Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Gillis wants this team to practice more.

One of John Tortorella’s main philosophies this year has been for his Canucks to lead the league in days off.

It makes sense – because of its location, Vancouver has one of the most grueling travel schedules. Torts also loves giving his stars huge minutes, and he doesn’t want them to burn out come playoff time.

One week ago, Ryan Kesler made a noteworthy comment when talking about the Canucks’ struggles:

“We need to practise. Practice makes perfect and that gains confidence for the game.”

I wrote about how Kesler was calling Torts out, but who knows, maybe it was just an off-the-cuff response to a question.

But yesterday in an interview on the Team 1040, Canucks GM Mike Gillis took it a step further. Asked if fatigue has been an issue for the team so far, he went all-in on the practice sked:

“…I think lack of practice time is a bigger factor. With the new CBA you have to have a mandatory four days off each month, and with our schedule and our travel schedule, fitting four off days in when you have travel days is taking away from practice time.

I think our biggest issue with the power play and with some other aspects of our game is that we’ve had the least amount of practice time we’ve ever had.”

Gillis didn’t hold back, and his response was definitely not a glowing tribute to his coach’s practice philosophy.
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/01/canu ... -an-issue/
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:01 pm

If the players want more practice they'll get it. But MG has a valid point. Trying to get practice time in can be hard especially with a somewhat compressed Olympic schedule makes it hard. As well, being in the new Pacific division has changed our travel schedule somewhat. But again, the most telling part is Kesler wanting more practice. You go with that if you are a coach.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Chris Tanev has a fractured thumb and will be out of the lineup until after the Olympic break.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 pm

herb wrote:Chris Tanev has a fractured thumb and will be out of the lineup until after the Olympic break.

Shit...this poor team...
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Boston Canucker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:50 pm

herb wrote:Chris Tanev has a fractured thumb and will be out of the lineup until after the Olympic break.

Jesus, bring up Corrado, and while we're at it, Jensen too. I realize Schroeder's goals were both serious puck luck, but at least he's got it. Bring the kids in, let 'em bring a bit of energy and light to the darkness.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby mathonwy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:15 pm

When it rains.... it fucking tsunami's.....

Agree with BC. Bring up Frankie. Bring up Sauve. Bring up anyone we can bring up to get rid of this horrible dark cloud that's hanging over our head.

Win or lose, I just want to see energetic good hockey. The Coiler game was brutally hard to watch.
Last edited by mathonwy on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Schroeder was the only Canuck who didn’t look like his dog just died on Monday.

I agree with the general sentiment. Make some call-ups and shake up this roster. I actually liked HW’s suggestion of waiving Booth. Clearly the guy is not going to work out here…time to move on. Create a roster spot that we can cycle some Utica guys through and see if anybody catches on. Grenier and Jensen are two guys I’d like to see before the season is done, and I’d like to see Archibald and Corrado a bit more as well.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BladesofSteel » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:43 pm

Tough luck for Tanev, but on the bright side, the timing is perfect.

Somewhat agree with the consensus, let's bring up some kids. But not Jensen.

Waive/demote Booth, recall Corrado and give Grenier Booth's spot.

Higgins Kes Kas
Sedin Richardson Burr
Grenier Schroeder Hansen
Sestito Lain Weiss

Character building period.
The grass is always greener
BladesofSteel
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby SKYO » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Here's my bandaid lineup while Hank is out.

Sedin Kesler Kassian
Higgins Schroeder Burrows
Sestito Dalpe Hansen
Archi Richarsdon Lain

All in favour of waiving Booth?
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:15 pm

SKYO wrote:All in favour of waiving Booth?

IF we go that route, I would hope the Canucks would just send him home with his paycheck. No point in having him play out the year in Utica. Pay him, let him sit on the couch, and that way he's healthy for a buyout this summer.
Island Nucklehead
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Is waiving him the best route or just the quickest?
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby mathonwy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:15 pm

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 pm

And now Bieksa will not be on this road trip.

SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:00 pm

The rumors yesterday were true...Mike Santorelli has had shoulder surgery and is done for the season. Recovery is expected to take 5-6 months. Tough break for Mike and the Canucks.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Diehard1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:23 pm

So far this season Henrik, Tanev, Edler, Bieksa, Santorelli, Kassian (suspension), Burrows, Luongo, Stanton, Alberts, Schroeder, have all missed significant time. That's half the roster right there.

If the team was healthy they'd be 5 or 6 in the west. Problem is they are never healthy and don't have the depth to overcome major injuries.

Not sure what I want for this season anymore. I can't see Aquilini allowing Gillis to do a mini rebuild, it's just too lucrative to get into the playoffs, but that's really what I think they need. Trade a couple of roster players like the Sharks did last year, maybe you squeak into the playoffs and maybe not, but you're much stronger over the long run. Perhaps a guy like Hansen, Richardson, Weise can get you a pick or young player. A guy like Tanev would grt you more, and a guy like Edler more still. Doubt any big trades happen but third liners are worth a ton at the deadline, would be interesting to shop a couple.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat