Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Arachnid » Wed May 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Groovypippin wrote:I have a very hard time getting excited about "tanking", even when special players like McDavid are available. First, there are teams out there demonstrably more miserable than the Canucks will be next season who will have way more balls in the lotto draw than we will. This is a team that played well below expectations. It isn't a league worst squad by any stretch of the imagination.

My own weird opinion is that you get better by trying to get better, not by trying to get worse. Re-tool by all means. There a many examples of teams that have re-tooled on the fly. If re-tooling leads to several seasons of mediocre hockey and that results in high draft picks, that's great. But trying to be bad - "tanking" - inculcates a culture of losing that is very hard to shake.

Oh My God...you got Leafitus from Doc...it's a contagion :shock:

So you are saying Chicago, St. Louis and Pittsburgh all have a culture of losing do you?.....riiiiiiiiiiight.....
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Wed May 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Bullshit, the time to rebuild from the studs up - time has passed, we got a lot of vets and in their prime players under contract with NTC's.

We got no choice but to retool and bring along some young guns.

The big thing to me is goaltending, I don't know about the most of you but to me the Lack/Markstrom goaltending duo will be horrendous imho, I really hope we can somehow get Cory Schneider back asap, maybe it's possible at the 2015 trade deadline if he doesn't re-sign.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Wed May 14, 2014 1:11 pm

SKYO wrote:Bullshit, the time to rebuild from the studs up - time has passed, we got a lot of vets and in their prime players under contract with NTC's.

The big thing to me is goaltending, I don't know about the most of you but to me the Lack/Markstrom goaltending duo will be horrendous imho, I really hope we can somehow get Cory Schneider back asap, maybe it's possible at the 2015 trade deadline if he doesn't re-sign.

Yeah, great, we trade our two best goalies in the history of the franchise, fire a coach that has made it into the Final Four not a year later....and you still think The Core™ has what it takes....it doesn't take any thought to see what this team has done in the past to retool and how did that work out? Huh tough guy?
Yeah
I thought so.
Not one Cup Appearance in the Naslund Era....
Go sit down and watch from the sidelines....you got infected with the same thing Doc has...
Blow it the fuck up and rebuild....you will not win a Stanley Cup Championship with the Sedin Brothers as the leaders...they had their chance....time to step aside and let the young's be the ones....
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby nuckster » Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Arachnid wrote:
SKYO wrote:Bullshit, the time to rebuild from the studs up - time has passed, we got a lot of vets and in their prime players under contract with NTC's.

Yeah, great, we trade our two best goalies in the history of the franchise, fire a coach that has made it into the Final Four not a year later....and you still think The Core™ has what it takes....it doesn't take any thought to see what this team has done in the past to retool and how did that work out? Huh tough guy?
Yeah
I thought so.
Go sit down and watch from the sidelines....you got infected with the same thing Doc has...
Blow it the fuck up and rebuild....you will not win a Stanley Cup Championship with the Sedin Brothers as the leaders...they had their chance....time to step aside and let the young's be the ones....

Well... have to say, I agree with Arachnid here.. 'it' happens (said a dubbed Forrest Gump)
cc oldtimer
nuckster
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby SKYO » Wed May 14, 2014 1:26 pm

Arachnid wrote:Yeah, great, we trade our two best goalies in the history of the franchise, fire a coach that has made it into the Final Four not a year later....and you still think The Core™ has what it takes....it doesn't take any thought to see what this team has done in the past to retool and how did that work out? Huh tough guy?
Yeah
I thought so.

I was talking to mondi btw.

MG was atrocious at retooling though, he kept the same core in place in his entire tenure here pretty much.

The Sedins ain't going anywhere, so just get em big dude on the wing, like Byfuglien.

Then get Kesler a Parise like winger.

And then bring along Horvat/Jensen/Corrado.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed May 14, 2014 1:50 pm

Meds wrote:
Groovypippin wrote:My own weird opinion is that you get better by trying to get better, not by trying to get worse.

Interesting thought.

Glad that... someone... finally got through to you.

Tell me, do you have dozens of posters on ignore? :sly:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby nuckster » Wed May 14, 2014 1:53 pm

SKYO wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Yeah, great, we trade our two best goalies in the history of the franchise, fire a coach that has made it into the Final Four not a year later....and you still think The Core™ has what it takes....it doesn't take any thought to see what this team has done in the past to retool and how did that work out? Huh tough guy?
Yeah
I thought so.

I was talking to mondi btw.

MG was atrocious at retooling though, he kept the same core in place in his entire tenure here pretty much.

The Sedins ain't going anywhere, so just get em big dude on the wing, like Byfuglien.

Then get Kesler a Parise like winger.

And then bring along Horvat/Jensen/Corrado.

My apologies SKYO for stepping in uninvited. In all fairness to yourself it appears that you're actually being a 'realist' when it comes to our prevailing reality - I mean you're quite right about the Sedin's not going anywhere so some of us have to get over ourselves and accept that fact. Then ofcourse all your can do is what you can to supplement 'some' of the core while bringing along new blood and picks where ya can. It's not rocket science. Having said this, a strong case could be made that we're creating a no where middle of the road reality - non stanley cup material and non elite draft picks. Personally I'm not sure how to travel the road going forward, but that's what dudes with the big bucks are paid for i guess. I'll just bitch and bemoan it all from my arm chair like the rest of us.
cc oldtimer
nuckster
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby nuckster » Wed May 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Mondi wrote:...this team is not one player away from competing. Please stop suggesting all Kesler needs is an elite winger.

The Penguins are objectively FAR superior to Vancouver...yet they aren't really even close.

The team needs a rebuild from the ground up. Some pieces are in place, yes. But, for the most part you cannot deny they are exactly 2-12 in their last 14 playoff games.

They also have three rookie-ish goalies.

The risk of being Oilers is off-set in spades by the risk of being the Avs, the Hawks, the Kings, or even the Penguins.

All those teams had BRUTAL seasons before their got their stars.

A purposeful tank is not the plan, but a tactful trading away of ageing vets for picks and prospects ought to be.

Whether it is this summer or next, it will have to be done at some point. If the plan is to try to make the playoff next year and load up a bit, sure maybe that can work for 2014-2015. But, after that it should stop, and should probably not be attempted.

I missed reading this earlier, well said Mondi.
cc oldtimer
nuckster
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Wed May 14, 2014 2:02 pm

nuckster wrote:Well... have to say, I agree with Arachnid here.. 'it' happens (said a dubbed Forrest Gump)

Well Aquilinis are most certainly not going to "Blow it the fuck up and rebuild"

... no matter how much folks like you and Mondi and Arachnid bitch and moan.

Shit happens. :drink:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Wed May 14, 2014 2:17 pm

SL, I tend to agree.

Just hoping there is a good plan one way or the other.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Wed May 14, 2014 2:34 pm

Mondi wrote:SL, I tend to agree.

Wh-wh-what the..... :look:

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. :wink:

Now JUST BELIEVE your Vancouver Canucks will win your Stanley Cup and have a hit of this...

*passes pipe*
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby $lacker » Thu May 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Some interesting tidbits from Gary Mason today on Team 1040. http://t.co/W0bd3pwKf3

A- Torts recommended a Burrows buyout
B- Torts didn't talk to Travis Green in Utica ONCE all season. Now there's a coach interested in the youth movement.
C- A good David Booth story. Sounds like lots of tension in the room.
Last edited by $lacker on Thu May 15, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Betamax » Thu May 15, 2014 4:46 pm

$lacker wrote:Some interesting tidbits from Gary Mason today in Team 1040. http://t.co/W0bd3pwKf3

B- Torts didn't talk to Travis Green in Utica ONCE all season. Now there's a coach interested in the youth movement.

Unless I heard it wrong, didn't Mason say that Fonzie allegedly recommend that during the season? If that's the case, he is complete clueless and he should have been the guy that was axed during the season.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Thu May 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Betamax wrote:
$lacker wrote:Some interesting tidbits from Gary Mason today in Team 1040. http://t.co/W0bd3pwKf3

Unless I heard it wrong, didn't Mason say that Fonzie allegedly recommend that during the season? If that's the case, he is complete clueless and he should have been the guy that was axed during the season.

Okay I heard Mason's comment, he mentioned "at some point in the season" and was pushing it allegedly towards Management and Ownership. Which implies how fucked up the Coaching Staff was.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Thu May 15, 2014 5:52 pm

$lacker wrote:A- Torts recommended a Burrows buyout

I find that kind of odd, Torts played Burr A LOT most of the season (almost always with the Sedins and played PP). If anything, I thought Burr was getting preferential treatment from the coach despite Burr struggling most of the season.

B- Torts didn't talk to Travis Green in Utica ONCE all season.

Hmmm, maybe the Canucks should of let Torts pick the farm coach and send down Sully or something. :lol: I was pretty happy with the work of Travis Green though. I just look at Jensen who struggled in Utica early in the season (think he had like zero goals @ the 30 game mark), but Green kept working with him. When Jensen was called up, he scored some nice goals and looks ready to push for a roster spot with us next season. The Comets were really weak on paper too and Green got the most out of them all things considered.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat