Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27547
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove »

.

Assholes... Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12006
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:
Topper wrote:Rarely. I prefer being upfront and honest with my guys. Even if the news is brutal. Sure it may hurt, but you don't wait around for the blowback when the mistress sells the phone tapes and the truth hits. Folks know where they stand.
I meant that sometimes the public and private messages are a bit different. Sometimes you provide cover fire for your employees by deflecting or taking the blame upon yourself.
Agreed. Which is what GMMG did.

Look at the situation and the way it was handled. Putting Manny on IR required the team Doctor to sign off that he was injured and file the paperwork with the league.

At that point, if the league suspects some roster hanky-panky, they can discipline the team, if the player believes he's fit, he can Doctor shop and file a grievance through the NHLPA. None of that was done and the player in question was the Canuck's NHLPA rep.

Of course there are some who believe the media should be publicly questioning the Canuck medical staff's professional judgment. That has the makings of an interesting libel case.

Maybe some forget that Washington Redskin's QB RGIII was allowed to play on vs Seattle by his head coach despite warnings from the team medical staff and ended up destroying his knee. That incident brought increased scrutiny to profession sports medical staffs and their role with coaching staffs. That was one month before Manny was shutdown.

A few in the media and a couple of folks here say he should have been waived or traded. So he's waived, clears and is sent to Chicago. He no longer has direct access to the Canuck medical and training staff and facilities. And he's in Chicago while his wife is in Vancouver with a toddler and 2 week old kid. Note, Manny was shut down after the Canuck's 11th game, he had missed two to be with his wife as she calved.

If waived and claimed or traded, same family scenario and GMMG gets to answer questions about dumping his medical problems on another team while splitting a family.Reports st the time say the Canuck's prepared a video of cases where Manny was close to taking a shot that could re-injure the eye.
The Canucks felt the hit was coming, and they took to the video room to prove it to Malhotra. From Dan Murphy of Sportsnet:
I know the Canucks showed Malhotra video footage from last season and this season of situations where they thought he was at risk on the ice. I heard there was a play from the game in Minnesota this season where if Dany Heatley was Cal Clutterbuck, Malhotra could have been in trouble.
What if he did not clear his new team's medical? Maybe Manny takes a hit to the head and further injures the eye. Would GMMG look like more of a dick?

Waiving or trading would have been very dick moves.

Freeing a roster spot may have played some part of the decision, but Manny's health was the primary reason and the fact that the Vancouver medical reports to the league were never questioned by the League, the player or the NHLPA prove that.

If anyone finds an elephant, tell him to watch his step, a mollusc is looking for him.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7910
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:
The Canucks felt the hit was coming, and they took to the video room to prove it to Malhotra. From Dan Murphy of Sportsnet:
I know the Canucks showed Malhotra video footage from last season and this season of situations where they thought he was at risk on the ice. I heard there was a play from the game in Minnesota this season where if Dany Heatley was Cal Clutterbuck, Malhotra could have been in trouble.
What if he did not clear his new team's medical? Maybe Manny takes a hit to the head and further injures the eye. Would GMMG look like more of a dick?

Waiving or trading would have been very dick moves.

Freeing a roster spot may have played some part of the decision, but Manny's health was the primary reason and the fact that the Vancouver medical reports to the league were never questioned by the League, the player or the NHLPA prove that.

If anyone finds an elephant, tell him to watch his step, a mollusc is looking for him.
I hadn't seen that release from Murphy. I think that should settle things regarding an elephant or cap decisions or what-have-you.

I had thought it more of a cap move at the time, one where the least effective player was getting cut, and I questioned why the Canucks didn't waive or trade him instead of just shutting him down. The above from Murphy squares it away nicely, IMHO. Was what it was.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Juice named the captain of Team Canada @ the World Hockey Championships. Nice to see him that well respected around the league. Hope they do well (especailly him, Burr and J-Garr) and maybe bring home the gold, especially since we haven't won that one in awhile.

Wow, CoHo is on the team as well. :P
User avatar
2Fingers
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5536
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by 2Fingers »

From TSN, not sure if this was reported already?


http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=451654
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ClamRussel »

Meds wrote:
Topper wrote:
The Canucks felt the hit was coming, and they took to the video room to prove it to Malhotra. From Dan Murphy of Sportsnet:

I know the Canucks showed Malhotra video footage from last season and this season of situations where they thought he was at risk on the ice. I heard there was a play from the game in Minnesota this season where if Dany Heatley was Cal Clutterbuck, Malhotra could have been in trouble.
What if he did not clear his new team's medical? Maybe Manny takes a hit to the head and further injures the eye. Would GMMG look like more of a dick?

Waiving or trading would have been very dick moves.

Freeing a roster spot may have played some part of the decision, but Manny's health was the primary reason and the fact that the Vancouver medical reports to the league were never questioned by the League, the player or the NHLPA prove that.

If anyone finds an elephant, tell him to watch his step, a mollusc is looking for him.
I hadn't seen that release from Murphy. I think that should settle things regarding an elephant or cap decisions or what-have-you.

I had thought it more of a cap move at the time, one where the least effective player was getting cut, and I questioned why the Canucks didn't waive or trade him instead of just shutting him down. The above from Murphy squares it away nicely, IMHO. Was what it was.
Well that wraps that up Scoob! Case closed. :lol:



The big scary incident:
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7910
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:
Meds wrote:
I hadn't seen that release from Murphy. I think that should settle things regarding an elephant or cap decisions or what-have-you.

I had thought it more of a cap move at the time, one where the least effective player was getting cut, and I questioned why the Canucks didn't waive or trade him instead of just shutting him down. The above from Murphy squares it away nicely, IMHO. Was what it was.
Well that wraps that up Scoob! Case closed. :lol:



The big scary incident:
Good job Clam.....you show ONE example. The Canucks (allegedly) showed him video footage of multiple incidents. The fact that neither the PA nor Malhotra himself fought this should tell you that at the time the evidence was convincing enough, and not just one solitary close call.....which in this case wasn't all that scary looking.

But well done. Your lone clip is what it was all about. Asshat.
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ClamRussel »

Meds wrote:Good job Clam.....you show ONE example. The Canucks (allegedly) showed him video footage of multiple incidents. The fact that neither the PA nor Malhotra himself fought this should tell you that at the time the evidence was convincing enough, and not just one solitary close call.....which in this case wasn't all that scary looking.

But well done. Your lone clip is what it was all about. Asshat.
This isn't my lone clip, this is *the* clip that Dan Murphy was referring to. Its *the* clip that Gillis mentioned (where they were concerned that it could have been Cal Clutterbuck and not Dany Heatley). This is the exact video that ended Malhotra's season, and almost his playing career.

Stay classy Meds.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/02/28 ... son-video/
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19149
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Juice named the captain of Team Canada @ the World Hockey Championships. Nice to see him that well respected around the league. Hope they do well (especailly him, Burr and J-Garr) and maybe bring home the gold, especially since we haven't won that one in awhile.

Wow, CoHo is on the team as well. :P
We lost to France. Too many Canucks players on the team?
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 12408
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by The Brown Wizard »

RoyalDude wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Juice named the captain of Team Canada @ the World Hockey Championships. Nice to see him that well respected around the league. Hope they do well (especailly him, Burr and J-Garr) and maybe bring home the gold, especially since we haven't won that one in awhile.

Wow, CoHo is on the team as well. :P
We lost to France. Too many Canucks players on the team?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7910
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:.

Assholes... Image
Well you're the one who is always asking for of them..... :roll:

:thumbs:
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:We lost to France. Too many Canucks players on the team?
Unfortunately, it seems like it. Anything that touches our Canuck's core turns to shit. :(
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by BladesofSteel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:We lost to France. Too many Canucks players on the team?
Unfortunately, it seems like it. Anything that touches our Canuck's core turns to shit. :(
You mean, like Hank n Dank at last years WC's?
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

BladesofSteel wrote:You mean, like Hank n Dank at last years WC's?
Well, last year our team was still pretty good as we made the playoffs, just this year our team went to all time lows. *hehe* Team Canada won the last game and Burr + Garr helped in the scoreboard, maybe we still have a chance. :lol:
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7910
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:You mean, like Hank n Dank at last years WC's?
Well, last year our team was still pretty good as we made the playoffs, just this year our team went to all time lows. *hehe* Team Canada won the last game and Burr + Garr helped in the scoreboard, maybe we still have a chance. :lol:
Pretty good? LOL!!!!!

5 and out to the Kings in the first round of 2012.

Swept by the Sharks in the first round of 2013.

No playoffs in 2014.

Look no farther than our regular season records against those teams since 2011 and then try again.
Locked