Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Predictions

Post by Meds »

Ok, so we're a week into the season and have seen just about what everyone is bringing to the ice this year. Figured it would be fun to do some early predictions on the way the standings will shake out come 4 months from now.

Western Conference

1. Vancouver - 3 teams in their division they should be able to take 24 points from, still a bit deeper than Minny.
2. Chicago - off to great start, goaltending questionable, division weaker than ever, no big roster changes this year.
3. San Jose - off to great start, should be able to take 24 points from bottom 3 in division, goaltending inconsistent.
4. Minnesota - same as Canucks but will probably give up some points to Vancouver and a few other opponents.
5. St. Louis - young, fast, talented, will push Chicago for top spot, inexperience will be the difference.
6. Detroit - still in the hunt, but their blueline is badly depleted with Lidstrom's retirement, showing their age in places.
7. Los Angeles - have a hunch they'll under perform and finish strong again, Quick not looking great to start.
8. Nashville - losing some key pieces last year will hurt, Trotz's team system will prevail and they'll edge out the Ducks.
9. Anaheim - Boudreau will struggle to get attitudes under control, weak defense, will score their way just shy.
10. Dallas - Benn has signed but they are pretty weak up front beyond their top 4. But lookout, they signed Rome!
11. Colorado - will build on last year, season will hinge on Varlamov's ability to keep them in games.
12. Phoenix - nobody wants to play in Phoenix, except for Doan apparently, depleted roster, sink or swim with Smith.
13. Edmonton - flash and dash, no defense, still not much size up front, will excite but not win much, Devon Dubnyk.
14. Calgary - not much going to come from the blueline, riding aging stars into the sunset.
15. Columbus - Dubinsky, Umberger, Johnson.....beyond that they got nothing.

Eastern Conference

1. New York Rangers - terrible start but will get it together, a deeper team than the Pens in the end.
2. Boston - not much in their division to challenge them.
3. Tampa Bay - can score goals, goaltending questionable, defense unproven, weak division.
4. Pittsburgh - will challenge for top spot in East, goaltending and defense will be achilles heel.
5. Ottawa - should steal points from Montreal, Buffalo, and Toronto, building on last year.
6. New Jersey Devils - loss of Parise will hurt, can still win by committee, Brodeur will still give them a chance.
7. Winnipeg - weak division, can't out score Tampa, will win games as a team.
8. New York Islanders - ready to take the next step, goaltending still an issue.
9. Carolina - will under perform, just a hunch.
10. Philadelphia - will struggle with blueline and goaltending will falter.
11. Montreal - Habs getting ready for a rebuild in front of Price, Subban a distraction.
12. Buffalo - more of the same in Buffalo, have some good pieces, not there yet.
13. Florida - young players, no real experience, big question mark in the crease.
14. Washington - no defense, goaltending looks bad, stars not producing, rookie coach.
15. Toronto - no goaltending, soft up front, blueline under achieves, early injury to Lupul, Kessel doing nothing.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Predictions

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Your Eastern Conference predictions are a mess Mëds. I agree somewhat on who makes the playoffs and who doesn't in your Western Conference predictions, just not the order.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Vancouver will finish out of top 4 in West. Chicago, San Jose, St Louis are the 3 top teams in the west (not necessarily in that order), and I think Wild win NW (assuming they have no injuries)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds prediction regarding the Canucks is that classic blissful, right of passage, arrogance that you see with a lot of Canuck fans. I mean, I love the undying love and support for the team but we need to separate fact from fantasy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:Mëds prediction regarding the Canucks is that classic blissful, right of passage, arrogance that you see with a lot of Canuck fans. I mean, I love the undying love and support for the team but we need to separate fact from fantasy
I don't know that its arrogance dude..extreme hopefilled fanaticism...which is why he watches I assume, even keeled reality.....well that just plain sucks 8-)
I think a lot of fans use hockey as an escape from reality to a certain degree...not to stay In It..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Me? I'm going to focus on the playoffs.

Winning during the regular season is fun. No doubt. But the playoffs are close already! Just make it in, and then never surrender!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote:Mëds prediction regarding the Canucks is that classic blissful, right of passage, arrogance that you see with a lot of Canuck fans. I mean, I love the undying love and support for the team but we need to separate fact from fantasy
Well a simple google search of "2013 NHL predictions" will show you that it's not simply Canucks fans but some of the media is actually predicting the Canucks to do quite well once again.

Even Vegas had the Canucks as the favourites from the west. The Rangers were 15-2 overall favourites, the Penguins were next with 8-1 odds, then the Canucks at 10-1. The closest out of the west were the Kings at 12-1.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If the Canucks can get and stay healthy they should be as dangerous as any team in the league this season.

Even if they can just keep four or five of their top six defensemen healthy and not sustain a string of bad injuries to the forward group they should very much be in the mix for the division and one of the top four or five teams in the Conference..

But it's hard to say for sure until we see how they fare against a good team that is playing well. Tonight will be interesting.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

How are your predictions holding up Mëds?