Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 pm

The hold up with Vey was that his agent wanted a one way deal. But he said today it was moot since the Canucks would not expose him on waivers and risk losing him and if they did he fully expected he would be claimed so holding out for a one way deal made no sense. I think that's why Vey gets a "pass" here. Benning won't waive him so he has made the team. Now whether he plays centre or wing is still very much up in the air.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:The hold up with Vey was that his agent wanted a one way deal. But he said today it was moot since the Canucks would not expose him on waivers and risk losing him and if they did he fully expected he would be claimed so holding out for a one way deal made no sense. I think that's why Vey gets a "pass" here. Benning won't waive him so he has made the team. Now whether he plays centre or wing is still very much up in the air.

So whats the motivation for JB to insist on a 2-way then? :eh:
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:35 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:The hold up with Vey was that his agent wanted a one way deal. But he said today it was moot since the Canucks would not expose him on waivers and risk losing him and if they did he fully expected he would be claimed so holding out for a one way deal made no sense. I think that's why Vey gets a "pass" here. Benning won't waive him so he has made the team. Now whether he plays centre or wing is still very much up in the air.

Who knows, principle???
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

Who knows, principle???

Power, putting the kid in his place. 8-)
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

Who knows, principle???

Well it is a one year deal. So maybe it's a protection for next year just in case he shits the bed. Like, no, we still are not prepared to offer you a one way.....earn it. Setting the tone for expectations throughout the organization. This is how it works etc etc etc. just spit balling, hell if I know.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:26 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

Who knows, principle???

Well it is a one year deal. So maybe it's a protection for next year just in case he shits the bed. Like, no, we still are not prepared to offer you a one way.....earn it. Setting the tone for expectations throughout the organization. This is how it works etc etc etc. just spit balling, hell if I know.

Its a good precedent to set, Gillis would have given him a NTC.
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Betamax » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm

via: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey ... renzy.html

30 Thoughts: NHL defenceman cash in on free-agent frenzy
By Elliotte Friedman
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 | 12:38 PM

*Since this is the last 30 Thoughts of the season, I tacked on some bonus ones. Enjoy.

Here are the Canucks' related ones:

31. Canucks GM Jim Benning on how Daniel and Henrik Sedin will be used: "I want them to get back to worrying about offence...creating off the cycle. They are good offensive players."

32. It was interesting to hear how many other Western Conference teams feel Vancouver will be improved. "Everything went wrong for them last year," said one GM. "I can't imagine those guys just fell off a cliff," said another. (As always, no one quoted in this blog is used as an anonymous source.) Benning proved one thing so far: if you really want to make trades in this league, you can. He's concerned with depth, because the Canucks' travel schedule means you need it.

33. Benning on rumours he's not a Chris Tanev fan: "I don't know where this comes from. I'm a big fan of his, he made big strides last year."

34. Finally, he had a good line about his father, Elmer, a long-time scout. "He told me, 'I'll give you a report card on how you're doing,'" Jim laughed. Other advice: "Make sure that when you're trying to build teams, do it with high-character players. That's where you're going to win. When you have adversity, they figure out a way to fight through it."

35. Benning wasn't going there, but it is believed both Vancouver and Edmonton tried to pry Patrik Berglund from St. Louis. With Vladimir Sobotka gone, it's harder to see the Blues parting with Berglund. "We see our centre ice being big and the toughest to play against with Berglund in it," Blues GM Doug Armstrong said. "He gives us a lot of options." (Armstrong would not comment on specific teams that asked).

:mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Betamax wrote:via: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey ... renzy.html

30 Thoughts: NHL defenceman cash in on free-agent frenzy
By Elliotte Friedman
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 | 12:38 PM

*Since this is the last 30 Thoughts of the season, I tacked on some bonus ones. Enjoy.

Here are the Canucks' related ones:

31. Canucks GM Jim Benning on how Daniel and Henrik Sedin will be used: "I want them to get back to worrying about offence...creating off the cycle. They are good offensive players."

32. It was interesting to hear how many other Western Conference teams feel Vancouver will be improved. "Everything went wrong for them last year," said one GM. "I can't imagine those guys just fell off a cliff," said another. (As always, no one quoted in this blog is used as an anonymous source.) Benning proved one thing so far: if you really want to make trades in this league, you can. He's concerned with depth, because the Canucks' travel schedule means you need it.

33. Benning on rumours he's not a Chris Tanev fan: "I don't know where this comes from. I'm a big fan of his, he made big strides last year."

34. Finally, he had a good line about his father, Elmer, a long-time scout. "He told me, 'I'll give you a report card on how you're doing,'" Jim laughed. Other advice: "Make sure that when you're trying to build teams, do it with high-character players. That's where you're going to win. When you have adversity, they figure out a way to fight through it."

35. Benning wasn't going there, but it is believed both Vancouver and Edmonton tried to pry Patrik Berglund from St. Louis. With Vladimir Sobotka gone, it's harder to see the Blues parting with Berglund. "We see our centre ice being big and the toughest to play against with Berglund in it," Blues GM Doug Armstrong said. "He gives us a lot of options." (Armstrong would not comment on specific teams that asked).

:mex:

I like that tidbit about the Sedins - just get em back to what they do best & just put up points! no penalty kill time, no blocking shots and BS like that, that will lead to injuries to your star players, that should be done by your depth players to which we have a lot of now.

