Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:26 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Wonder if they give him a one way contract.
Aren't all ELC's two-way contracts?

User avatar
Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 3925
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hank » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:34 pm

SKYO wrote:
Yup don't fcuk around with Russians or else they bolt haha.

I always think, how would Bowman/Blackhawks tackle this situation? First thing get a russian translator / get him comfortable with the North American transition.

Then get him laced up and say, go, win, hit, defend.
Bowman: "He'll never have to earn a top 6 spot, sacrifice like his teammates or learn to play NHL-caliber defence... as long as he puts up points. And tell him, he's playing with Kane."

Translator: "Da."
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15197
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Wonder if they give him a one way contract.
Aren't all ELC's two-way contracts?
Are they? OK that answers that then. Thanks.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Wonder if they give him a one way contract.
Aren't all ELC's two-way contracts?
Are they? OK that answers that then. Thanks.
One thing they could do (I think) is start offering bonuses to get him to sign. Something like "Play 25 NHL games" could be worth $500,000K (or whatever) to him, up to a rookie max of $3.75ish (total) million. As long as the Canucks factor those potential bonuses into their cap planning they wouldn't have to worry about overages the following season.

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Arachnid » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:24 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Trymakin to Canucks all but confirmed by Benning:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/nikit ... story.html

Benning has confirmed that he has been released from his KHL contract and all that needs to be done is the Visa and final paperwork for the ELC. Hopes to have him in Vancouver within a week, practicing with the club. The goal is to get him some NHL action this season.

Benning also stated that Trymakin has never told the Canucks he won't report to Utica if they assign him there next season but recognizes that with Russian players it is always a concern they won't put in the development time if needed. There will be no " AHL" out clauses.

Benning says the club is excited to get him here and see where he measures up in the NHL but if he isn't ready for the NHL next season he won't be "forced" onto the team.

Good news and something to be excited about. Can't wait to see him in the line up. Wonder if they give him a one way contract.
Is the Russian Canuck Bure curse over? :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by CrzyCanuck » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 am

Tryamkin can pick up Chubarov's truck at the stadium :lol:
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3050
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by dbr » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Brock Boeser - 1 goal 1 assist last game. Now has 25 goals 18 assist in 35 games as a freshman. Gonna beat Oshies rookie scoring record at ND in less games. Unfuckinbelievable. Benning is truly a drafting wizard. Boeser picked 24th overall. McCann - 24th overall, Demko 2nd round pick, Tryamkin! Apparently Brisebios is having a GREAT year!
It's great to see. I wish Jim would give himself a few more chances to nab players like this.
How many draft picks do you feel he needs?

You can stockpile picks and hope for the best but you can't keep every pick if they all turn into NHL players. Don't get me wrong, I get the more picks we have the better out chance of picking up some blue-chip prospects but there are limitations and we should space out our development. Teams have finite resources when it comes to developing players, which includes the Cap, roster spaces, contracts, personnel, not to mention money.
Well - if keeping all of his draft picks means that Jim Benning drafts so many obviously surefire prospects that the franchise has trouble finding places for them, then he can then trade those (inherently more valuable than the picks used to select them - since they are already panning out) prospects when the time comes.

But I think we all know that's not likely to be the outcome, even if we're all pleased at this juncture with his picks thusfar.

I just know that historically, teams that give themselves leeway to take risks at the draft (by having more picks) often come away with the home run selections.. players like PK Subban and Shea Weber and Brandon Saad and (going on memory here) Milan Lucic were all taken in situations where a team had already had a few selections and took what was seen as a big risk.

Maybe Jim Benning is going to take those risks and have them pay off without the extra picks, that'd be great. But I'm not going to just assume that which is why it'd be great to see the team set themselves up a little better.
He's done a good job filling the prospect gap left by the previous regime and I would wager a guess that Benning will slow on the moving of picks for young 20 year olds and hold on to his picks!
That's what I say every time he trades one. Hopefully one day soon I'll be right. ;)

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Arachnid » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:49 am

dbr wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Brock Boeser - 1 goal 1 assist last game. Now has 25 goals 18 assist in 35 games as a freshman. Gonna beat Oshies rookie scoring record at ND in less games. Unfuckinbelievable. Benning is truly a drafting wizard. Boeser picked 24th overall. McCann - 24th overall, Demko 2nd round pick, Tryamkin! Apparently Brisebios is having a GREAT year!
It's great to see. I wish Jim would give himself a few more chances to nab players like this.
How many draft picks do you feel he needs?

