Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO »

Ben Hutton quietly in 3rd place in points (19) for rookie dmen behind Gostisbehere and Parayko. :thumbs:

And one point behind Edler for team lead in canucks dmen points.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

SKYO wrote:Ben Hutton quietly in 3rd place in points (19) for rookie dmen behind Gostisbehere and Parayko. :thumbs:

And one point behind Edler for team lead in canucks dmen points.
Probably the bright spot of the 15/16 season, right there. I'm looking forward to his development and hopefully he can get the best attributes of both Edler and Tanev. I like the kid.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Getting old is not for the young...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hansen out day to day, or as Willie likes to say, for a bit. Virtanen will get a shot with the twins next.

Gaunce will play in place of Vrbata.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL, how many months have Doc and I been saying this.

I haven't had this much fun watching people finally clue in since CoHo was pumped and dumped.

I'm eating steak, how do you like your crow.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:

I haven't had this much fun watching people finally clue in since CoHo was pumped and dumped.

To the masses not directed specifically at moi....correct?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

rats19 wrote:
Topper wrote:

Generalized statement ratski!

Some can see the forest. Others ..... not so much.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:

*Ahem* After I have been saying it for over a year now...thanks for the validation bud...I look like a freak'n genius :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

"Play the kids and rebuild", that sure is a brave stance to take.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
"Play the kids and rebuild", that sure is a brave stance to take.
Yeah, almost as brave as the fan saying I cheer for my team to lose, I quit or hoping the Leaves win to pass us in the standings. :roll:

Fudge Pack™ not happy :(
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote:
Topper wrote:

:wink:
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: :wink:
LOFL... where have I seen that before. :lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:

about playing youth - frack I have been saying that for years

You have to have a plan to bring in youth, they dont need to waste their 20 - 24 years on the AHL an pray for a chance on the big team
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Tryamkin signed....someone find a link...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Canucks held a mini state of the union meeting with their season ticket holder's this morning. They took the unusual step to not have a live video feed this year. I believe there will also be an afternoon session.

With respect to the trade deadline, they indicated that his long as Russell was still available would not receive any firm offers for Hamhuis. Hamhuis only agreed to waive to one team, and consider waiving for a second team. As far as Dallas was concerned they were not prepared to make a firm offer as long as Russell was still in play. The Canucks and the Stars did hold discussions with respect to a framework of a deal but no deal was ever in place. Once Russell was traded to the stars there were no other options for him. It was always in control of Dallas.

The Canucks had discussions with a few teams with respect to Vrbata but at the end of the day they did not receive any concrete offers. They tried very hard to move him to a contender, to any of the 8 teams on his list, but at the end of the dat they did not receive any offers.

Linden stated that he and Benning have 100% autonomy to make any and all roster decisions. He denied that ownership vetoed any trades.

Stated that they will continue to move out players that they do not see fit into the long-term plans of the organization. They expect that they will be busy in the off season moving more players.

They expect to have a lot of cap room to work with after July 1 and have already targeted the players that they will be aggressively trying to sign if they are still available come July 1.

They believe they have a great developmental system in Utica and are very pleased with every aspect of the organization. They intend to call up as many players as they can between now and the end of the season to give them a taste of the NHL and to also further assess the readiness to play at the NHL level.

Reiterated that they were high Shinkaruk but felt that the acquisition of Granlund gave them a better all-around player that fit into their long range plans. Weren't 100% confident that Shinkaruk's game could translate into the NHL in the near future.

Said they received a lot of calls before and on the trade deadline day about players like Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Demko. Reiterated that they were not prepared to move any of those players. Did not rule out the possibility that one or more of those players could be in play but it would have to be a hockey trade that made the team better now and moving forward. They will not trade any of those players for veteran players.

Was asked about why there was a list from Vancouver of players that were available. Benning explained that there is a website set up for use by all NHL general managers where they can go in and put the names of all players they would consider trading. It is a tool the general managers can utilize on a regular basis to not only list their players but to track who is available. Who and why someone would leak the Vancouver list they do not know. But emphasized that all general managers utilize this tool and at all times there are lists of players from all teams that could be moved. The list includes prospects in the systems as well. This is an important tool for general managers to stay on top of who's available as well as to get the word out to players in their system that they would look to moving.

Found this interesting insight and really made me wonder who in the hell would have felt it necessary to leak the Vancouver list and make it sound like Vancouver had sent of this mysterious flyer to other general managers. Certainly sounds like some sort of subterfuge by someone who perhaps had some type of hidden agenda in trying to make a Canucks look bad. These lists are meant to be confidential and are meant to be a tool.

Spoke very highly of Boeser and Demko. Also confirmed that they are trying to get to Trymakin under contract. Those negotiations are going very well and they are hopeful that he will be playing for the Canucks before the end of the season. Hope to have Demko in Utica next season. Don't expect Boeser to leave college yet. Happy with where he is and his development.

In the upcoming draft they will again select best player available in all rounds. But they are very very aware that they need to begin to stockpile defensive prospects. Hopefully they have started that process with the recent trade with Edmonton and if they can get Tyrmakin and under contract.

So in summary it seems that they will once again this summer try to move a few veteran contracts if they can. It also confirms they expect to have a lot of cap space to work with. And it also confirms they have a list of several players that they intend to be very aggressive in targeting once free agency begins.
The only HW the Canucks need