I liked this bit as well...
I had a debate with another exec about Kane. He asked if I would trade him. I said it would take a lot, because the Jets need help now and the guy is really talented. He pointed to Vancouver and Ryan Kesler. His argument was: how much better are the Canucks, simply because the distraction is over? Difficult to quantify, but a fair point.

All the major but lil' dark clouds shrouding the locker room is gone and dealt with now, feels like a new team altogether but with some familiarity with the good character fellas left, who also should be much healthier now.

I think Willie will bring along the young guns a lot quicker too and know how to handle them in their transition from juniors/AHL.

One wonders if nothing happens by late August/early September if Ryan Johansen could be get snagged via trade..(dare to dream!)
When the Blue Jackets extended Brandon Dubinsky, teammate Ryan Johansen hilariously tweeted, "Congrats to our second-line centre." After all, if the second-liner gets $5.85 million, shouldn't Johansen get even more? The Columbus Dispatch's Aaron Portzline reported Sunday that agent Kurt Overhardt recently submitted a shorter-term bridge offer for Johansen. Last year, the Jackets gave Sergei Bobrovsky $12 million over two years. (They are also working on a new contract for him.) You have to figure that's the endgame for Johansen, too, a bit more money in exchange for fewer years.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am

Canucks sign 1st-round pick Jared McCann to entry-level contract

McCann seems to get more spotlight than Virtanen

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727107
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:59 am

Jovocop wrote:Canucks sign 1st-round pick Jared McCann to entry-level contract

McCann seems to get more spotlight than Virtanen

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727107

I think it has more to do with the fact that White Chocolate was on the PUP list during Canucks' prospects orientation week. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:40 pm

Willie D on the Team today:

- he has spoken to all the players by phone. Has met personally with some and has plans to meet with others before camp. Wants to know everyone before camps starts, wants to check in with each player to see how their off season training is going and to lay out expectations. What a different approach from Torts!

- believes the twins and Edler will have bounce back years. Says they are committed and determined to come to camp with something to prove.

- delighted to have Miller. Spoke highly of Lack, never mentioned Markstrom. Says they don't want to put Lack in a position where he has to be the starter before he is ready but thinks he is a future number one before long.

- says Vrbata is slated to start with the twins, his spot to take, but it's not set in stone.

- he has met with Burrows who he says us a key part of the team moving toward. Said Alex is fine playing any role he is asked to play. Willie feels Alex would be a good fit to play with Kassian and be able to help him take the next step to developing consistency. Likes the idea of them being on a line and Akex being able to talk to Kassian on the bench ( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: that one made me smile)

- says if a younger player out plays a veteran player he will get the job, said a tie goes to the younger player. Wants the younger players to be hungry and come to camp pushing for jobs.

- vey has the third line job, his to take, but he has to step up and show he deserves it. One of those bubble players who has the chance now to show he can be a regular NHL player.

- says Bonino is very excited to be a Canuck and can't wait to get going. Expects him to come to camp fired up and expects good things from him.

- on replacing Kesler, says you can't replace the player with a similar player, today, but you can replace the roles he played by spreading the responsibility around in different ways. As examples, he said one player may get more of a chance on the PK while another gets a bigger role on the PP.

- expects to make the playoffs, recognizes how tough the division is and the challenges the team faces but believes we have the right mix of veteran leadership and youth. The goal is to make the playoffs and every move they make will be to attain that goal.

Pretty good interview, short and to the point. I am encouraged by how pro-active he is being in getting to know the players, spelling out roles, albeit early penciled in roles, and how he is monitoring the off season progress. Sounds excited to be here and anxious to get going!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 pm

The moves Vancouver has made will only stop the bleeding.

This team is not close to being able to beat LA, Chicago, or Anaheim in a seven game series. And they would almost certainly lose to Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis, or Dallas.

So yeah, it is pretty good so far. But Vancouver certainly had no answer for nuclei built around Doughty/Kopitar, Kane/Toews, Getzlaf/Perry, Duchene/McKinnon, Benn/Seguin....etc.

That said, I guess they could sneak into a playoff spot if the can beat out SJ.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Mondi wrote:The moves Vancouver has made will only stop the bleeding.

This team is not close to being able to beat LA, Chicago, or Anaheim in a seven game series. And they would almost certainly lose to Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis, or Dallas.

So yeah, it is pretty good so far. But Vancouver certainly had no answer for nuclei built around Doughty/Kopitar, Kane/Toews, Getzlaf/Perry, Duchene/McKinnon, Benn/Seguin....etc.

We should have above average goaltending. We should have a solid defence.
The big question marks are

Will the twins bounce back and will Vrbata help

Can we finally develop a strong supportive second line

Third line should be strong

Can we ice a competitive 4th line that can play meaningful minutes

Do we haven sufficient depth to compensate for injuries.

A lot of big questions we won't have answered until the season begins.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby mathonwy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Mondi wrote:The moves Vancouver has made will only stop the bleeding.

I concur.

The fact of the matter is, all those pairs you mentioned Mondi (save the last one) were drafted ones and all of them were drafted after the Sedins. We're back on the track (I think) in the draft department but unfortunately a few years too late to compete today.

JB's moves (for the most part) have been good ones and have definitely set us up for success. Let's just hope our core still has enough gas in the tank to tie us over while we wait for Kassian/Vey/Mattias/Bonino/Tanev/Horvat etc... to step up and take over being our first line.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 pm

Finally... :D

Jake Virtanen ‏@Jake_Virtanen
Such an honour to sign with the Vancouver Canucks ! I'd like to thank everybody who's helped me get to this point especially my family !!
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat