Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby nuckster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Meds wrote:
dbr wrote:That being said what I can't really recall is hearing of a prospect signed in the middle of a season like this. Given that USA Hockey just named their final WJC training camp roster and Cassels was not on it, one has to wonder whether this contract was seen as a vote of confidence and a bit of a consolation prize for the young player.


In that case what do the Canucks give Gaunce? A paid trip to Tahiti for Christmas? :P


I don't know what to make of Gaunce. So much was made about him initially, but his damn foot-speed is like ...what? Now he didn't make it onto the WJ team. Not a promising sign from one who was so highly touted a year ago or so. BUT, in spite of this kind of speculation, didn't Erie of the OHL seek him out in a trade just recently? What do they see that's not readily apparent to the unaware west coast arm chair speculator? `Southern Canuck' might have some insight to offer here since he's on top of the prospect scene more than most?
cc oldtimer
nuckster
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Topper » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:55 pm

From the limited amount I have seen of his play, Gaunce is a fundamentals player. Rock solid with little flash but reliably gets it done.

For now I'm not concerned.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4793
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:58 pm

nuckster wrote:
Meds wrote:
dbr wrote:That being said what I can't really recall is hearing of a prospect signed in the middle of a season like this. Given that USA Hockey just named their final WJC training camp roster and Cassels was not on it, one has to wonder whether this contract was seen as a vote of confidence and a bit of a consolation prize for the young player.


In that case what do the Canucks give Gaunce? A paid trip to Tahiti for Christmas? :P


I don't know what to make of Gaunce. So much was made about him initially, but his damn foot-speed is like ...what? Now he didn't make it onto the WJ team. Not a promising sign from one who was so highly touted a year ago or so. BUT, in spite of this kind of speculation, didn't Erie of the OHL seek him out in a trade just recently? What do they see that's not readily apparent to the unaware west coast arm chair speculator? `Southern Canuck' might have some insight to offer here since he's on top of the prospect scene more than most?


I haven't seen him play other than a couple of pre-season and camp highlights. Is is speed really that bad, or is it just average?

All I've read about him on here is that he projects as a third line center, and honestly if he's got average speed that isn't the end of the world if he's smart enough to make up for it positionally and play a more physical game. Speed is nice though when you want a third line that can get in on the forecheck and quickly recover.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3332
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Edler out indefinitely, Alberts slots in.. :o

Can see what life will be like on the Canucks without the mighty Alexander Edler.

Garrison Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa
Stanton Alberts

Although I'd 100x prefer to see Corrado called up, I think he alongside Garrison would be a deadleh combo.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3453
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Topper » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Makes one miss KB4. :P
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4793
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:58 pm

SKYO wrote:Edler out indefinitely, Alberts slots in.. :o

Can see what life will be like on the Canucks without the mighty Alexander Edler.

Garrison Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa
Stanton Alberts

Although I'd 100x prefer to see Corrado called up, I think he alongside Garrison would be a deadleh combo.


Yeah, replacing Edler with Alberts will only make Edler look invaluable.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3332
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Strangelove » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:42 pm

nuckster wrote:Appreciate your reasoned responses there Mr. Bersnoozi!


If he likes you he calls you mister.

It's a ster thing.

Todd is nothing if not reasoned.

Hmmm... Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce, Schroeder... the future looks bright at centre.

That's right: Schroeder! Image
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7373
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Arachnid » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Topper wrote:Makes one miss KB4. :P


Oh no you didn't :shock:
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5013
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby nuckster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Strangelove wrote:
nuckster wrote:Appreciate your reasoned responses there Mr. Bersnoozi!


If he likes you he calls you mister.

It's a ster thing.

Todd is nothing if not reasoned.

Hmmm... Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce, Schroeder... the future looks bright at centre.

That's right: Schroeder! Image


Quite a memory there Mr. Strangelove! I'm not usually driven to 'ster' the pot ... just smoke a little now and again. I'm usually content with my 'lurker' status - life gets pretty busy sometimes.

In all seriousness, does anyone know what has happened with Donny (Lever)? I recall reading a post somewhere along the line that mentioned 'RIP' in reference to Donnie and I thought WTF?; I didn't have time at the time to follow it up.
cc oldtimer
nuckster
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby rats19 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:29 pm

He became disenfranchised..
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4699
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:12 pm

I heard he was traded to the Leafs for future considerations and the NHL is still trying to figure out the trade call. Might just be a rumour though!
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm

nuckster wrote:BUT, in spite of this kind of speculation, didn't Erie of the OHL seek him out in a trade just recently?


Yeah, I noticed that Gaunce got traded to the otters too. Too bad, guess he won't be playing with our other prospect Jordan Subban anymore.

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Too bad, guess he won't be playing with our other prospect Jordan Subban anymore.



Too bad?? Yeah, too bad Gaunce has been traded from one of the worst teams in the OHL to the best. It really is a shame now that he'll be competing for a Memorial Cup instead of trying to keep a crappy team afloat. That can't possibly be good for his development... :lol:
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:22 pm

herb wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Too bad, guess he won't be playing with our other prospect Jordan Subban anymore.



Too bad?? Yeah, too bad Gaunce has been traded from one of the worst teams in the OHL to the best. It really is a shame now that he'll be competing for a Memorial Cup instead of trying to keep a crappy team afloat. That can't possibly be good for his development... :lol:


The only shame is that Subban didn't come with him. Who knows, perhaps if he was on the Otters all season he might be on the WJ squad. Look forward to seeing how he competes in their run.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby $lacker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:22 pm

Not sure how many of you have seen this or if it's even on the boards yet, but I'm pretty excited to see the final product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4AwAYWUwUE
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Per and 2 guests