Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I am sure the Canucks would love to give up a 4th rounder instead of the 5th rounder. It is indeed a very low risk gamble. If somehow both Pedan and Tryamkin make the team next season, the Canucks can afford to take a gamble on an undersize offensive defenseman, especially being a right handed one.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Elmer is a wizard.
Can you guys use this one instead of "Benning is a genius" from now on? It's much better.

I guess Edmonton wanted to bring Larsen back, but he didn't want to go there (according to his agent)?

Definitely a bit scary that we're hitting up the Oilers for defensive help.

Probably should just park this one until the training camp thread.
I vote for "Benning is a Warlock", myself.

For a bird-dog at heart, Benning has been pretty cavalier with the draft picks. KHL production notwithstanding, the guy is 26 and not the heaviest guy around. Maybe they hope he can be a better placeholder than Bartkowski and Weber were, but.... meh. :| Colour me underwhelmed.

The Coiler fans are already deeming this trade found money. Whatever they can grasp onto, I guess.

Dryden Hunt is intriguing if they do end up signing him, but then so was Darren Archibald when the UVic prof signed him.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jyrki21 wrote: Posting here for the first time in YEARS just because of how incensed learning this has made me.
Don’t post angry bro…
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jyrki21 wrote: This management group pulls opinions out of thin air and then acts as though they are gospel and moves mountains to pursue their own unscientific visions.
Hmmm... I read somewhere about the way to "move mountains"... and it had nothing to do with "science".

And hey, ya gotta admit... building an NHL team is not an exact "science" amirite? :mrgreen:
Jyrki21 wrote: Jim Benning 's methods employ religion over science. Both intuition and results have cast the world's most obvious doubt on virtually everything he has done.
Too soon to look at "results" seeing as how we are early in a rebuild. :eh:

As for "intuition"... ain't dat one of dem dere religious thangs?

"the world's most obvious doubt"... who are you... the Pope?? :lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Jovocop wrote:
I am sure the Canucks would love to give up a 4th rounder instead of the 5th rounder. It is indeed a very low risk gamble. If somehow both Pedan and Tryamkin make the team next season, the Canucks can afford to take a gamble on an undersize offensive defenseman, especially being a right handed one.
Will be interesting to see what he looks like back in NA. Potential is definitely there:
15/16 KHL All Star, 2x player of the week, league top 5 D in scoring
14 year old - 10 games with Denmark U20 (1 goal)
15 year old - play 13 games in Allsvensken league, 32 games SuperElit U20, Danish U18 & U20
16 year old - Split between SuperElit U20 (37 games - 18 points) and SHL
11/12 lead all Dallas D in +/- in his rookie season.

Strength seems to be the big knock on him. Hopefully his strong 15/16 season is indicative of progress in that area.

What I like best is that he refused his qualifying offer from Edmonton and indicated that he had no intention of returning to that team (NHL yes, Edmonton no). I guess new mgmt decided there was no point in throwing away an asset just to be stubborn
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I wonder what number Philip will wear? He should have a lot of choice.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Please Blob, tell what you know of Phillip Larsen. Give us your in depth analysis having watched him play. We await your expert opinion.
Heh, you expect a card carrying and founding member of the Fudge Pack™ to have substance?

Shame on you.

It is a nothing deal. Super low depth risk...

*edit* Mind you...Jamie Benn was a 5th round....oh crap...here comes the Blobberino dub step...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Seems reasonable enough. I'm looking forward to watching Jim get out from behind the curve though, when it comes to trading picks to acquire players to prop up a rebuild.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What's not to like. He has been looking for an offensive defence man that shoots right since he came here. He is still targeting Zeistov when his contract is up at the end of April with the KHL but who knows what his chances are of getting him. Larsen has the potential to be a point producing RHS that plays a sound, albeit not hard, defensive game. He is said to play very well in his own end. His skating is a above average. He has quick out let passes. He skates well with the puck and is described as have a high hockey IQ. The big question marks will be his toughness to play in the NHL and how well he can transition back to the smaller ice.

If we lose a 4th it means he has reached his offensive goals which is a good thing. Otherwise we've risked a 5th for a 26 year old experienced D man.

I'm more excited to hear Bartkowski is on the trade block. I really don't want him back next year.

By the way, I hear there is a very strong chance that Tyramakin will sign his ECL. Nothing obviously confirmed but insiders saying it's looking positive.

So Larson and Tyramankin and Pedan instead of Weber, Barkowski and Hamhuis.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I guess Edmonton wanted to bring Larsen back, but he didn't want to go there
Which makes Larsen smarter than Schutlz.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

HW do you mean Nikita Tryamkin?

I assume yes but Euro's spell their names funny so you never know.

I was wondering about him, I really hope he comes here to play in the AHL next season and he gets 9 games in the NHL. From what I have read (and yes it is only a little) he seems a dependable and big defender, someone who can clear the net and make the right play.

Don't expect him to ever get more than 20 points but that isn't needed for all players.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:HW do you mean Nikita Tryamkin?

I assume yes but Euro's spell their names funny so you never know.

I was wondering about him, I really hope he comes here to play in the AHL next season and he gets 9 games in the NHL. From what I have read (and yes it is only a little) he seems a dependable and big defender, someone who can clear the net and make the right play.

Don't expect him to ever get more than 20 points but that isn't needed for all players.
Yes that's who I mean.

Tryamkin
Tryamkin
Tryamkin

There, my spell check should be set!

Yes I heard that the Canucks are very confident he will sign his ECL. He has no interest in going to Utica, or so that had been reported so I don't know if they've overcome that or if he is just resigned to the fact that his ELC is pretty standard and it is what it is. I guess they could agree to loan him to another league other than the AHL.

Interestingly, Tryamkin is one year younger, 22, than Pedan, 23.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hamhuis on 1040 today

Has not had any discussions with Benning. That includes signing and extension.

Has been around long enough to know what that potentially means.

Has had talks with his family so they can be prepared.

His first preference is to sign an extension and finish his career, and win a cup in Vancouver. Feels he has several more good years left.

Does not have a list of teams he would waive for. Obviously it would be a contender that would want him. Would have to be presented with the opportunity and then look at the team, is it a fit?

Will not commit to saying if asked he will waive only that he would look at any offer presented.

Was asked if he is traded is he done with the Canucks. He said no and brought up Vermette. Said if he waives to go to a contender he would circle back in July to have discussions with the Canucks. He very much wants to finish his career as a Canuck.

Winning is important to him yes but at this point in his life his family is number one so finishing out his career here would be a dream. Winning a cup here would be unreal.

Feels the healthiest he has felt all season. Would love to be in the playoffs. Still hasn't given up on the Canucks making it but is realistic about the odds. Loves this team, loves this city, loves the fans. It's where he wants to be. Has a lot of respect for the management and coaching staff. Likes the direction the club is going in. Emphasized how much he'd love to get back to where they were in 2011.

So we can assume if Hamhuis is not traded he will be extended. Not a bad thing. But I think Benning's silence to Hamhuis speaks volumes. It does to Hamhuis too. He is fully prepared to be asked to waive.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: So we can assume if Hamhuis is not traded he will be extended. Not a bad thing. But I think Benning's silence to Hamhuis speaks volumes. It does to Hamhuis too. He is fully prepared to be asked to waive.
The best thing would be to "Vermette" him. Basically a temporary trade. Rent-out Hamhuis for 6 weeks (or whatever the Canucks have left in the season) and get assets in return.