Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to him being "Draisaitl'd" at the end of the tourney.
I think it has more to do with the Canucks not having any confidence in how the Calgary Hitmen were handling Jake
Yeah, and if that is the case they could go "Full-Draisaitl" and help work out a trade where Jake goes somewhere else, like Leon did last year. Looks like it paid off for him.
RoyalDude wrote:I'm not completely down on Jake. He just needs some (a lot) video tape sessions on his play away from the puck. It is concerning that there hasn't been any improvement in that part of his game which hopefully doesn't have to do with his lack of hockey IQ. Hope not, otherwise it's Booth/Kassian all over again
Yep. Far too early to write him off. He's not Michael Dal Colle :lol:
User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Tciso »

Meds wrote: I don't see why we're hung up on Virtanen's game here after one piss-poor showing by the entire team in the tournament opener.
Easy. Most of the "sky is falling" crowd are pissed the Canucks are 3-0-1 in their last 4, so they are focusig their negativity on a 19 yr old.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Zedlee »

Tciso wrote:
Meds wrote: I don't see why we're hung up on Virtanen's game here after one piss-poor showing by the entire team in the tournament opener.
Easy. Most of the "sky is falling" crowd are pissed the Canucks are 3-0-1 in their last 4, so they are focusig their negativity on a 19 yr old.
I think we should all remember that Virtanen (and McCann) should both be playing in the AHL this year, but because of NHL rules (and rather weak roster) they can only either play in Jr or NHL.

Personally, I don't like the way either guy has been handled so far. The Canucks have said they would only make room if the kids are "ready". Well JV does not look ready and McCann while improving, overall does not look ready either.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

I was hoping this tournament would help Virtanen "find" his game. He has been invisible so far this tournament. He looks almost disinterested. He looks to be just skating in circles.

He has taken two really hard knocks to the head today. First one he was tackled to the ice and his head hit the ice, he left wobbly but didn't miss a shift. The second he slammed into the goal post full on side of the face losing his helmet. Still on the bench. He either has a very hard head or he is hiding the dizzy spells.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4185
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Rumsfeld »

Tciso wrote:
Meds wrote: I don't see why we're hung up on Virtanen's game here after one piss-poor showing by the entire team in the tournament opener.
Easy. Most of the "sky is falling" crowd are pissed the Canucks are 3-0-1 in their last 4, so they are focusig their negativity on a 19 yr old.
Oh yeah dude, that's TOTALLY what it is. If only everyone could be as wise and level-headed as you are. Kid looks like an amazing sixth overall pick and anyone who dares question that is an idiot. Personally, I'm delighted with his two post-draft seasons, because otherwise you're a chicken little h8r yo.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by griz »

Hockey Widow wrote:I was hoping this tournament would help Virtanen "find" his game. He has been invisible so far this tournament. He looks almost disinterested. He looks to be just skating in circles.

He has taken two really hard knocks to the head today. First one he was tackled to the ice and his head hit the ice, he left wobbly but didn't miss a shift. The second he slammed into the goal post full on side of the face losing his helmet. Still on the bench. He either has a very hard head or he is hiding the dizzy spells.
I think he's playing hard in front of the net and providing a good screen for others. Always a threat for a big hit. And he's almost scored a few times (nearly won the game over Switzerland). Perhaps we'll see him breakthrough a little more in what remains of the tournament.
User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote: Personally, I'm delighted with his two post-draft seasons, because otherwise you're a chicken little h8r yo.
Rummy, that sentence doesn't even make sense.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

By all accounts Nikita Tyramakin is having a good Spengler cup. Nothing too flashy but sound positionaly, good at clearing the net, throws thunderous hits, smooth, fast skater and has an above average shot, considered one of the hardest in the KHL. Problem is he doesn't use his shot enough.

Tyramakin has indicated he wants to listen to an offer from his current club and wants to develop into their number one guy. Could be posturing but he has said he's not thinking of the NHL right now, not in a hurry to make the jump.

Benning needs to talk to his agent ASAP and try to get him to North America sooner rather than later. Sounds like he may want to wait though.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19002
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The gamble of drafting Russians, not playing in the North American junior leagues.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19936
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Virtanen with another stellar game . Absolutely no way he should be coming back here after Canada loses on Saturday .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11901
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:By all accounts Nikita Tyramakin is having a good Spengler cup. Nothing too flashy but sound positionaly, good at clearing the net, throws thunderous hits, smooth, fast skater and has an above average shot, considered one of the hardest in the KHL. Problem is he doesn't use his shot enough.

Tyramakin has indicated he wants to listen to an offer from his current club and wants to develop into their number one guy. Could be posturing but he has said he's not thinking of the NHL right now, not in a hurry to make the jump.

Benning needs to talk to his agent ASAP and try to get him to North America sooner rather than later. Sounds like he may want to wait though.
Tricky regarding the Russians, gotta give em incentive to play here like how chicago the champs did with panarin, gotta do some slick contract work.

I'd like Tryamkin to develop one more year anyways, those big guys especially dmen take forever to be NHL ready.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4185
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Rumsfeld »

Is anyone else drinking hard yet? :drink: :drink: :drink:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19936
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

I'm tiling my bathroom . Three beers and one stiff vodka into it . Only an hour of daylight left maybe will finish tomorrow and grout on Saturday . :evil:
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9505
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'm tiling my bathroom . Three beers and one stiff vodka into it . Only an hour of daylight left maybe will finish tomorrow and grout on Saturday . :evil:
Running out of daylight? Maybe you should be working on the electrical before the tile? ;)
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19002
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'm tiling my bathroom . Three beers and one stiff vodka into it . Only an hour of daylight left maybe will finish tomorrow and grout on Saturday . :evil:
LOL, improper churning time on the thin set and setting time, wrong type of trowel, improper troweling and improper buttering of the back of the tile and I guarantee you those tiles Blobby is installing will be popping and cracking a year from now. I can only imagine the 1/4" gapping grout lines using undanded grout, and the terrible, impossible to remove grout haze due to poor sponging/cleaning
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Locked