Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Meds wrote:
Pretty good? LOL!!!!!

5 and out to the Kings in the first round of 2012.

Swept by the Sharks in the first round of 2013.

No playoffs in 2014.

Look no farther than our regular season records against those teams since 2011 and then try again.
Yeah, no doubt our team really struggled in the playoffs, since that 2011 run. However, the team did "pretty good" in the regular season and made the playoffs, up till this season. Generally, if the team can make the playoffs, it's a "pretty good" year despite the playoff shortcomings. It wasn't really till this season that the team fell off the rails and looked like a complete disaster most nites starting in the new year.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Meds wrote:
Yeah, no doubt our team really struggled in the playoffs, since that 2011 run. However, the team did "pretty good" in the regular season and made the playoffs, up till this season. Generally, if the team can make the playoffs, it's a "pretty good" year despite the playoff shortcomings. It wasn't really till this season that the team fell off the rails and looked like a complete disaster most nites starting in the new year.
Canucks did "pretty good" playing in a weak division in past years. The new balanced schedule plus divisional re-alignments made it a lot tougher to compete. The injuries on top of all that were a killer.

I"m not interested at this point in watching this team make the playoffs, only to lose in the first round. We need to build a team that can take on the tough teams in the conference and make the finals. And that has to be the plan for President Trev and the new GM. Let the re-build start. Please.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Zedlee wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Meds wrote:
Canucks did "pretty good" playing in a weak division in past years. The new balanced schedule plus divisional re-alignments made it a lot tougher to compete. The injuries on top of all that were a killer.

I"m not interested at this point in watching this team make the playoffs, only to lose in the first round. We need to build a team that can take on the tough teams in the conference and make the finals. And that has to be the plan for President Trev and the new GM. Let the re-build start. Please.
Maybe you are not but some on here suffer from Leafitus™ and actually cheer for the crappy team to barely make the playoffs only to not have a chance....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Leafitus

8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Zedlee wrote:
I totally agree with ya. I don't want our team to be an average/"pretty good" team. I don't mind sucking for a couple years to build a team that can compete with the big boyz again.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Zedlee wrote:
I totally agree with ya. I don't want our team to be an average/"pretty good" team. I don't mind sucking for a couple years to build a team that can compete with the big boyz again.
Apparently the powers that be see things differently, otherwise Torts would have been retained. Perhaps Travis Green will get the gig and all the most marketable vets traded.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Zedlee wrote:
Apparently the powers that be see things differently, otherwise Torts would have been retained. Perhaps Travis Green will get the gig and all the most marketable vets traded.
And we'll be what? The Vancouver Oilers?

FML. :(
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Meds wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: I totally agree with ya. I don't want our team to be an average/"pretty good" team. I don't mind sucking for a couple years to build a team that can compete with the big boyz again.
And we'll be what? The Vancouver Oilers?

I was being facetious, but yes if people want us to suck for a few years we could be the Oilers. Doubt we could do it as well as the Sabres have.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ClamRussel wrote:
Meds wrote:And we'll be what? The Vancouver Oilers?

I was being facetious, but yes if people want us to suck for a few years we could be the Oilers. Doubt we could do it as well as the Sabres have.
Yeah, there's no guarantee that tanking it will work and the Oil are a prime example. I still think it's the best way to load up on top blue chip young talent though and I think that is what we desperately need. Even though the Oil have not done so well in the standings the last couple years, I think most ppl would take their core players over ours in a heartbeat.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

I have a very hard time getting excited about "tanking", even when special players like McDavid are available. First, there are teams out there demonstrably more miserable than the Canucks will be next season who will have way more balls in the lotto draw than we will. This is a team that played well below expectations. It isn't a league worst squad by any stretch of the imagination.

My own weird opinion is that you get better by trying to get better, not by trying to get worse. Re-tool by all means. There a many examples of teams that have re-tooled on the fly. If re-tooling leads to several seasons of mediocre hockey and that results in high draft picks, that's great. But trying to be bad - "tanking" - inculcates a culture of losing that is very hard to shake.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Groovypippin wrote:I have a very hard time getting excited about "tanking", even when special players like McDavid are available. First, there are teams out there demonstrably more miserable than the Canucks will be next season who will have way more balls in the lotto draw than we will. This is a team that played well below expectations. It isn't a league worst squad by any stretch of the imagination.

My own weird opinion is that you get better by trying to get better, not by trying to get worse. Re-tool by all means. There a many examples of teams that have re-tooled on the fly. If re-tooling leads to several seasons of mediocre hockey and that results in high draft picks, that's great. But trying to be bad - "tanking" - inculcates a culture of losing that is very hard to shake.
Interesting thought.

I wonder if there is some psychological element, that permeates the Oilers franchise, where they simply suck because the culture hasn't been a winning one for so long. Apart from a 2006 miracle, they haven't been a playoff team for 10 years. They have made the playoffs only 7 times in the last 21 years. The stench of losing simply oozes off of that organization, and I think that Pronger jumping ship was a real blow to the franchise in regards to actually attracting talent. I mean, when you look at Hall and Eberle, and even RNH, you can't help but think that they would be 80-90 point players on a team like LA, San Jose, Boston, Anaheim, or Pittsburgh.....even Tampa or Philly for that matter.

Their management has been piss poor for over a decade. They don't have a clue how to scout goaltending talent. Scrivens is looking good, but I think he's riding a horseshoe right now, he has been a streaky performer everywhere else. Despite having a stalwart stay home defenseman in Kevin Lowe as the team President, the Oilers have completely neglected their blueline for almost a decade.

I think that their top 5 forwards end up wanting out. By this time two years from now they will likely only have 2 or 3 of them.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Yeah, there's no guarantee that tanking it will work and the Oil are a prime example.
Another example is Philly they traded away their star players for young guns, and their team is still in the same boat for a few more years, while their star players have won Stanley Cups.

Why I'm a bit hesitant to trade away Kesler, all he needs is an elite winger on his side to play at his best.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Groovypippin wrote:I have a very hard time getting excited about "tanking", even when special players like McDavid are available. First, there are teams out there demonstrably more miserable than the Canucks will be next season who will have way more balls in the lotto draw than we will. This is a team that played well below expectations. It isn't a league worst squad by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh My God...you got Leafitus from Doc...it's a contagion :shock:

So you are saying Chicago, St. Louis and Pittsburgh all have a culture of losing do you?.....riiiiiiiiiiight.....
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Bullshit, the time to rebuild from the studs up - time has passed, we got a lot of vets and in their prime players under contract with NTC's.

We got no choice but to retool and bring along some young guns.

The big thing to me is goaltending, I don't know about the most of you but to me the Lack/Markstrom goaltending duo will be horrendous imho, I really hope we can somehow get Cory Schneider back asap, maybe it's possible at the 2015 trade deadline if he doesn't re-sign.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:Bullshit, the time to rebuild from the studs up - time has passed, we got a lot of vets and in their prime players under contract with NTC's.

The big thing to me is goaltending, I don't know about the most of you but to me the Lack/Markstrom goaltending duo will be horrendous imho, I really hope we can somehow get Cory Schneider back asap, maybe it's possible at the 2015 trade deadline if he doesn't re-sign.
Yeah, great, we trade our two best goalies in the history of the franchise, fire a coach that has made it into the Final Four not a year later....and you still think The Core™ has what it takes....it doesn't take any thought to see what this team has done in the past to retool and how did that work out? Huh tough guy?
Yeah
I thought so.
Not one Cup Appearance in the Naslund Era....
Go sit down and watch from the sidelines....you got infected with the same thing Doc has...
Blow it the fuck up and rebuild....you will not win a Stanley Cup Championship with the Sedin Brothers as the leaders...they had their chance....time to step aside and let the young's be the ones....
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Arachnid wrote:
SKYO wrote:Bullshit, the time to rebuild from the studs up - time has passed, we got a lot of vets and in their prime players under contract with NTC's.

Yeah, great, we trade our two best goalies in the history of the franchise, fire a coach that has made it into the Final Four not a year later....and you still think The Core™ has what it takes....it doesn't take any thought to see what this team has done in the past to retool and how did that work out? Huh tough guy?
Yeah
I thought so.
Not one Cup Appearance in the Naslund Era....
Go sit down and watch from the sidelines....you got infected with the same thing Doc has...
Blow it the fuck up and rebuild....you will not win a Stanley Cup Championship with the Sedin Brothers as the leaders...they had their chance....time to step aside and let the young's be the ones....
Well... have to say, I agree with Arachnid here.. 'it' happens (said a dubbed Forrest Gump)
cc oldtimer