Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by BingoTough »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The Canucks draft Sergachyov. We then have The Three Giant Commies on defence - Tryamkin, Sergachyov and Pedan. Draft Logan Stanley with our 2nd pick who is 6'-6" and our defence goes from the shrimps to the REDwood forest

Stanley - 6'-6" - 210 lbs
Sergachyov - 6'-2" 205
Pedan - 6'-5" - 213 lbs
Tryamkin - 6'-8" - 230 lbs
Hutton - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Edler - 6'-3" - 215 lbs
Tanev - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Tate Olson - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Brisebios - 6'-2" - 175 lbs
Sbisa - 6'-2" - 200 lbs

Subban - 5'-3" - 135 lbs - Gillis draft pick. Shorter than the other shrimps Gillis drafted - Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin, Shinkaruk.
I see this sort of the other way around: Subban's potential is one of the reasons the Canucks want some other, very large defenders along the lines of those you list. A few, relatively rare, smaller players can make important contributions to a successful NHL team, but it is a disadvantage to have a smaller team overall, so if you have a couple of smaller players whose talent level makes you want to include them, you also want some very large players to even things out. That is to say, it is not necessarily a disadvantage to have a small defender as long as you don't have a small defence. If Tryamkim, Stanley, and Pedan can be contribute at the level of average NHL defenders, they will also offer the addition advantage of mitigating any disadvantage of employing Subban, if his talent level and other abilities prove to be such that the Canucks want him on the team.
Can somebody tell me why they don't try to convert Subban to a forward. He's good on offense, clearly lacks some of the physical attributes you would normally want to see in a defender? Surely somebody smarter than I am has looked at this.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Say hello to Tree

Post by lostinarink »

Tree on his way from Russia

For those wanting to practice their Russian:
http://www.hc-avto.ru/news/1232/
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Say hello to Tree

Post by lostinarink »

lostinarink wrote:Tree on his way from Russia

So the big question is:

Will he be a Redwood?
Or will he just be a big yEWWWWWW
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Nikita...wish good luck...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Well, it would be even better news if Tanev, indeed, is injured to the point he can't play the rest of the way (LTIR, Jimmy, LTIR...).

What can it hurt at this point to get him into the show now?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Benning is and continues to be, a GENIUS!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Strangelove wrote:Derek Dorsett, Luca Sbisa = they fill roles at the NHL level
Nick Bonino = We had to get a stopgap middle 6 centre back in the Kesler deal
Linden Vey = was a gamble (for the 50th o/a) that may not pay off. (shrug)
Ryan Miller = is an average #1 goalie on an average #1 goalie salary.
Radim Vrbata = was hailed by all of the top hockey pundits as the best UFA signing of 2014.
Andrey Pedan = You're whack if you don't think that was a good pickup. :mex:
Adam Clendening = played every game for 5 straight weeks after being picked up (due to a ridiculous rash of injuries). The prospect we gave up for him was not available for that. This was in the midst of a 101 point season.
Sven Baertschi = Benning raped Calgary.
Brandon Prust = Was a solid pickup in a cap-dump deal (Kassian). Played very well until the dreaded high-ankle sprain derailed his season.
Matt Bartkowski = One-year UFA stopgap.
Brandon Sutter = Foundational. Benning raped Pittsburgh.
Adam Cracknell = Beauty minimum wage depth UFA signing.
Emerson Etem = Too soon to say how he will shape up, but he cost next to nothing.
Markus Granlund = Benning raped Calgary (have you been watching the games?)
Philip Larsen = Benning raped Edmonton.
Appreciate the effort - but your response is best viewed through the rosiest of rose-coloured glasses.

I agree that some of these acquisitions are positive, but when the whole two years of collective moves is laid out, I see more misses than hits - thus the concern for Benning's future moves...

Let's not forget management views Dorsett as "foundational piece" - not just an NHL role-filler, and misjudged Prust: "he knows what his job is on the team and he’s going to show up and play physical every night". They wasted the promising Forsling on a slow, useless Clendening, thought Bartkowski was worth signing, and of course the sad reality of a bottom six $4.375M Sutter.

Speaking of Dorsett, I hope they are done with the bizarre "Willie nepotism" now that they have wasted assets on Dorsett, Vey, Etem, and maybe on Larsen.

Accepting that we are in a rebuild isn't the problem, it is not trusting the current GM to navigate back to competitive.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Canucks Army translation.

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/3/6/avtobom ... -to-canada

Seems his KHL club has now posted on their web site that they have agreed to release him but will retain his KHL rights should he return.

Hopefully this time it's true and the Canucks announce soon.

Also seems they have placed Edler on LTIR and he may be done for the season. Hoping Trymakin story is accurate this time.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

There will be more kids in the opening day lineup next year, probably a similar the number to now. They still need mentoring and it it too soon to give them the keys to the candy store.