You can stockpile picks and hope for the best but you can't keep every pick if they all turn into NHL players. Don't get me wrong, I get the more picks we have the better out chance of picking up some blue-chip prospects but there are limitations and we should space out our development. Teams have finite resources when it comes to developing players, which includes the Cap, roster spaces, contracts, personnel, not to mention money.
Well - if keeping all of his draft picks means that Jim Benning drafts so many obviously surefire prospects that the franchise has trouble finding places for them, then he can then trade those (inherently more valuable than the picks used to select them - since they are already panning out) prospects when the time comes.

But I think we all know that's not likely to be the outcome, even if we're all pleased at this juncture with his picks thusfar.

I just know that historically, teams that give themselves leeway to take risks at the draft (by having more picks) often come away with the home run selections.. players like PK Subban and Shea Weber and Brandon Saad and (going on memory here) Milan Lucic were all taken in situations where a team had already had a few selections and took what was seen as a big risk.

Maybe Jim Benning is going to take those risks and have them pay off without the extra picks, that'd be great. But I'm not going to just assume that which is why it'd be great to see the team set themselves up a little better.
He's done a good job filling the prospect gap left by the previous regime and I would wager a guess that Benning will slow on the moving of picks for young 20 year olds and hold on to his picks!
That's what I say every time he trades one. Hopefully one day soon I'll be right. ;)
This team should be alright by 2020. Glad I'm on the wagon train now as opposed to hoping on and off like a salamander...

Go Young Canucks Go!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Aaronp18 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:25 pm

dbr wrote: That's what I say every time he trades one. Hopefully one day soon I'll be right. ;)
He hasn't even been on the job for 2 years yet. :hmmm:

I'd say a little more patience is in order considering the roster turnover we've seen thus far.

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Arachnid » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
dbr wrote: That's what I say every time he trades one. Hopefully one day soon I'll be right. ;)
He hasn't even been on the job for 2 years yet. :hmmm:

I'd say a little more patience is in order considering the roster turnover we've seen thus far.
Yeah, it's pretty funny...all the panty wearers on here that fault him for fucking up the rebuild.

It's his team, it's not his team...make up your fucking mind...it won't be his team until 2020 ;)

I say we crack open a few brewskis and sit back and enjoy the ride/debate the details (not the drama ;) ).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8238
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Cornuck » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Brock update: NCHC scoring champ Boeser earns weekly honors

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =210779761
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11113
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Topper » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Cornuck wrote:Brock update: NCHC scoring champ Boeser earns weekly honors

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =210779761
For the fifth time this season, University of North Dakota freshman forward Brock Boeser has earned weekly recognition from the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC)
Was he a top five pick.......Mondi asked.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:03 pm

News1130:

Have learned the #Canucks have signed defenseman Nikita Tryamkin to a 2 year entry level cap deal.

Tryamkin gets 832,500 dollars NHL base, 70,000 AHL salary. #Canucks

Tryamkin has option of going back to Russia and not the AHL if he doesn't make the #Canucks next year.

Will get a Russian translator to help with interviews.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15197
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:15 pm

SKYO wrote:News1130:

Have learned the #Canucks have signed defenseman Nikita Tryamkin to a 2 year entry level cap deal.

Tryamkin gets 832,500 dollars NHL base, 70,000 AHL salary. #Canucks

Tryamkin has option of going back to Russia and not the AHL if he doesn't make the #Canucks next year.

Will get a Russian translator to help with interviews.

Great news, good deal, not the ELC max. So they did give him an AHL out clause. I thought from Benning's comments that wasn't going to be the case. Hopefully he isn't a problem Russian child and is willing to put in his time. Wonder when he gets to Vancouver.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/03/canu ... -tryamkin/
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22179
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Can't blame the big guy for wanting to go back to the KHL if he can't make the cut with us next year.

He's already a pro, and might as well make the big bucks in Russia than the little bucks in the AHL.

Willie, put him in the lineup against the Beardos and learn how to say "KILL!!" in Russian.

Pedan too.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Locked