Page 3 of 495

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 pm
by The Brown Wizard
SKYO wrote:And we shall soon find out what the heck is happening with Manny.
Manny Malhotra's agent Paul Krepelka said that Canucks will be announcing soon what's going on with Manny.
:shock: dundundunnnn
Holy crap! That sounds like a retirement announcement. Wow

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 pm
by SKYO
Uncle dans leg wrote: Holy crap! That sounds like a retirement announcement. Wow
@ElliottPap
Educated guess: Manny Malhotra retires as a player and accepts a position within the organization in hockey ops. #canucks
That sounds reasonable, instead of being demoted to the AHL.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:24 pm
by SKYO
Bob MaKenzie just said Manny will not play anymore games this season.
@TSNBobMcKenzie
VAN will make a formal announcement shortly but Manny Malhotra is not expected to play any more games this season. Details to come.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm
by rats19
will he still get a "ring" ? wave in the parade, thats important!

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 pm
by SKYO
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=655708
Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks announced today that centre Manny Malhotra has been placed on Injured Reserve and will miss the remainder of the 2012.13 NHL season.

“The long term health of Manny Malhotra is of utmost importance to our organization,” said Michael D. Gillis, President and General Manager, Canucks Sports & Entertainment. “Throughout his career Manny has showcased his indispensability through skilled play, being a consummate professional and leader in the room while also continuously giving back to the community. Manny will continue to be a valued member of our organization.”

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:33 pm
by rats19
ok...retire kinda..but we will pay you hockey salary by putting you on the LTIR list...then retire and we will still pay you to coach....something...somewheres.

thanks manny you were pretty good..till that fatefull day..

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:36 pm
by The Brown Wizard
SKYO wrote:http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=655708
Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks announced today that centre Manny Malhotra has been placed on Injured Reserve and will miss the remainder of the 2012.13 NHL season.

“The long term health of Manny Malhotra is of utmost importance to our organization,” said Michael D. Gillis, President and General Manager, Canucks Sports & Entertainment. “Throughout his career Manny has showcased his indispensability through skilled play, being a consummate professional and leader in the room while also continuously giving back to the community. Manny will continue to be a valued member of our organization.”
I can only guess maybe he's still having complications with his eye. Talk about an untimely injury...he was the man for us until that happened. Hope he gets it all sorted out and recovers properly

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:36 pm
by dbr
If there was no setback for Manny recently, presumably the league will simply look the other way ( :look: ) and let the Canucks place him on IR and if necessary LTIR the rest of the way.

At the same time you've got to wonder to what extent he really did meet the requirements to continue playing in terms of vision from that eye. I'd bet he could fail an eye test pretty easily if he had to.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm
by Benjo
I keep hearing people say he will retire and join the coaching staff. Has he stated he wants to get into coaching after his career or something? I've never seen a quote from him saying that, is it just popular opinion?

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm
by herb
I knew something was up!

Pretty clear that Manny's eye is fucked and cannot be repaired any further. He has gone through several procedures since the injury to save and repair his eye. He's likely been to the best eye doctors money can buy, yet they still can't repair the damage. This is his retirement from playing hockey.

I feel bad for the guy, but he got to live his dream, made millions and it wouldn't surprise me if he has an assistant coach job with the Canucks waiting come summer time.

Good on the Canucks too for putting him on LTIR instead of waiving him. Manny's a classy guy, and is obviously loved by his teammates and the organization. Assistant coach Malhotra sounds good to me.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:30 pm
by wafflecombine
I agree Herb. I am sadenned by the news. I really do hope that Manny can catch on with the organization once things settle.

I am glad the Canucks are doing this for him. Classy move by the organization for a player that was classy his whole career and really embraced the team and the city.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:35 pm
by Aaronp18
It was tough to watch Manny play this year, you could see something was off. The guy's in great shape and shouldn't have been playing as badly as he had.

I wonder if his peripheral vision is just getting worse and he's not playing with any confidence out there. Unfortunately, if you're playing scared you're bound to get hurt, as Bob Mackenzie tweeted.

it leaves a big hole in the faceoff circle though, someone we can stick out there to take a huge defensive zone draw on the left hand side of the ice. With Kelser back soon, as reports indicate, he should help somewhat but we only have Henrik as a left handed centre now.

I wonder if Burrows may play some more centre on the draw and work on his faceoffs?

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:56 pm
by ukcanuck
Not to be overly ghoulish about manny on LTIR, but does this mean Gillis can go over the cap this season to replace him and get relief equal to the difference?
Wondering how this effects things next season too, will Aquaman get to spend another 2.5 mil?

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:07 pm
by rats19
ukcanuck wrote:Not to be overly ghoulish about manny on LTIR, but does this mean Gillis can go over the cap this season to replace him and get relief equal to the difference?
Wondering how this effects things next season too, will Aquaman get to spend another 2.5 mil?
LTIR does free up the equal amount of cap space I think...its when the players returns that it becomes an issue, but in Manny's case I dont know, maybe the League wont allow LTIR ..??

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm
by dangler
Aaronp18 wrote: it leaves a big hole in the faceoff circle though, someone we can stick out there to take a huge defensive zone draw on the left hand side of the ice. With Kelser back soon, as reports indicate, he should help somewhat but we only have Henrik as a left handed centre now.

I wonder if Burrows may play some more centre on the draw and work on his faceoffs?
what side does Ebbet play?
read he was 5 for 10 last game he was in