Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by dbr » Thu May 05, 2016 9:35 am

Please expand on exactly how Green is not only an above average AHL coach, but also a superior NHL coach in waiting.

dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dangler » Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 am

micky107 wrote:This is not an easy post for me but I have to make it, that's just the way I am.
Regardless of the vote of confidence made for WD remaining as coach.
It is my "VERY" strong opinion that, before it's too late, management must backtrack on that no matter how bad it looks.
It would be not just unwise but absolutely stupid to lose Travis Green to another team.
That means he would have to be strongly offered the head coaching job with the Canucks this coming season.
If we do lose Green, that will go down in my books as the first "MAJOR MISTAKE" of the new regime....
I apologize for being so brazen, no choice.
With where the organization is in regards to developing prospects Greens presence in Utica is very important.

If losing him is a legitimate concern then the aquamen should sweeten his deal.
Retool Rebuild

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu May 05, 2016 11:38 am

dangler wrote:
micky107 wrote:This is not an easy post for me but I have to make it, that's just the way I am.
Regardless of the vote of confidence made for WD remaining as coach.
It is my "VERY" strong opinion that, before it's too late, management must backtrack on that no matter how bad it looks.
It would be not just unwise but absolutely stupid to lose Travis Green to another team.
That means he would have to be strongly offered the head coaching job with the Canucks this coming season.
If we do lose Green, that will go down in my books as the first "MAJOR MISTAKE" of the new regime....
I apologize for being so brazen, no choice.
With where the organization is in regards to developing prospects Greens presence in Utica is very important.

If losing him is a legitimate concern then the aquamen should sweeten his deal.
Well they're a lot of coaches looking for spots:

Boudreau the top dog available coach, other Jack Adams winners include MacLean and Hartley avail.

Yeo, Carlyle, Boucher, Crow, Cameron, Dineen, Caps asst. Todd Reirden, Flyers ahl coach Scott Gordon, and college coaches Nate Leaman plus Jim Montgomery are also looking for NHL coaching gigs.

WD gets one more year to quickly revamp this squad next season, if he can't do that, Green IF he stays probably gets his spot.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Just like a player, a coach resume in the Juniors or AHL means nothing in the NHL. Too many times we have heard about the "the next one" coach or player only to fall flat on their face.

Look toward the leadership in Vancouver to do what is right and leave the 2nd guessing to the people who will say "I told you so" in 1- 2 years.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Unfortunately, Green made it very clear, as reported yesterday, that he was very ready to take the step to the NHL.
One could take that at face value. One could also take it as a message to Canuck management.
I don't believe Aquillini's wallet will keep him in Utica.
In regards to those that say coaching at the AHL or college level means nothing in the NHL, in this case I disagree.
I guess we will find out in a year or so, as mentioned above.
Don't think we're gonna like it, but oh well, W/E.
"evolution"

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:45 pm

micky107 wrote:Unfortunately, Green made it very clear, as reported yesterday, that he was very ready to take the step to the NHL.
Perhaps he'd consider wetting his feet as an assistant!

The Canucks can promote him and it would demonstrate a progressive plan for an eventual opportunity as a head coach in the organization.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... ob-hartley
From the above article:
“I think I’m ready,” Green said Tuesday. “Every job in the NHL is worth its weight in gold, and I would have 100 per cent interest at options with every team in the league. You hope all your qualities are enticing for one of them.

“I came into this league (AHL) looking to eventually coach in the NHL,” stressed Green. “This is a great development league for coaches and I’ve learned a lot since I’ve been here.”
He doesn't state specifically a head coaching position. Many AHL coaches graduate to an assistant in the NHL before getting a shot at a head coach job.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
micky107 wrote:Unfortunately, Green made it very clear, as reported yesterday, that he was very ready to take the step to the NHL.
Perhaps he'd consider wetting his feet as an assistant!

The Canucks can promote him and it would demonstrate a progressive plan for an eventual opportunity as a head coach in the organization.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... ob-hartley
From the above article:
“I think I’m ready,” Green said Tuesday. “Every job in the NHL is worth its weight in gold, and I would have 100 per cent interest at options with every team in the league. You hope all your qualities are enticing for one of them.

“I came into this league (AHL) looking to eventually coach in the NHL,” stressed Green. “This is a great development league for coaches and I’ve learned a lot since I’ve been here.”
He doesn't state specifically a head coaching position. Many AHL coaches graduate to an assistant in the NHL before getting a shot at a head coach job.
You have given me hope. I can see that, maybe. He does know and has worked with some of the players.
Fingers crossed...
"evolution"

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Thu May 05, 2016 2:39 pm

micky107 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:[
He (Green) doesn't state specifically a head coaching position. Many AHL coaches graduate to an assistant in the NHL before getting a shot at a head coach job.
You have given me hope. I can see that, maybe. He does know and has worked with some of the players.
Fingers crossed...
What's with the sticky man-love for Green. Yes he is a good AHL coach, but you talk like he is worth more than the #1 overall draft pick. What are the rest of us missing??
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu May 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Ya, Green is a good AHL. He gets a ton of praise for developing younger players. So did Eakins. So did Willie by the way. Willie was seen as the top coach in the AHL and had numerous options open to him including the Pens. He has an out clause he can exercise before the draft. Of course he's going to put his name out there and so he should.

The Canucks have not given up on Willie and won't dump him to keep Green happy. Maybe they sit down and offer him an assistants job but they would still have to get him under contract past this year. All that Green is doing by being vocal is letting teams know he's interested. Like I said he has a short window to exercise his out clause for the upcoming season. It's not displeasure or impatience on his part. He's letting teams know they can come calling. If we make it to the draft and he is still here he will still be here to work out his last year on his contract.

If a team offers him an assistants job the Canucks can match if they want to keep him around. We stand a chance to lose him but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Holly hell, Boudreau is available. Maybe we should grab him while we can. He at least has an NHL track record.
The only HW the Canucks need

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:15 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya, Green is a good AHL. He gets a ton of praise for developing younger players. So did Eakins. So did Willie by the way. Willie was seen as the top coach in the AHL and had numerous options open to him including the Pens. He has an out clause he can exercise before the draft. Of course he's going to put his name out there and so he should.

The Canucks have not given up on Willie and won't dump him to keep Green happy. Maybe they sit down and offer him an assistants job but they would still have to get him under contract past this year. All that Green is doing by being vocal is letting teams know he's interested. Like I said he has a short window to exercise his out clause for the upcoming season. It's not displeasure or impatience on his part. He's letting teams know they can come calling. If we make it to the draft and he is still here he will still be here to work out his last year on his contract.

If a team offers him an assistants job the Canucks can match if they want to keep him around. We stand a chance to lose him but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Holly hell, Boudreau is available. Maybe we should grab him while we can. He at least has an NHL track record.

ha ha ha !
So WTF is an NHL track record.
It's when an old tire is worn down and they stick a fresh layer of tread on it.
I believe that's called a RETREAD.
Apparently, or so I've heard, if you go tooooo fast with them, they BLOW..

Seriously, I think Green will be an excellent NHL coach. If it can be worked out that he assists here, great.
"evolution"

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu May 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Green may very well turn out to be a good NHL coach. But what are you basing it on? As I said before both Eakins and Willie were touted to be very good NHL coaches based upon their AHL records and both were highly sought after.
The only HW the Canucks need

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Green may very well turn out to be a good NHL coach. But what are you basing it on? As I said before both Eakins and Willie were touted to be very good NHL coaches based upon their AHL records and both were highly sought after.
My GUT Lady, my gut!
My own personal feeling for whatever I know bout this ole hockey game.
Some times I like to think and theorize all on my lonesome.
No quotes from experts,
No reports,
No statistics,
Just what I think. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
"evolution"

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Thu May 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Bruce "Haagen-Daaz" Boudreau would be a perfect fit. Both sides have a track record of losing game 7s.

:mrgreen:
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu May 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Green might be a good fit to succeed Willie if we don't see better results next season and Benning decides it's time for a change up behind the bench.

Could be worth offering an assistants job this year to keep him in any case. He has a history with some of our young players and that might carry over.....just gotta be careful and not get sucked into AHL success with young players or you might end up going hard after Dallas Eakins.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

And coaching isn't everything, Toronto has one of the best coaches ever and they had the shittiest of season's, out tanking the entire league.

So WD's good for one more season hah.

It's if you are contending do you want a veteran coach, basically the right coach for the right set of players and skill set your team has.

Plus other's are right, about all the AHL coaches who win a championship - doesn't always equate NHL success, some are lucky their NHL affiliate stacked their AHL squad.

- "Show me a good goalie and I will show you a good coach."

- Phil Jackson had superstars, Scotty Bowman had superstars.
-------------------------

In any case, #FixTheDefense
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."