Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote: Manny won't file a grievance because in the end he chose this route. If he didn't agree to the IR he gets waived, the Canucks have every right to to that. He's not going to go play in the AHL, this is a far better option for him and his family.

The Canucks had several different options in order to get Kesler back on the roster, I would assume ending the career one of the best individuals to play for this team wasn't at the top of their list.

And it's not just up to Manny, it's also up to the Canucks and Mike Gillis to ensure they are protecting their players to the best of their ability, like any employer. In this case that is to shut down Manny and put him on the IR.

In the long run I think Manny and his family will appreciate the approach the Canucks took as he watches his new born baby grow up!
:thumbs: nicely put!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
dbr wrote: That being said Manny was pulled from the lineup a few games back and I'd wager the Canucks had already seen enough by then.
Agreed, The Canucks could have easily just bought him out this offseason, it sounded like they gave Manny a chance, to be nice to let him play, but knowing full well that eventually they would have to pull him from the team.

I don't know if management wanted to put Manny on waivers to send him down to the AHL if they think his eyesight is really that bad, or they just came to a mutual agreement to just take the rest of the season off.

Anyways with all these conspiracies, I foresee Manny testing UFA waters to see if there are any takers, if not the Canucks will in all likelyhood give him a office or assistant coaching job in the AHL next season.

He won't be in the AHl coaching next year. He is in love with Vancouver as is his family. Whatever role he has it will be here in Vancouver at least in the short term.
The only HW the Canucks need
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: I agree. But that's up to the guy with the contract. How you can be forced onto the IR when you've met all physical/health requirements is beyond me. If Manny wasn't such a team guy I'd be expecting an NHLPA grievance. As it is, it works out for the Canucks.
Manny won't file a grievance because in the end he chose this route. If he didn't agree to the IR he gets waived, the Canucks have every right to to that. He's not going to go play in the AHL, this is a far better option for him and his family.

The Canucks had several different options in order to get Kesler back on the roster, I would assume ending the career one of the best individuals to play for this team wasn't at the top of their list.

And it's not just up to Manny, it's also up to the Canucks and Mike Gillis to ensure they are protecting their players to the best of their ability, like any employer. In this case that is to shut down Manny and put him on the IR.

In the long run I think Manny and his family will appreciate the approach the Canucks took as he watches his new born baby grow up!
Elliotte Freidman said on the radio that he contacted the PA about Malhotra and they do not have any issues with how Manny was handled.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

You know what would be compelling and entertaining television, watching MG's luggage bag eyes expand as he explodded all over the sports "journalist" who had the gall to ask him straight out if this was a cynical move to circumvent the roster and cap rules...

I might buy tickets for that...

Maybe Pratt's ratings need a boost :)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I would hope management isn't that greasy that they'd ask/tell Manny he's not physically capable solely to get Kesler into the lineup without having to send someone down.
The greasier the better . It's all about winning and Manny at his pricepoint was dead weight. He will have raked in 7.5 million for 3/4 of a good season. Not too bad .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:
He won't be in the AHl coaching next year. He is in love with Vancouver as is his family. Whatever role he has it will be here in Vancouver at least in the short term.
Maybe minor hockey somewhere then.
Or if the AHL finally moves some team out to the west coast.
Hockey Widow wrote:
Or they could explore trade opportunities and get back a 4-7 round pick. There are teams that need centres that would take him for cheep. If Manny was faced with press box, minors or waiving his NTC I am sure a deal somewhere could have been worked out.

In other words, if this is about making a roster spot the Canucks had plenty of options available to do that other than end a guys career. They gave him the option of retiring and immediately joining the front office in a capacity to be worked out, or, going on IR until July 1st but his playing days in Vancouver are over. If he stays on IR then he will collect his salary and come July 1 if he feels he can play he can test the market.

The absolute fear here was not about his eye but about his ability to protect himself on the ice from what could be a devastating injury because he didn't see it coming.
I would agree, and I'm sure he's better off on IR than riding a bus somewhere in the AHL

I wonder if Manny was covered by the Canucks insurance plan?
They usually cover the top 6 or 7 players, so maybe not...
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Elliotte Freidman said on the radio that he contacted the PA about Malhotra and they do not have any issues with how Manny was handled.
If anybody would be up in arms if this thing was shady or a cynical cap move, it would be the PA. If Manny thought he was getting the shaft after getting the news from GMMG, you don't think his first call would be to the PA if not his agent? The fact that the PA has been mum about an event involving someone who was part of their negotiating team tells me this is above-board. Manny may not like it - who would be happy with the stark realization that they can't play pro-hockey anymore, just like that? - but it seems he, and everyone around him understand the rationale.

As a couple of others have said, he has the rest of his life to think about beyond the next couple years he could possibly play.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Manny Malhotra, the player, is done. Even if he could see the hits coming, his game has slipped to the point where he hurts the team as soon as the draw is won. He lags behind the play, he can't (ahem) see the ice as well and he is a physical non-factor.

He should sit down with his old lady, smile as he checks his account balance then plan on a career in coaching. Guys who command the respect Manny does seem to do well behind the bench. If the Canucks are offering a job, he should embrace this reality and not look back.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Manny Malhotra, the player, is done.
Yup, Manny could've insisted on being waived if he had any illusions of continuing his playing career.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

- @ElliottPap
Canuck LW David Booth (groin) says he is close and expects to play on upcoming road trip. #canucks

-AV on Manny skating with extras: "He's still part of our team. Anytime he wants to step on ice and skate with guys, he's more than welcome."

-Canuck morning skate sparsely populated: 2 goalies and non-playing Booth (groin), Ebbett, Alberts and Barker. Luongo starts.
Skaters on ice this morning: 1, 35, 7, 18, 25, 41. They are joined by Malhotra
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Should we hang Manny's jersey up in the rafters along side fellow Mother Teresa, smile for the camera while visiting sick kids - Trevor Linden, the Man, the Myth, the Legend? The Real Estate Developer, businessman behind the #16 Fitness centres?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Should we hang Manny's jersey up in the rafters along side fellow Mother Teresa, smile for the camera while visiting sick kids - Trevor Linden, the Man, the Myth, the Legend? The Real Estate Developer, businessman behind the #16 Fitness centres?
We should hang Booths while we're at it. It's pretty embarrassing that we hung jerseys for players who never won squat.
We need to win a fuckin cup now. This is brutal.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:Should we hang Manny's jersey up in the rafters along side fellow Mother Teresa, smile for the camera while visiting sick kids - Trevor Linden, the Man, the Myth, the Legend? The Real Estate Developer, businessman behind the #16 Fitness centres?
Sadly, you'll probably find some who think so.

BTW, with the bar set so low, does Burrows carry a bigger lunch pail than Steamer.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.