Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:26 pm

SKYO wrote:Time for your meds, meds! jk

I know they ain't playing well right now compared to the beginning of the season when they were on fire and healthy, but ya just need to give em some slack man, when healthy they are a awesome and deadly combo.

I hear ya, but I just don't think these are guys we should be building around going forward. Especially if we are at that point where it is time for us to start over. The Sedins will be 34 this year and they are our BEST assets for a trade. I used to think that it would be great to actually have a pair of star players that the Canucks drafted, developed, and then let retire as Canucks.....that was before they hit 34 years old and were given $28M contracts over 4 years. Gillis should have locked them up to 7 years on that last deal, they would have been going on 36 come end of contract in 2016, and the team could go through this re-tooling process with them locked up and being re-assessed at that point as to whether or not they would be worth extending and at what price.

I'm just afraid that we are at the point where it is time to start from scratch again, and I really don't want to see us go the way of Edmonton or Calgary. Especially Calgary who have nothing after Monahan in the prospect pool, and beyond Giordano and a few bottom 3 defensemen and bottom 9 forwards look pretty bleak at the NHL level.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:10 pm

RoyalDude wrote:6'0"??? Try 6'5"

Love this kids game. Impressed with what I saw of him at the WJC'S. Smith and Mantha would be great additions the 'next' group here. Get er done

I completely agree with this.

Smith and Mantha for Edler would be an excellent long term deal for us.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Happy to hear Hank is staying home to get better!

@mattsekeres 1m

Swedish media reporting that #Canucks Henrik Sedin is out of the Olympics and that Mikael Backlund will be his replacement.

‏@JamiesonCanucks 1m

Swedish Aftonbladet Sports reporting Henrik Sedin has pulled himself out of Olympics.
:thumbs:

lord hath redeemed hank
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby $lacker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:18 pm

SKYO wrote:Happy to hear Hank is staying home to get better!

@mattsekeres 1m

Swedish media reporting that #Canucks Henrik Sedin is out of the Olympics and that Mikael Backlund will be his replacement.

Agreed - it was the only option IMO. How could he go play for Sweden when he can't play for the club that pays him? Sucks for Henrik being his last chance (most likely), but he needs the rest and maybe his brother will wake up and find his game playing with some other talent!
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Per » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:35 pm

$lacker wrote:
SKYO wrote:Happy to hear Hank is staying home to get better!

@mattsekeres 1m

Agreed - it was the only option IMO. How could he go play for Sweden when he can't play for the club that pays him? Sucks for Henrik being his last chance (most likely), but he needs the rest and maybe his brother will wake up and find his game playing with some other talent!

Truly sucks. The Sedins + Loui Eriksson were meant to be our first line. :(

The twins already have Olympic and world championship gold medals though, so I think their main concern is winning Lord Stanley's cup, to have won all three major hockey competitions.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Per wrote:Truly sucks. The Sedins + Loui Eriksson were meant to be our first line. :(

The twins already have Olympic and world championship gold medals though, so I think their main concern is winning Lord Stanley's cup, to have won all three major hockey competitions.

Then Daniel should probably stay home too.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Tough for Hank but the only logical choice. Rest is the only thing for a rib injury.

And to think that both Santorelli and Hank were knocked out by the same guy using his stick and said player received zero supplementary discipline on either play.

Ye, he got fined 5k for his hit on Booth, the one player who has actually played better since being hit.

I thought the NHL said injuries do matter?
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Tough for Hank but the only logical choice. Rest is the only thing for a rib injury.

And to think that both Santorelli and Hank were knocked out by the same guy using his stick and said player received zero supplementary discipline on either play.

Ye, he got fined 5k for his hit on Booth, the one player who has actually played better since being hit.

I thought the NHL said injuries do matter?

The NHL picked one of three high stick incidents for supplementary discipline. Obviously, they took the one that did no actual damage. A $5k fine means nothing to NHL players. I bet it would be 10+ games suspension if it was Kassian or Sestito instead of any players from the Coyotes. :evil:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:01 pm

A chuck to the ribs is a constant game play. Last time I checked, ribs are below shoulder height, the only high stick was to Booth.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Topper wrote:A chuck to the ribs is a constant game play. Last time I checked, ribs are below shoulder height, the only high stick was to Booth.

1 high stick and 2..........................

Cross-checking is an infraction in the sport of ice hockey where a player checks an opponent by using the shaft of his or her stick with both hands. In the rules of the National Hockey League, cross-checking is defined in Rule 59.[1]

While body checking is allowed, the use of the stick increases the risk of injury to an opponent. The most common penalty is a two minute minor, served by the offender. However under certain circumstances the referee may assess a major penalty (plus automatic Game Misconduct) or a Match Penalty if the action is judged to be an attempt to injure the player
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Jovocop » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Topper wrote:A chuck to the ribs is a constant game play. Last time I checked, ribs are below shoulder height, the only high stick was to Booth.

To be exact, the hit on Booth was not even high stick. The freak on his knee is about the same height as Booth. However, the crosschecked on Santorelli could be classified as high stick. Hanzal put his stick under Santorelli's arm and raised it above his own freaking shoulder. :evil:

Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby KeyserSoze » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Sure, the stick work on Santo and Hank could have easily both been called as 2 minute penalties...but really nothing more than that.

Both are pretty typical plays that rarely result in these types of injuries. Really bad luck that both players ended up injured the to the degree that they did.

The Booth play was imo the worst and the most deserving of supplemental.

That said, I hope the Canucks make a point of laying the lumber on Hanzal next game vs the Yotes.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Jovocop wrote:

To be exact, the hit on Booth was not even high stick. The freak on his knee is about the same height as Booth. However, the crosschecked on Santorelli could be classified as high stick. Hanzal put his stick under Santorelli's arm and raised it above his own freaking shoulder. :evil:

The best part is that Henrik went to the penalty box for hooking right before the cross-check. The ref was looking directly at Hank when Hanzal did that. No call.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Meds wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

The best part is that Henrik went to the penalty box for hooking right before the cross-check. The ref was looking directly at Hank when Hanzal did that. No call.

Welcome to the Canucks NHL!

Fixed it .
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Meds wrote:The best part is that Henrik went to the penalty box for hooking right before the cross-check. The ref was looking directly at Hank when Hanzal did that. No call.

Welcome to the NHL!
... And its cross Czechs.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat