Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:40 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:Honestly, as silly as this may sound, I would actually reward David Booth with that spot tonight based on the way he's played the past few games.


One of the first things you've said that I absolutely agree with.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3126
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Meds wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:Honestly, as silly as this may sound, I would actually reward David Booth with that spot tonight based on the way he's played the past few games.


One of the first things you've said that I absolutely agree with.


That's cool, but I just don't see your logic in thinking that the Jets would accept a bunch of scrubs for Evander Kane.

You have to give if you want to receive.

What you perceive as giving up too much, I perceive as reality.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:52 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:
Meds wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:Honestly, as silly as this may sound, I would actually reward David Booth with that spot tonight based on the way he's played the past few games.


One of the first things you've said that I absolutely agree with.


That's cool, but I just don't see your logic in thinking that the Jets would accept a bunch of scrubs for Evander Kane.

You have to give if you want to receive.

What you perceive as giving up too much, I perceive as reality.


Ummm......when did I say they would accept a bunch of scrubs for Kane?

Any thoughts I've had regarding a trade for Evander Kane have always included Edler going to Winterpeg.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3126
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Sorry my bad,

For some reason, I had you mixed with some of the 'Urine Crew' that were suggesting that we'd be able to get Kane for Welsh, Weise, Booth, and other popcorn farts of that nature.

As far as moving Edler or one of our Top 4 goes, I respectfully disagree with that.

Without superstars on defense, having depth on defense is absolutely VITAL. Things look pretty rosy back there now, but it's because we haven't had any key injuries on D.

Based on what happened in 2011, we of all teams should know what an injury-ridden defense will do to a team. We ended up missing the post-season in 2007/2008 largely due to this reason as well. A large reason why Chicago owned us in our first few playoff series' against them in recent years, was also related to this (especially 09/10).

Moving a Top 4 defenseman for a Top 6 Forward (non franchise player) will do nothing for this team other than re-arranging our strengths (i.e. trading downgraded defense for upgraded offense). We will be different, but we won't be better.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:14 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:
For some reason, I had you mixed with some of the 'Urine Crew'



I can't imagine why.
User avatar
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:19 pm

I’d go with Hansen with the Twins. Put the Amex line back together and Kassian draws back into the lineup.

Weise is quietly becoming an effective NHLer. While his ceiling last year was as a 12/13 forward, now it looks like he has legitimate third line potential.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby $lacker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Some interesting quotes from the coach in the Vancouver Sun regarding Alex Burrows... doesn't seem like Torts agrees with some posters views on #14:http://tinyurl.com/kld5pr5

“He's out for a while. It's been a tough year for him. He's a big part of … the soul of our team. He works hard. He's such a great teammate. Everybody likes to have him around. It hurts. It's a big blow to us, but we have to move by it and get ready to play our next game.”

“That's what he's about; that's what everybody loves about him,” Tortorella said of Burrows' toughness. “And he played good, too. Watching the tape, I could see he was moving his jaw around and you could tell it was bothering him. But he played and played really well. It doesn't surprise me. In the short time I've been with him, that's what he's about. That's what we'll miss a lot in the room — that type of guy. We'll need to find a way to get it done.”
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:06 pm

$lacker wrote:Some interesting quotes from the coach in the Vancouver Sun regarding Alex Burrows... doesn't seem like Torts agrees with some posters views on #14:http://tinyurl.com/kld5pr5

“He's out for a while. It's been a tough year for him. He's a big part of … the soul of our team. He works hard. He's such a great teammate. Everybody likes to have him around. It hurts. It's a big blow to us, but we have to move by it and get ready to play our next game.”

“That's what he's about; that's what everybody loves about him,” Tortorella said of Burrows' toughness. “And he played good, too. Watching the tape, I could see he was moving his jaw around and you could tell it was bothering him. But he played and played really well. It doesn't surprise me. In the short time I've been with him, that's what he's about. That's what we'll miss a lot in the room — that type of guy. We'll need to find a way to get it done.”


Has Blobby IPA's read this about the coach (Torts) who replaced the coach (AV) whom Blobby Stubbies couldn't stand cause he ruined Kassian and Ballards careers, about Torts views on Burr?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4292
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:13 pm

I don't think anybody disputes that Burrows is "a hard working guy" who "works hard" and is a "great teammate".

Tom Sestito's probably a great teammate. That doesn't mean he doesn't suck at hockey.

The bottom line is that Burrows has not looked like a $4.5M player at all this season. People have shat all over other $4M underachievers like Ballard, Booth and to a lesser extent Demitra, but for some reason Burrows gets a pass.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:23 pm

herb wrote:I don't think anybody disputes that Burrows is "a hard working guy" who "works hard" and is a "great teammate".

Tom Sestito's probably a great teammate. That doesn't mean he doesn't suck at hockey.

The bottom line is that Burrows has not looked like a $4.5M player at all this season. People have shat all over other $4M underachievers like Ballard, Booth and to a lesser extent Demitra, but for some reason Burrows gets a pass.


Try looking at the big picture and what Burr means in that room. I can withstand a little struggling from Burrows. Guys like Ballard, Booth had/have not earned that to be given the kind of rope that Burrows is getting, not too mention that it amazes me to see the blindness at the tangibles Burrows brings to the table other than just bulging the twine. But carry on with your Burrows bed wetting you minions.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4292
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby dhabums » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:34 pm

herb wrote:I don't think anybody disputes that Burrows is "a hard working guy" who "works hard" and is a "great teammate".

Tom Sestito's probably a great teammate. That doesn't mean he doesn't suck at hockey.

The bottom line is that Burrows has not looked like a $4.5M player at all this season. People have shat all over other $4M underachievers like Ballard, Booth and to a lesser extent Demitra, but for some reason Burrows gets a pass.


The "for some reason" is his body of work as a Canuck. That should be ******* obvious.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby rats19 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Burrows is a huge part of this core..from me slack is given..
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:52 pm

rats19 wrote:Burrows is a huge part of this cote..from me slack is given..


Sure. I think most people recognize what Burrows has done for the team and how hard he works. It needs to be pointed out, however, that his lack of production offensively is costing us. That's not to say that he's useless or that he won't recover, but if this team is going to be successful he NEEDS to put up some points.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4012
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby dbr » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:28 pm

Yep.

I'd take 0 goal, $4.5m Alex Burrows over 0 goal $4.25m David Booth out on the ice ten times out of ten.

I'd take 0 goal, $4.5m Alex Burrows over 0 goal $4.25m David Booth in the room too (and in my heart Image).

But ultimately I don't want 0 goal $4.5m Alex Burrows - or 10 goal $4.5m Alex Burrows for that matter - on my team.

I don't think he was going to go on that way all season but neither was he 30 goal Alex Burrows and he might never be again, and it's a legitimate concern.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm

FYI people,

When Burrows returned from his injury, the Canucks were 7th in the league on the PK.

When he returned, the Canucks killed 50/54 penalties.....with Burrows being an integral part of the PK.

The moral of the story is this: Yes, Burrows needs to pick it up big time offensively......BUT.....he brings so much more to the table than just offense.....and because of that, any comparison to Booth or Kassian is irresponsible and ridiculous.

And on a side note - Burrows isn't just "floating" out there on offense. He's getting legit scoring chances by working hard and getting into the correct positions. He was simply not finishing. Obviously, that needs to change.....but he was in the right track, and I think he was about to eventually break out.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest