest can take what they're offered or learn to enjoy Soviet domestic flights.
Yup

2-3 tweeners and d-men in the 4 though 7 spots are going to get just hammered this off season.

If the Canucks could clear some salary they could be in great shape heading into free agency.

That said, I'm not sure how eager Aqua Man is going to be to go the buy out direction, especially on serviceable players.

Booth and Ballard will both have about 8.5 still owing to them after this season if memory serves the B/O rate is roughly 2/3rds of the remaining salary so he would end up writing a check for over 12 mill to clear both guys.

We have good owners, but I don't see that happening especially when both guys are serviceable.

1 might be a possibility
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

I love you Topper :oops: :oops: :D :D
The movie is a remake of the post 04 lockout. It is showing at the local drive in. I'll pick you up in my van.

Only if your Canucks flag is flying at full mast.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Half mast is only for pulling a Lokomotiv.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote: Ballard $4.2M
Tanev $3M (might be being generous here, assuming he gets Alberts' money and then some as he has been so steady)
Tanev will get just over $1mil, Ballard will be replaced with someone making less than $2mil.

Mëds wrote: Expiring contracts.....

Malhotra $2.5M
Raymond $2.275M
Higgins $1.9M
Schroeder $1.025M
Lapierre $1.0M
Weise $0.615M
Ebbett $0.6M
Volpatti $0.6M
Malhotra - GONE
Raymond - GONE
Higgins - re-sign at about the same price or GONE
Schroeder - slight raise
Lapierre - slight raise
Weise - very slight raise
Ebbett - DOESN'T MATTER
Volpatti - DOESN'T MATTER
Very close to what I'm thinking - one of Higgy or Raymond stays, and I concur with the rest. In this scenario there's even a little bit of cash let over, depending on contract values. Gillis has proven time and again that he gets good value when he signs guys, will be the same this year.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Diehard1 wrote: Very close to what I'm thinking - one of Higgy or Raymond stays, and I concur with the rest. In this scenario there's even a little bit of cash let over, depending on contract values. Gillis has proven time and again that he gets good value when he signs guys, will be the same this year.
As a UFA... I would suspect Raymond gets more than Higgins. Given that we already have guys like Sedin-Sedin-Burrows-Booth-Kassian-Kesler, I'd be inclined to pay Higgins less and retain him for grittier minutes and an ability to step up. It really depends on numbers. If Calgary or TO is going to throw silly money at Raymond, see ya later.

Could we pick-up a Derek Roy for a decent price? What's Fillpula gonna go for, given Detroit's depth at C? Could Robyn Regehr be had at half price? Will Brodeur retire? Might Anaheim want David Booth once Perry leaves, can we swing him for rights at the draft? If Washington continues to tank, who goes where? I get the feeling Free Agency will be a massacre this summer, and so will the draft.

Gillis better be ready to pull the trigger quick, because I'm betting things move faster than he can un-screw the cap on his Vita Lift eye roller.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm not the biggest fans of ballard/booth either. Hopefully we don't have to buy them out and maybe we can just trade them to someone in a pure salary dump. Kind of like what San Jose did to give us Ehrhoff. They're pretty much players entering their prime years with only a couple years left in their contracts after this season, so someone might take a chance on them.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: Very close to what I'm thinking - one of Higgy or Raymond stays, and I concur with the rest. In this scenario there's even a little bit of cash let over, depending on contract values. Gillis has proven time and again that he gets good value when he signs guys, will be the same this year.
As a UFA... I would suspect Raymond gets more than Higgins. Given that we already have guys like Sedin-Sedin-Burrows-Booth-Kassian-Kesler, I'd be inclined to pay Higgins less and retain him for grittier minutes and an ability to step up. It really depends on numbers. If Calgary or TO is going to throw silly money at Raymond, see ya later.

Could we pick-up a Derek Roy for a decent price? What's Fillpula gonna go for, given Detroit's depth at C? Could Robyn Regehr be had at half price? Will Brodeur retire? Might Anaheim want David Booth once Perry leaves, can we swing him for rights at the draft? If Washington continues to tank, who goes where? I get the feeling Free Agency will be a massacre this summer, and so will the draft.

Gillis better be ready to pull the trigger quick, because I'm betting things move faster than he can un-screw the cap on his Vita Lift eye roller.
Agreed, Raymond likely will get more than Higgy, especially since his current salary is higher and he will likely have more goals/points. He's not necessarily a better player, just better counting stats.

There will be lots of changes this off-season with the cap coming down - Van is in ok shape compared to a few teams. There will be some good guys given away for peanuts.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: I like Booth, and Ballard is playing well, but to be honest we might be better off buying both guys out and going for bargains in free agency.
And this
Out of sight, out of mind - team is playing well without Booth so he's expendable. Maybe we should give the guy a chance to actually play a game before we lynch him?
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Don't forget the mysterious back/hip/sports hernia injury that will require offseason surgery and a longer expected recovery on LTIR.
Hono_rary Canadian
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

My very rough projection for next season:

Sedin (6.10) - Sedin (6.10) - Kassian (0.870)
Booth (4.25) - Kesler (5.00) - Burrows (4.50)
Jensen (0.894) - Schroeder (1.25*) - Hansen (1.35)
Volpatti (0.600*) - Lapierre (1.50*) - Weise (0.700*)

Hamhuis (4.50) - Bieksa (4.60)
Edler (5.00) - Tanev (1.50*)
Garrison (4.60) - Corrado (0.600)

Schneider (4.00)
Lack (0.750)

Forwards: $33.114M
Defense: $20.80M
Goalies: $4.75M
Team: $58.664M

Cap space: $5.336M

We have just over $5M for 2 depth defensemen, 1 depth forward (assuming the same set-up as this year, and to include whatever NHL assets we get back from a Luongo trade and a Ballard trade.