Looking Ahead - The Salary Cap

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Looking Ahead - The Salary Cap

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote:an $0.80 dollar
People question the team's commitment to winning but you had to admit that they've found a way to increase payroll costs despite the salary cap..
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Bettman: Cap projected to be about $71M.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/3 ... 71-million
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A two million dollar bump won't help some teams. We should be fine though. Flyers, Hawks, Bruins, Pens, LA if Voynov is in the mix, will all be tight against the cap again next season. They should all have enough room to get their key players re-signed but little room to maneuver after that.

71 million. Wow, why was there a lock out again?
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Wow, why was there a lock out again?
Because the NHLPA was asking for a fixed rate of increase whereas some foresaw a reversal in fortunes of the Canuck buck.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I doubt the NHL or most of the owners give a shit about a $71m cap; under the last CBA, with the same HRR projection they're using to predict next years numbers they would've had an $81m cap so they are sitting pretty.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote:
Because the NHLPA was asking for a fixed rate of increase whereas some foresaw a reversal in fortunes of the Canuck buck.
Friedman's latest puts these types of comments in an interesting light..

This is going to mark the second consecutive year that the owners want to raise the cap beyond what revenue projections for the upcoming season allow; last season they tried to convince the players to add $2m (they ended up on $1m) for future tv money, and this year they want to bump it again to make it easier for franchises without any cap space.

Why would owners care about the cap going up at a fixed rate? It's just more of the players money into escrow..
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Butt, the PA's proposal had a fixed rate of increase
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So does the current cap, effectively - a fixed rate, unless two parties (that rarely agree to anything) can agree to some other rate.

But my point was more that the owners have their HRR split in hand.. most of them have no reason to care about a cap number that, to the extent it even reflects reality (and not some shorthand for the players share that might fluctuate depending on actual HRR, total contact dollars spent that year, etc), merely reflects increasing prosperity for both sides.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:
Topper wrote:
Friedman's latest puts these types of comments in an interesting light..

This is going to mark the second consecutive year that the owners want to raise the cap beyond what revenue projections for the upcoming season allow; last season they tried to convince the players to add $2m (they ended up on $1m) for future tv money, and this year they want to bump it again to make it easier for franchises without any cap space.

Why would owners care about the cap going up at a fixed rate? It's just more of the players money into escrow..
This alone is reason enough to not bump it. The league keeps allowing bad GMs an out. It would be nice to see teams in cap hell have to fix it. For the players thete is no real upside to keep having more and more money land in escrow. I hope they hold the line.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:
dbr wrote:Friedman's latest puts these types of comments in an interesting light..

This alone is reason enough to not bump it. The league keeps allowing bad GMs an out. It would be nice to see teams in cap hell have to fix it. For the players thete is no real upside to keep having more and more money land in escrow. I hope they hold the line.
More Friedman-paraphrasing, but when the cap falls, veteran guys who have "made sacrifices to create a better environment" (or at least, it could have been worse) for younger guys get forced out of the league.

Apparently last year in the past union guys were going around telling players that if they don't escalate the cap, it's going to cost veteran players their jobs.

I don't really agree with that BUT.. I'm not the guy with union brethren to think about. A younger guy who sees a veteran that left 1.5 years of salary on the table might feel differently.

edit - Here it is:
When current broadcast partner Glenn Healy worked for the NHLPA, he had a similar situation in June 2008. If he could not convince one team to change its mind, there would be no escalator used for the 2008-09 season. Healy, a staunch union man during his career, believes players should always opt to have the most money in the system.

...Healy wouldn’t say which team was involved, but he appealed to some of the veterans by pointing at another experienced player and saying if he didn’t vote in favour, that player’s career would be over.

“Once you are done, you don’t seriously expect to come back next year. You’re finished. It’s stark and harsh,” he said. “And that one more year can be so critical in so many ways. Your pension. You can set yourself up for another three years of your life. It’s not the core players or the entry-level guys who are in danger, it’s the mid-level guy that loses his job.”

Link
It's complicated I guess.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:
When current broadcast partner Glenn Healy worked for the NHLPA, he had a similar situation in June 2008. If he could not convince one team to change its mind, there would be no escalator used for the 2008-09 season. Healy, a staunch union man during his career, believes players should always opt to have the most money in the system.

...Healy wouldn’t say which team was involved, but he appealed to some of the veterans by pointing at another experienced player and saying if he didn’t vote in favour, that player’s career would be over.

“Once you are done, you don’t seriously expect to come back next year. You’re finished. It’s stark and harsh,” he said. “And that one more year can be so critical in so many ways. Your pension. You can set yourself up for another three years of your life. It’s not the core players or the entry-level guys who are in danger, it’s the mid-level guy that loses his job.”

Link
It's complicated I guess.
I'll never shed a tear for an NHL player's financial future after they are done hockey. Or any professional athlete for that matter. Sorry your life long dream has been achieved but cut short, but that's it.

I know plenty of people who have done total career changes in their 30's. Back to school, retraining, even relocating. None of them had been fortunate enough to spend even a couple of years earning the kind of money an NHL player makes. They might have had 10 years behind them where they averaged $60-70K per year, while most of these NHL players will make way more than that 10 year gross in a single season. Those folks did just fine, and they still had to worry about all of the same shit, pension, etc.....but they couldn't set themselves up for another 3 years while they figured it out.