Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by 5thhorseman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:21 am

rats19 wrote:Never get old fifth.... 8-)
:)

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:42 am

Hockey Widow wrote:It was interesting today that Benning said the club will have 17+ million in free cap for FA season. The plus being whatever the cap increases by, if it increases.

Got me think g about who won't be back.

Vrbata. 5
Prust. 2.5
Vey. 1
Hamhuis. 4.5
Bartkowski 1.75
Weber. 1.5
Higgins. 2.5

So does that mean no Hamhuis or is he one of the targets? Or do they already figure him at 3-4 m? I wonder who on that list they will keep. The only one besides Hamhuis I could see is Bartkowski.

Linden also said today that they would like to keep Sutter with the twins next year. Wonder who of Hansen and Burrows will be gone.

The fun part of the season is almost here. That time when we all get to build a contender :roll:
Hansen gets the better return without having to retain salary, clears less cap but I suspect moving Burrows would require us retaining at least $1.5M next year. Better to sacrifice $1M in cap space and get a better return.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:57 am

The Canucks draft Sergachyov. We then have The Three Giant Commies on defence - Tryamkin, Sergachyov and Pedan. Draft Logan Stanley with our 2nd pick who is 6'-6" and our defence goes from the shrimps to the REDwood forest

Stanley - 6'-6" - 210 lbs
Sergachyov - 6'-2" 205
Pedan - 6'-5" - 213 lbs
Tryamkin - 6'-8" - 230 lbs
Hutton - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Edler - 6'-3" - 215 lbs
Tanev - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Tate Olson - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Brisebios - 6'-2" - 175 lbs
Sbisa - 6'-2" - 200 lbs

Subban - 5'-3" - 135 lbs - Gillis draft pick. Shorter than the other shrimps Gillis drafted - Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin, Shinkaruk.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:44 am

Boeser 2 goals 2 assists last night, yeah he sucks - 24 goals - 17 assists - 41 points - 33 games. Leading his team as a freshman in a league of 23-24 year olds. Goodbye Toews ND numbers, Brock is moving on. Benning is a genius drafter. Nails Jake and Jared and Thatcher and Tryamkin in his first draft, then Brock, Brisebios and Olson in his 2nd draft. Can you imagine what he could do in 6 drafts????

Dylan Larkin U of Michigan - 15 goals - 32 assists in 35 games as a freshman.

Benning the drafting genius is gonna fix the shit pile Gillis shat here
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:28 am

RoyalDude wrote:Boeser 2 goals 2 assists last night, yeah he sucks - 24 goals - 17 assists - 41 points - 33 games. Leading his team as a freshman in a league of 23-24 year olds. Goodbye Toews ND numbers, Brock is moving on. Benning is a genius drafter. Nails Jake and Jared and Thatcher and Tryamkin in his first draft, then Brock, Brisebios and Olson in his 2nd draft. Can you imagine what he could do in 6 drafts????

Dylan Larkin U of Michigan - 15 goals - 32 assists in 35 games as a freshman.

Benning the drafting genius is gonna fix the shit pile Gillis shat here

Yes there certainly is a lot to be excited about with respect to our future. This year should be another good year for us. Would have been nice to have another first but Benning seems to have done ok in other rounds as well. Now if he can just get us another D or two :mrgreen:

I also really like his pick ups of Etem, Granlund, Baertschi. Hopefully this Larsen kid turns out to be a good one too.
The only HW the Canucks need

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:40 am

Doc, Miller is barely an average goalie and he is paid top 10 so he DOES not have an average salary.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:17 am

Reefer2 wrote:Doc, Miller is barely an average goalie and he is paid top 10 so he DOES not have an average salary.
:look:
Getting old is not for the young...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:47 am

Reefer2 wrote:Doc, Miller is barely an average goalie and he is paid top 10 so he DOES not have an average salary.

Go ahead Doc, just post the link to where you already explained all this!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:51 am

According to Carol Schram, Hutton needs to clear waivers next year. If so our D would be:

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Sbisa
Biega

Pedan needs to clear waivers.
Larsen will be on the team.

Trymakin will be eligible to play in Utica but has said he won't do that which may be part of the negotiation.

That leaves no room for Hamhuis, Bartkowski or Weber without a trade somewhere along the line.

At the end of the year trade Hamhuis to Edmonton for a 4th.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:57 am

Hockey Widow wrote: At the end of the year trade Hamhuis to Edmonton for a 4th.
With the negotiating window prior to July 1st, I don't know why anyone would trade draft picks simply for the right to negotiate with a UFA.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:04 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:It was interesting today that Benning said the club will have 17+ million in free cap for FA season. The plus being whatever the cap increases by, if it increases.
Got me thinking about who won't be back.
So does that mean no Hamhuis or is he one of the targets? Or do they already figure him at 3-4 m? I wonder who on that list they will keep. The only one besides Hamhuis I could see is Bartkowski.

Linden also said today that they would like to keep Sutter with the twins next year. Wonder who of Hansen and Burrows will be gone.
I think Hamhuis is gone, JayG dilemna, too many left side dmen now that Hutton has emerged as a legitimate top 4 left side dman whose smart with the puck like a young Suter.

All efforts henceforth should be concentrated on acquiring a top 4 right side dman.
Edler Tanev
Hutton ________

Then we got Sbisa playing with the young inexperienced big d-corps of Tryamkin & Pedan,
the QB project Larson.
With Biega the reliable cheap depth guy.

UFA possibility is former KHL vet dman Evgeny Medvedev, he'd help transition Tryamkin to the NHL, a fellow countryman whose been through the NHL rigor for a year in philly cheese steak area.
RoyalDude wrote:The Canucks draft Sergachyov. We then have The Three Giant Commies on defence - Tryamkin, Sergachyov and Pedan. Draft Logan Stanley with our 2nd pick who is 6'-6" and our defence goes from the shrimps to the REDwood forest
He'd be good to draft just to help Tryamkin, our diamond in the rough guy, serg is no slouch, has some fire in his belly, and Tryamkin can take him under his condor wing, like hey comrade!
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:18 pm

SKYO wrote: All efforts henceforth should be concentrated on acquiring a top 4 right side dman.
Edler Tanev
Hutton ________

Then we got Sbisa playing with the young inexperienced big d-corps of Tryamkin & Pedan,
the QB project Larson.

Tryamkin won't be coming to play in the AHL, so he would slide in nicely in the 6th spot, right side ... and maybe crack the top 4 during the season, similar to Hutton this year. Two young defensemen in the top four? Possible but not likely ... trade time, JB.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:35 pm

rats19 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Doc, Miller is barely an average goalie and he is paid top 10 so he DOES not have an average salary.
:look:
Go ahead Doc, just post the link to where you already explained all this!
:D

viewtopic.php?p=251580#p251580
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:33 pm

RoyalDude wrote:The Canucks draft Sergachyov. We then have The Three Giant Commies on defence - Tryamkin, Sergachyov and Pedan. Draft Logan Stanley with our 2nd pick who is 6'-6" and our defence goes from the shrimps to the REDwood forest

Stanley - 6'-6" - 210 lbs
Sergachyov - 6'-2" 205
Pedan - 6'-5" - 213 lbs
Tryamkin - 6'-8" - 230 lbs
Hutton - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Edler - 6'-3" - 215 lbs
Tanev - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Tate Olson - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Brisebios - 6'-2" - 175 lbs
Sbisa - 6'-2" - 200 lbs

Subban - 5'-3" - 135 lbs - Gillis draft pick. Shorter than the other shrimps Gillis drafted - Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin, Shinkaruk.
I see this sort of the other way around: Subban's potential is one of the reasons the Canucks want some other, very large defenders along the lines of those you list. A few, relatively rare, smaller players can make important contributions to a successful NHL team, but it is a disadvantage to have a smaller team overall, so if you have a couple of smaller players whose talent level makes you want to include them, you also want some very large players to even things out. That is to say, it is not necessarily a disadvantage to have a small defender as long as you don't have a small defence. If Tryamkim, Stanley, and Pedan can be contribute at the level of average NHL defenders, they will also offer the addition advantage of mitigating any disadvantage of employing Subban, if his talent level and other abilities prove to be such that the Canucks want him on the team.

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:44 am

olpaddy wrote:
Trymakin and Pedan could allow Jake Bean to be food for thought....
Or, if you have doubts about Subban's development, this functionally equivalent idea from the entry draft thread.