Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Lancer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:21 pm

RoyalDude wrote:It's kind of funny the Boss tearing a strip off of the team he assembled. Look in the mirror Mikey, your hired these players and threw the bank at them and more. Now you are trying to get blood from a stone, your players with their fantastic contracts and NTC's simply are not good enough. Good luck with that.

He gave them those contracts in good faith based on what they've produced to date. Yes, he threw the bank at a couple of them and so to have them playing the way they have as of late gives him full rights to tear a strip off them if he wanted to. He held up his end and they are not living up to theirs. They are not playing as advertised in many cases. No doubt you will carve him up for not foreseeing what you think everyone else could see in terms of this team's performance but hindsight's 20/20 when you're looking out your own arse.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Lancer wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's kind of funny the Boss tearing a strip off of the team he assembled. Look in the mirror Mikey, your hired these players and threw the bank at them and more. Now you are trying to get blood from a stone, your players with their fantastic contracts and NTC's simply are not good enough. Good luck with that.

He gave them those contracts in good faith based on what they've produced to date. Yes, he threw the bank at a couple of them and so to have them playing the way they have as of late gives him full rights to tear a strip off them if he wanted to. He held up his end and they are not living up to theirs. They are not playing as advertised in many cases. No doubt you will carve him up for not foreseeing what you think everyone else could see in terms of this team's performance but hindsight's 20/20 when you're looking out your own arse.

Truth.

If the team is gonna shit the bed and they just call it a season till the cap goes up, plus the team NOT being in contention this season, I'd just rather call up Lain and Jensen and play em full time so they can develop much faster.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby mathonwy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Lancer wrote:Botch notes that there was a lengthy post-game meeting including Canuck brass - likely why Sullivan was so late for the post-game presser. Apparently Gillis and Gilman were in there. Botch also suspects that the rumours being fed to Bob McKenzie and LeBrun are a shot across the bow at the players.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/01/31/jets-canucks-van-provies-trade-block-fills-up/

Don't know if this was a motivational moment or whether Gillis is warming the bell and giving the dressing room fair warning, but it's encouraging in a way to see that Gillis is not going to make excuses for this group anymore and appears ready to blow-up this so-called 'covenant' with the core and re-make this roster - albeit likely this offseason.

I guess we'll stay tuned.

Gillis said:

Teams have altered their methodology in playing in the last 18 months significantly in my opinion.
I think we’ve been slow to react to those changes.
The collapsing with the forwards to the front of the net, the shot blocking, it isn’t often you see a really nice highlight reel goal scored.
It’s more getting the puck to the front of the net and jamming away at it.
I think that more than anything it has resulted in skilled players not really scoring skilled goals a lot of the time .
We have to make adjustments.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby mathonwy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:54 pm

This is more of shot against Torts than against the players.

The Torts system is physically a very gruelling system. Combine all the shot blocking being done by all of our top 6 players, with using the Sedins on the PK, with Burrows's horrible luck with injuries, with the David Booth's complete lack of skill and with the overuse of all of the top 6 / top 4 players and you have the cluster of all fucks.

In defense of Torts, this team has been goal starved from day 1 of this season. Could we have made it into our current playoff spot if Torts HADN'T ridden our top three players (Sedin Sedin Kes) like a donkey? Or if he hadn't used the Sedins on the PK? Hard to say.

While I agree with Gillis that we're currently playing the wrong style that the team was built for, Gillis needs to be accountable for not bringing in the right personnel to help adapt the team to the new/old methodology he's talking about. It's not new because Anaheim won a cup in 2007 playing big boy hockey.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:29 pm

mathonwy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:The good news in all of this is that Santorelli should be cheap to sign next yeR :mrgreen:

Gotta feel for him. He was having a decent season with a chance to sign a 2-3 year deal worth more than the league minimum. Now that's all but toast.

I don't think so. I think what he showcased to the NHL so far was enough to convince most GM's that this guy was real deal. He's absolutely better than a 4th liner (and will continue to be so) and currently is a borderline 2nd/3rd liner.

If the Canucks try to lowball Santo, then I'm thinking some other goal starved team like Phoenix, Nashville, Montreal, Carolina, would be more than glad to pick him up.

Let them.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:35 pm

mathonwy wrote:This is more of shot against Torts than against the players.

How so?

Isn't that the defensive zone system Torts coaches. Isn't it also the offensive zone system he coaches.

AV was the pretty goal guy and the players are still learning the transition. Some may and stick around, some may not and go elsewhere.

Topper
CC Legend

Postby mathonwy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Topper wrote:
mathonwy wrote:This is more of shot against Torts than against the players.

How so?

Isn't that the defensive zone system Torts coaches. Isn't it also the offensive zone system he coaches.

AV was the pretty goal guy and the players are still learning the transition. Some may and stick around, some may not and go elsewhere.

Oh, I actually misinterpreted the quote. Never mind!

Yes, I agree that its a shot against the first line telling them to keep it simple. The skilled goals aren't there to be scored because of all of the injuries we've been experiencing so garbage it up.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:41 am

Canucks Misconduct ‏@nucksmisconduct
The Canucks have traded Dale Weise to Montreal for defenceman Raphael Diaz.

The Canucks are getting smaller... not that Dale Weise brings much to the table. Torts just does not like him... :mrgreen:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Henrik has been cleared to play.

Richardson is now out with an undisclosed injury. I have to assume his injury is related to the Eberle slash.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Jovocop wrote:

The Canucks are getting smaller... not that Dale Weise brings much to the table. Torts just does not like him... :mrgreen:

At least with the Torts version of the Canucks players who are not liked or utilized get traded rather than sitting in the pressbox sucking up cap space for no good reason. Maybe Gillis is grabbing a clue finally.....
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:47 pm

Jovocop wrote:

Not really, more like Diaz in for Weber, Lain in for Weise, look at eet someting like dat dere.
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby mathonwy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:42 am

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby $lacker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 9m
Chris Higgins and Dan Hamhuis both out this evening with injuries suffered last night in Detroit. #Canucks Diaz and Pelletier will play.

That defence is looking thiiinnnn!
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:09 pm

$lacker wrote:Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 9m
Chris Higgins and Dan Hamhuis both out this evening with injuries suffered last night in Detroit. #Canucks Diaz and Pelletier will play.

That defence is looking thiiinnnn!

Unreal. I'm just waiting for one of these pre-game "injury" announcements to actually be a smokescreen and the player gets dealt.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm waiting for 1973 to call and ask for their Canucks back.

Topper
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat