Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Now that I hear his reasoning for signing with the Canucks, especially in light of the fact he signed on to play in the ECHL, it makes so much sense. I remember how Markstrom was touted as the best goaltender not playing in the NHL. But he looked horrible in his chances in Florida and early here with the Canucks. Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.

The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.

I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
The only HW the Canucks need

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.
And that someone would be.... yours truly! :D
Hockey Widow wrote: The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.
Yup, your Vancouveer Canucks are a Goalie Factory...
Hockey Widow wrote: I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
You're welcome. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.
And that someone would be.... yours truly! :D
Hockey Widow wrote: The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.
Yup, your Vancouveer Canucks are a Goalie Factory...
Hockey Widow wrote: I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
You're welcome. :mrgreen:
All of which makes me wonder why (if the rumors are true) Rollie is/has moved on?

It seems like he was doing a great job since pretty much every canuck goalie to work with him has improved.

Do goalie coaches grow on trees ?

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:29 pm

Maybe he is staying on to help in Kalamazoo and Utica??? Maybe he'll just switch roles with Potvin.
The only HW the Canucks need

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:38 pm

It doesn't seem like miller enjoyed his help much though perhaps there is something not right there?

If that's the case, I'd rather keep the coach.

Warning... The above statement is just an opinion and in no way reflects the views on Benning of the managers of this post.

We at Ukcanuck.com are completely on board with Hmcs Benning

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Well, Miller is a veteran and has put in the work for years to refine his style and has had success with it, so I would understand if he didn't want to alter it too much. It sounded like he kept an open mind even if he refused to implement everything Rollie advised.

Wasn't Lu also the same way... at least initially? I seem to recall he continued with his own coach when Ian Clark or Rollie came aboard.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:56 pm

Hank wrote:Well, Miller is a veteran and has put in the work for years to refine his style and has had success with it, so I would understand if he didn't want to alter it too much. It sounded like he kept an open mind even if he refused to implement everything Rollie advised.

Wasn't Lu also the same way... at least initially? I seem to recall he continued with his own coach when Ian Clark or Rollie came aboard.
That is also my recollection

But I don't mean to say miller is wrong for not becoming an acolyte just spitballing the reasons for Rolly moving on

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Rollie is going back East to take care of his mother.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... alie-coach

He says being a goalie coach is a full time duty, he won't do it part-time.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:27 am

Bennings Geniusness at rebuilding the shit show handed to him by Gillis is nothing short of amazing.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:30 am

ukcanuck wrote:
Hank wrote:Well, Miller is a veteran and has put in the work for years to refine his style and has had success with it, so I would understand if he didn't want to alter it too much. It sounded like he kept an open mind even if he refused to implement everything Rollie advised.

That is also my recollection

But I don't mean to say miller is wrong for not becoming an acolyte just spitballing the reasons for Rolly moving on
Yeah, sometimes life happens.

I hope Clouts can teach the new kids how to stop beach balls.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:55 am

RoyalDude wrote:Bennings Geniusness at rebuilding the shit show handed to him by Gillis is nothing short of amazing.
"Quinn chose Alek Stojanov seventh overall in 1991 and Libor Polasek in the first round a year later. Burke followed the Sedin draft by taking Nathan Smith in the first round in 2000, and impetuously sacrificed 2001 top pick R.J. Umberger to rent Martin Rucinsky for a few weeks in 2004. GM Dave Nonis was responsible for drafting Patrick White in 2007, Mike Gillis chose Jordan Schroeder in 2009 and gave away his top pick in 2010 for depth defenceman Keith Ballard.

Jim Benning, who chose Jake Virtanen sixth-overall in 2014 and Brock Boeser 23rd last year, hasn’t been the Canucks’ GM long enough to make an obvious mistake at the draft."
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

givemeda411
CC Veteran

Post by givemeda411 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:39 pm

Saw on twitter that Canucks prospect Guillaume Brisebois has requested a trade from his QMJHL team because...his team sucks and can't score goals, he's tired of carrying the bulk of the workload on defense because it hinders his offensive game. If he's not traded he'll head over to the USHL.

dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dangler » Wed May 04, 2016 6:44 pm

Elliotte Friedman: College free agent Drake Caggiula returned home on Sunday after visiting approximately eight teams. He is expected to make a decision later this week. It’s believed he visited the Sabres, Blackhawks, Oilers, Senators, Flyers, Penguins, Lightning and Canucks.

Plenty of teams vying for his services
Retool Rebuild

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu May 05, 2016 12:18 am

Good to see some fire in Brisebois belly, hope he can take his game further next season.

Caggiula if he came here would be awesome, our LW side needs that guy.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:19 am

This is not an easy post for me but I have to make it, that's just the way I am.
Regardless of the vote of confidence made for WD remaining as coach.
It is my "VERY" strong opinion that, before it's too late, management must backtrack on that no matter how bad it looks.
It would be not just unwise but absolutely stupid to lose Travis Green to another team.
That means he would have to be strongly offered the head coaching job with the Canucks this coming season.
If we do lose Green, that will go down in my books as the first "MAJOR MISTAKE" of the new regime....
I apologize for being so brazen, no choice.
"evolution"