I could see Miller out for a back up and give Markstrom the starting role for 45-50 games. While Edler has had a bad season, I don't see him moving.

Hamhuis will be passing around resumes, Verbata will be speaking his native tongue. We'd all like Burrows speaking his native language as well.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:There will be more kids in the opening day lineup next year, probably a similar the number to now. They still need mentoring and it it too soon to give them the keys to the candy store.

I could see Miller out for a back up and give Markstrom the starting role for 45-50 games. While Edler has had a bad season, I don't see him moving.

Hamhuis will be passing around resumes, Verbata will be speaking his native tongue. We'd all like Burrows speaking his native language as well.
Yup Miller/Marky combo.

Edler stays, even if tradeable, his NTC will once again limit JB's choices,
Edler-Tanev is our best combo moving forward.
Hutton - _____

offseason:
Hamhuis signs in Dallas.
Vrbata signs in Montreal.
Burrows probably goes to NYR - AV connection.
Chi/Van open up the Higgins for Bickell trade talks again.
Prust goes back east.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I could see Benning asking Burrows to move this summer.
If he maintains his moving 1 vet with a NTC/NMC per summer routine
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Appreciate the effort - but your response is best viewed through the rosiest of rose-coloured glasses.
I disagree...

Benning inherited a team on the wrong side of being in its prime which was littered with movement clauses and was not highly regarded around the league...

Some fans in Vancouver couldn't accept this fact and felt betrayed at the returns when players were moved...

To me that speaks more about the ignorance of those fans than it does about management...

Add that we seem to have one of the whinniest fan bases, especially those who like to post at Hockey's Futures...

That aside I like a manager who is decisive and understands holding out for the home run deal is another way of standing pat...

Some deals can be singles and some doubles and some complete misses, it's the resume of all good managers...

Time is making many of Bennings deals look better and causing many Nuck fans to eat crow....

With Benning being such a good evaluator of talent which takes much of his time, I can see the organization adding another assistant or two to help him and Wiesbrough out...

Take care..
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

rikster wrote:
I disagree...

Benning inherited a team on the wrong side of being in its prime which was littered with movement clauses and was not highly regarded around the league...

Some fans in Vancouver couldn't accept this fact and felt betrayed at the returns when players were moved...

To me that speaks more about the ignorance of those fans than it does about management...

Add that we seem to have one of the whinniest fan bases, especially those who like to post at Hockey's Futures...

That aside I like a manager who is decisive and understands holding out for the home run deal is another way of standing pat...

Some deals can be singles and some doubles and some complete misses, it's the resume of all good managers...

Time is making many of Bennings deals look better and causing many Nuck fans to eat crow....

With Benning being such a good evaluator of talent which takes much of his time, I can see the organization adding another assistant or two to help him and Wiesbrough out...

Take care..
Good post and what is wrong with rose coloured glasses anyway? Better than covered in gray or black which many fans of this team seem to have.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Topper wrote:There will be more kids in the opening day lineup next year, probably a similar the number to now. They still need mentoring and it it too soon to give them the keys to the candy store.

Yes, I must admit, Burrows seems to be at his best speaking his native language - "Shit Disturber"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Appreciate the effort - but your response is best viewed through the rosiest of rose-coloured glasses.

I agree that some of these acquisitions are positive, but when the whole two years of collective moves is laid out, I see more misses than hits - thus the concern for Benning's future moves...

Let's not forget management views Dorsett as "foundational piece" - not just an NHL role-filler, and misjudged Prust: "he knows what his job is on the team and he’s going to show up and play physical every night". They wasted the promising Forsling on a slow, useless Clendening, thought Bartkowski was worth signing, and of course the sad reality of a bottom six $4.375M Sutter.
I think it's clear by now that by "foundation piece" they mean "player who will remain through the rebuild".

(top-sixer Sutter, fourth-liner Dorsett)

Prust throughout his career has always "shown up and played physical every night"

... when he stopped doing that Benning dumped him.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill... Prust + 5th is the price we paid to dump a bad seed.

One year deal and now he's gone, the sky is not falling Chicken Little.

Forsling is just as "useless" as Clendening, so dry those tears there little fella!

Bartkowski was yet another one-year stopgap, seriously why are you shitting the bed over such as these?

"the sad reality of a bottom six $4.375M Sutter" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sutter is in his prime and has always played top-6 minutes (look it up).

The only "sad reality" here is that you are sadly out of touch with reality. Image
Southern_Canuck wrote: Accepting that we are in a rebuild isn't the problem, it is not trusting the current GM to navigate back to competitive.
Yeah, you're clearly not dealing in reality.

Reality: You don't have the stones for a rebuild (even though the rebuild is going splendidly).

"Sad" indeed! :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.