Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Arachnid » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Topper wrote:What's happening Saturday?
Diapers will be changed...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17637
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Topper wrote:What's happening Saturday?
I'm going to visit Rummy in the hospital.... damn gangsters shot him again!

(I'll leave the room when the nurse changes his diaper Spidey)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by TDA Rum » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Nice signing Mr Benning!!


NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 5m5 minutes ago
#Canucks sign G Michael Garteig to a 1-year deal. The 24-year old just completed his senior season with Quinnipiac University

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/04/canu ... l-garteig/

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9501
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:30 pm

TDA Rum wrote:Nice signing Mr Benning!!


NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 5m5 minutes ago
#Canucks sign G Michael Garteig to a 1-year deal. The 24-year old just completed his senior season with Quinnipiac University

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/04/canu ... l-garteig/
start from goalie on out mantra, kudos to jb/nux.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13383
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:34 pm

This totally surprises me. Not that the Canucks signed him but he would come here with Demko in the fold. If I'm advising him I'm advising him to sign elsewhere to hopefull earn an easier road to playing in the NHL one day.

I think it's clear Cannata will not be re-signed now and Bachman will mentor Demko, unless Benning has the balls to let both of the kids fight over the Utica net next year.

Well done Benning.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9501
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:41 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:This totally surprises me. Not that the Canucks signed him but he would come here with Demko in the fold. If I'm advising him I'm advising him to sign elsewhere to hopefull earn an easier road to playing in the NHL one day.

I think it's clear Cannata will not be re-signed now and Bachman will mentor Demko, unless Benning has the balls to let both of the kids fight over the Utica net next year.

Well done Benning.
AHL: Demko/Bachman
ECHL: Garteig
:thumbs:
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4938
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by micky107 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:52 pm

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:This totally surprises me. Not that the Canucks signed him but he would come here with Demko in the fold. If I'm advising him I'm advising him to sign elsewhere to hopefull earn an easier road to playing in the NHL one day.

I think it's clear Cannata will not be re-signed now and Bachman will mentor Demko, unless Benning has the balls to let both of the kids fight over the Utica net next year.

Well done Benning.
AHL: Demko/Bachman
ECHL: Garteig
:thumbs:
Hey; Great news even more so if there is an expansion draft... :)
"evolution"

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9896
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Topper » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Benning encouraging the camp battle.

For what it's worth, could be Demko/Garteig in Utica
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13383
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Also of note his ELC is for one year due to his age.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Arachnid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:This totally surprises me. Not that the Canucks signed him but he would come here with Demko in the fold. If I'm advising him I'm advising him to sign elsewhere to hopefull earn an easier road to playing in the NHL one day.

I think it's clear Cannata will not be re-signed now and Bachman will mentor Demko, unless Benning has the balls to let both of the kids fight over the Utica net next year.

Well done Benning.
Yeah, no, I'm not surprised and the sheer talent and scouting skill of GMJB...Ignowski Is A Genius™ :mrgreen:

More proven college pros please.....

There could be 2 more...just say'n 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13383
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:38 pm

A little bit on Garteig:

Signed with the expectations to play in the ECHL. Of course he gets the opportunity to go to camp and compete.

Had offers from other teams to be able to play in the AHL next season as opposed to the ECHL.

Picked the Canucks because they utilize goalie coaches and that extends to the ECHL. Never got an opportunity to work with a goalie coach until he was 19. Had to get their on his own and knows the value of having a good coach and a chance to develop the pro game. Other teams didn't have either a strong goalie coach or the coach did not extend to work with goalies in the AHL. (Markstrom was victim to this keep in mind) Believes working with a good goalie coach is his best chance at transitioning to the pro game and learning what he needs to learn.

He will be 25 at the start of the season.

Biggest reason he signed with the Canucks? He never wants to face Boeser again! Guy has a sense of humour :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17637
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: He will be 25 at the start of the season.
24, but who's counting. :mrgreen:

(doesn't turn 25 til November)

Yeah, I hear 8 NHL teams offered him depth positions in their organizations.

He might have to start in the ECHL, but when Demko makes the bigs, Garteig could be The Man in Utica.

Great depth signing, and who knows maybe a few years down the road he's Thatcher's backup in the NHL.

Stranger things have happened.

Good job Mr Benning.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13383
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Now that I hear his reasoning for signing with the Canucks, especially in light of the fact he signed on to play in the ECHL, it makes so much sense. I remember how Markstrom was touted as the best goaltender not playing in the NHL. But he looked horrible in his chances in Florida and early here with the Canucks. Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.

The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.

I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17637
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.
And that someone would be.... yours truly! :D
Hockey Widow wrote: The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.
Yup, your Vancouveer Canucks are a Goalie Factory...
Hockey Widow wrote: I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
You're welcome. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3496
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ukcanuck » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.
And that someone would be.... yours truly! :D
Hockey Widow wrote: The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.
Yup, your Vancouveer Canucks are a Goalie Factory...
Hockey Widow wrote: I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
You're welcome. :mrgreen:
All of which makes me wonder why (if the rumors are true) Rollie is/has moved on?

It seems like he was doing a great job since pretty much every canuck goalie to work with him has improved.

Do goalie coaches grow on trees ?

Locked