Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Arachnid wrote:
dbr wrote:Canucks deal Patrick Mullen to Ottawa for some 2009 draft pick whose in college - ie. not taking up a contract..


His nameo is....Jeff Costello

And this will go down as the steal...no...trade of the century!

:stupid:


Gillis just bought himself at least another 2 years from Aquaman with this one. Costello is projected to be the next Justin Papineau!
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3524
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Topper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Booth buyout is back.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5128
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Can the team just call up Jensen now? or is that a crime against humanity.

Excited to see Matthias play! (shutup RD)
I think he'll bring some much needed enthusiasm to the team, even the inked up Markstrom.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3642
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Cornuck » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:15 pm

Topper wrote:Booth buyout is back.


I don't think it ever left.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4929
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 pm

After trade deadline:

Torts

Wanted to clear up a rumour going around that Lou was benched because a trade in the works. Said not true at all. It was his decision, a hockey decision and he would do it again. He said he will take the heat for the fall out.

Kesler

Glad the day is over. Happy to still be a Canuck. Lack came up to him at practice and told him he was just traded to Pittsburg. He smirked and said he would be shooting pucks at his head the rest of the year.

Torts

Asked how he liked the new tall goaltender. He laughed and said when he first saw him he thought he was the new forward we got so he started talking to him in that light.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Topper wrote:Booth buyout is back.



Booth only has one more year though. The biter is signed for three more years and is three years older than Booth. Booth's contract looks like a bargain compared to Burrows' bloated deal.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 am

Booth actually has a tad cheaper cap hit as well.

Compliance buyout Burrows and regular buyout Booth or just keep Booth?
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Lancer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 am

herb wrote:Booth actually has a tad cheaper cap hit as well.

Compliance buyout Burrows and regular buyout Booth or just keep Booth?


If you CBO Burrows, you've pretty much given up on the twins, with whom you are stuck until they retire. Burrows has proven to be the only player around who can produce with the twins at even strength. The injuries themselves do not lend to suspicions that he cannot produce with them again. Unless management has identified someone else who they firmly believe will produce with the twins, buying out Burrows makes little sense moving forward.

Despite his more spirited play - skating, playing the body and taking the puck to the net - what has Booth done to justify his salary and cap space? What has he done since he came here that would lead anyone to believe he can produce more than he has to this point?

Booth is the logical choice.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Diehard1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:37 am

herb wrote:Booth actually has a tad cheaper cap hit as well.

Compliance buyout Burrows and regular buyout Booth or just keep Booth?


Burr has looked awful this year but was the leading goal scorer on the team last year - and we're talking about buying him out? Damn you people turn on players quickly. I would have thought given the broken jaw and broken foot he'd at least get a little bit of slack....I guess not.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby dbr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Lancer wrote:If you CBO Burrows, you've pretty much given up on the twins, with whom you are stuck until they retire. Burrows has proven to be the only player around who can produce with the twins at even strength.


Uhh, what?

They were doing just fine in October without Burrows, before Henrik's wrist and then rib injuries. And before they got saddled with AB for that matter. :sly:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Lancer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:38 pm

dbr wrote:Uhh, what?

They were doing just fine in October without Burrows, before Henrik's wrist and then rib injuries. And before they got saddled with AB for that matter. :sly:


They wre doing fine because they were lined up with Kesler - who was still producing even after he left that line. If you want Torts to put all his eggs in one basket and play them half the game while the rest of the lines try and not get scored on, don't be surprised if we keep seeing seasons like this one.

If, however, you would like to spread the offence and ice time beyond what can be addressed by the opposition's top checking players - and thus have a snowball's chance of doing better in the standings - perhaps having Hank and Kes centre different would be a better idea. In that scenario, having a winger who has proven to make the twins a potent lines would be something beyond a good idea.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:42 pm

The twins are not going anywhere and will be dropping to 2nd line and 3rd line duties before their contracts are up. Why worry about saddling them with Burrows as their roles diminish?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5128
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hank » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Lancer wrote:
dbr wrote:Uhh, what?

They were doing just fine in October without Burrows, before Henrik's wrist and then rib injuries. And before they got saddled with AB for that matter. :sly:


They wre doing fine because they were lined up with Kesler - who was still producing even after he left that line. If you want Torts to put all his eggs in one basket and play them half the game while the rest of the lines try and not get scored on, don't be surprised if we keep seeing seasons like this one.

If, however, you would like to spread the offence and ice time beyond what can be addressed by the opposition's top checking players - and thus have a snowball's chance of doing better in the standings - perhaps having Hank and Kes centre different would be a better idea. In that scenario, having a winger who has proven to make the twins a potent lines would be something beyond a good idea.


duh, they were one of the earliest to be able to adapt to a Tort's system... along with Tanev, Bieksa and Santorelli. Most were struggling coming from AV's system. Some are still still having problems, but that's another matter.

The twins were the ones who pulled Kesler out of an early scoring abyss and instantly his terrible plus/minus improved.

Tort's is right about Kes as a winger. Offensively he is a better winger than a center. However this team is so lacking in depth, it would never make sense to load up the top line because everyone else would have to punch a class or two above their weight... and would get raped night after night. This is pretty much happening right now as Hansen and Higgins is filling in for top-6 forwards who just haven't got it done at all this season. Don't even get me started on Tort's unwillingness to even try Kassian for a few games...

Centers haven't been the big problem, it's the woeful depth and play of the "scoring" wingers that are killing the team. Who knew the MVP this season would be a guy they picked up expressly for minor-league depth?
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby dbr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Lancer wrote:They wre doing fine because they were lined up with Kesler - who was still producing even after he left that line. If you want Torts to put all his eggs in one basket and play them half the game while the rest of the lines try and not get scored on, don't be surprised if we keep seeing seasons like this one.

If, however, you would like to spread the offence and ice time beyond what can be addressed by the opposition's top checking players - and thus have a snowball's chance of doing better in the standings - perhaps having Hank and Kes centre different would be a better idea. In that scenario, having a winger who has proven to make the twins a potent lines would be something beyond a good idea.


I guess what I was responding to was the perceived (right or wrong) notion that Burrows is the only player who can score with the Sedins, like it's some kind of intangible quality no other player has.

Through December they were doing just fine in terms of goal differential, puck possession etc. and as I said they put up offense just fine without Burrows in October; if we have a couple of guys who can at worst do well in terms of possession against top six opponents, I am fairly sure you could put a lot of guys who can finish on their wing and get some offense out of them.

If that's Burrows fine but if his production doesn't turn around in a big way he's going to hurt the Sedins more than he helps them.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Hank wrote:Tort's is right about Kes as a winger. Offensively he is a better winger than a center. However this team is so lacking in depth, it would never make sense to load up the top line because everyone else would have to punch a class or two above their weight... and would get raped night after night. This is pretty much happening right now as Hansen and Higgins is filling in for top-6 forwards who just haven't got it done at all this season. Don't even get me started on Tort's unwillingness to even try Kassian for a few games...


LMAO at Hansen and Higgins filling in for top-6 forwards who just haven't got it done...

We only have 4 legitimate top 6 forwards. Hank, Dank, Kes, and Bur. Hank and Dank are/were playing terrible hockey and I don't think they ever recover. Kes is playing strong and carrying a lot more than his stats are showing. Burrows is playing like a slumping 3rd line scrub right now. All of the effort, none of the results.

Gillis needed to trade Edler for a legitimate top-6 scoring winger before last July. He didn't do it. Instead he extended him with a big raise.

Time to let the kids play.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3524
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests