Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Bottom line, this team is a good regular season team but the real season - the playoffs, their game doesn't translate well from regular season to playoffs.

I don't expect anything different come the playoffs this coming season if this core group remains the same.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4292
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Canucks looking at huge D-man Douglas Murray

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/08/13 ... um=twitter
The Canucks have been kicking the tires on huge free agent defenceman Douglas Murray, his agent confirmed on Tuesday morning.

“We’ve talked to them off and on all summer,” said player agent Anton Thun. “At this point we’re not close to signing. There are a group of clubs that have interest, so it comes down to the right circumstances and the right dollars. At this point in time there’s a gridlock in terms of cap space and money availability with a number of clubs. Until some of that shakes out and the dominoes start to fall, I think the market is going to be tight. Whenever that starts to shake out, we’ll react accordingly as to what might be the right place.”

The Canucks have just six defencemen signed to NHL contracts next season – two under the usual number – and two of those are fringer Yannick Weber and rookie Frank Corrado. Even if they get a deal done for restricted free agent Chris Tanev, that leaves the blueline numbers one short. Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman has acknowledged the team is looking to add a D-man with NHL experience.

Gilman said Murray is just one in a group of defencemen the team is considering.

“We are looking to add another NHL calibre defenceman to our group and have had discussions with numerous agents regarding various players currently available in the market,” Gilman said in a text message.

Murray, 33, is nothing if not imposing. He’s listed at 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds, but that seems light to anyone who’s stood next to the native of Bromma, Sweden.

His strengths are positional play, penalty kill, shot-blocking, making it unpleasant for opposing players to hang out near his goaltender’s crease and standing up for teammates when necessary.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby ukcanuck » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:02 pm

His strengths are positional play, penalty kill, shot-blocking, making it unpleasant for opposing players to hang out near his goaltender’s crease and standing up for teammates when necessary.


just felt that needs repeating....
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Zedlee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Murray would look great, but given the lack of cap room, I"m sure the Canucks hope to get him at a bargain price. Similar to the $1 million contract they gave to Torres a couple years ago.
Zedlee
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:37 pm

So between Murray, Fistric and Alberts, who would be the best fit?

Murray brings ridiculous size and can add a much-needed intimidation factor, but he's a pylon.

Fistric is the best hitter of the group, something we also sorely need, but again he gets burned more often than Meds in a spelling bee.

Alberts might actually be the best option of the three... he's got a combination of all the factors listed above, he's probably more affordable, and he really improved his gap control last season. That said, Alberts is the same ole same ole, and as fans we tend to get more excited about new blood.

You know it's been a boring fucking summer when our biggest personnel decision involves a #6 D-man. :lol:

I blame Obama.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Under Royaldude's bed

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:So between Murray, Fistric and Alberts, who would be the best fit?

Murray brings ridiculous size and can add a much-needed intimidation factor, but he's a pylon.

Fistric is the best hitter of the group, something we also sorely need, but again he gets burned more often than Meds in a spelling bee.

Alberts might actually be the best option of the three... he's got a combination of all the factors listed above, he's probably more affordable, and he really improved his gap control last season. That said, Alberts is the same ole same ole, and as fans we tend to get more excited about new blood.

You know it's been a boring fucking summer when our biggest personnel decision involves a #6 D-man. :lol:

I blame Obama.


Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby ESQ » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Jovocop wrote:Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.

Murray was a top-4 d, and prior to last year was logging major ES and PK minutes, but zero PP minutes, which put him at #4 on the Sharks. Last year his icetime fell back, but he was still the top PK defenseman. Following his trade, his ES and PK icetime got bumped up.

Murray averaged about 5 minutes more ES time per game than Alberts, and 2 minutes more PK time per game. That is substantial, and having a #5 dman like Murray who can eat up ES and PK minutes, freeing up guys like Bieksa and Edler (and Hamhuis for that matter) to get more PP time could be great. That is definitely something Alberts can't provide, and I doubt if Fistric could either.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby ukcanuck » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:41 pm

What's suppose luongo takes care of Murray's steak bill on the road...
(If in fact we could land the big man.)
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 pm

ESQ wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.

Murray was a top-4 d, and prior to last year was logging major ES and PK minutes, but zero PP minutes, which put him at #4 on the Sharks. Last year his icetime fell back, but he was still the top PK defenseman. Following his trade, his ES and PK icetime got bumped up.

Murray averaged about 5 minutes more ES time per game than Alberts, and 2 minutes more PK time per game. That is substantial, and having a #5 dman like Murray who can eat up ES and PK minutes, freeing up guys like Bieksa and Edler (and Hamhuis for that matter) to get more PP time could be great. That is definitely something Alberts can't provide, and I doubt if Fistric could either.


I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby $lacker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Jovocop wrote:I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.


I like Murray but a 3 year deal doesn't feel right. He's 33 and slow, and he aint' getting any quicker.

2 yrs at $2mill per? Now we're talking! :D
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:00 pm

$lacker wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.


I like Murray but a 3 year deal doesn't feel right. He's 33 and slow, and he aint' getting any quicker.

2 yrs at $2mill per? Now we're talking! :D


I got a feeling that Murray is looking for term more than money. Perhaps something like 3-yrs $7m would do (2.5, 2.5, & 2). If the salary cap keeps going up in the next two seasons, the $2m would be a bargain for a 6th or 7th D-man in 2015. ;)
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 pm

You also want a very limited NTC. I'm sure he will want one so you limit it. If the team tanks he becomes a tradable commodity, not for much but a 2nd perhaps.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3499
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Poor Luongo, his MB SUV's tires were stolen.

Image

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/08/13 ... witterfeed

Luongo seems to have a pretty good relationship with Lack. :lol:

Eddie Lack ‏@eddielack
@strombone1 I DIDN'T DO IT I SWEAR!!!!!

Strombone ‏@strombone1
@eddielack I know for a fact it wasn't you cuz you'd probably still be out there trying to take the first tire off

Eddie Lack ‏@eddielack
@strombone1 if it was me I would leave a meatball as a signature card! #wetbandits

Strombone ‏@strombone1
@eddielack leaving a trail of sauce all the way back to your house.......
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:So between Murray, Fistric and Alberts, who would be the best fit?

Murray brings ridiculous size and can add a much-needed intimidation factor, but he's a pylon.

Fistric is the best hitter of the group, something we also sorely need, but again he gets burned more often than Meds in a spelling bee.

Alberts might actually be the best option of the three... he's got a combination of all the factors listed above, he's probably more affordable, and he really improved his gap control last season.


Murray was once a top 4 defenseman.

Well sort of.

He's still much more effective than Alberts/Fistric.

Murray is a SOLID #6 (you don't move him in and out of the press box like an Alberts or a Fistric

And Murray is BY FAR the bigger asshole.

Douglas Murray is going to kill someone one day.

I sincerely hope your Vancouver Canucks him asap. :thumbs:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Jovocop wrote:I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.


The way contracts are going of late I'd say they both sign for around $1.2m per each.
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron