Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:45 am

Stanton was a waiver pick up, not a trade. But I agree it was a great pick up. Perhaps that is what we need to do since our drafting has stunk. Keep watching waivers and grab those kids. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:08 am

Kellan Lain has been an asset in the games played with the Canucks.

Another non-draft pick up.

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:42 am

Mantha's offensive ability is tempting but he is a one way guy who is pretty much known for a lack of intensity, heart, effort.. he is either going to have to prove he is a world class talent to succeed in the NHL, or completely reform his game. Plus he is way older than most of the guys drafted in 2013.. born a day or two earlier and he would have been a mid round pick in 2012. I don't know, lots to like about him but there are some pretty big red flags.

Smith, I haven't seen him play much but he's only three years younger than Edler and we had a pretty good idea of what kind of player Alex Edler could be by that age (a defenseman we have at the same age, Chris Tanev, probably isn't going to add any other big dimensions to his game either).

I wouldn't turn my nose up at either player but I'd hope we could do better for Edler.

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:17 am

I would be pissed if we gave up Edler for those 2 meh players frankly.

Edler for Tatar and Nyquist...sure
nobody forks...with the jesus

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am

LOL two first round picks for Edler.

Keep guessing folks.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 am

Canuck-One wrote:We have some serious gaps up front that need filling and I doubt Gillis can do the job in one fell swoop.

Sedin - Sedin - ______
_____ - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - ____ - Hansen
Sestito - _____ - ______

When healthy we have a capable crew on D but need a big mean sob added to the mix who makes whomsoever gets too close to Roberto pay the price.

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Tanev - Stanton
Diaz

So our D is our strength but who goes if someone has to? It looks like Edler is the easy first choice but will one player fill the holes? I doubt it.
Depends on how you look at this. I for one don't look at any changes that MG makes as turning this team into an instant contender for this spring. I look for him to make moves that keep us in the playoff picture, and also have us geared up to coach a younger, faster, more dynamic, but more inexperienced group next year that will limp through the first half of the season before starting to come together and finally making a drive to the playoffs.

Sedin - Sedin - Trade/UFA
Trade/UFA - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Shinkaruk
Sestito - Gaunce/Lain/Richardson - Archibald/UFA

We only need to make moves to add a couple of forwards. Unfortunately for Gillis those two forward spots are in the top six.....so a tall order. However I do think that Edler, Burrows, and Hansen, with Schroeder and the odd pick is more than enough to get that done.

It is time to start seeing what some of our youth can do, and how they develop while playing in the big league with some NHL regulars as on-ice/off-ice mentors.

On the blueline I would target Matt Niskanen in Pittsburgh. He's UFA this season, so I would be knocking on that door to see what it would take. I would also consider looking at Dan Giardi and Mark Stuart if they can't come to terms with their respective clubs.

I think that apart from Edler, one of Hamhuis or Bieksa are going to be traded, and if we are keeping Garrison then I would prefer it be Hamhuis as both of them are fairly non-aggressive players out there, whereas Juice still plays with a snarl, and Torts likes him.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 am

Topper wrote:LOL two first round picks for Edler.

Keep guessing folks.
Probably not, but with the way some of these contenders shop at the deadline just for rentals, I think Edler gets you a 1st and a half decent prospect, or a 1st and a 2nd.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:42 am

Henrik forced out next 2 games by Torts, but he says its up Hank to determine if he goes to Sochi or not.

If he goes imo it's his way of saying this season is adios muchachos 2014/15 season it is!
Should be apparent that this season is a write off anyways, this team needs some serious surgery to repair itself for next season.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:07 pm

SKYO wrote:Henrik forced out next 2 games by Torts, but he says its up Hank to determine if he goes to Sochi or not.

If he goes imo it's his way of saying this season is adios muchachos 2014/15 season it is!
Should be apparent that this season is a write off anyways, this team needs some serious surgery to repair itself for next season.
If he goes I think that it should received as he doesn't put the team that has guaranteed him $7M/year for the next 4 years at the top of his priority list. Therefore the team should not put his future at the top of theirs.

I say shop the Sedins! :P

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Time for your meds, meds! jk

I know they ain't playing well right now compared to the beginning of the season when they were on fire and healthy, but ya just need to give em some slack man, when healthy they are a awesome and deadly combo.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:26 pm

SKYO wrote:Time for your meds, meds! jk

I know they ain't playing well right now compared to the beginning of the season when they were on fire and healthy, but ya just need to give em some slack man, when healthy they are a awesome and deadly combo.
I hear ya, but I just don't think these are guys we should be building around going forward. Especially if we are at that point where it is time for us to start over. The Sedins will be 34 this year and they are our BEST assets for a trade. I used to think that it would be great to actually have a pair of star players that the Canucks drafted, developed, and then let retire as Canucks.....that was before they hit 34 years old and were given $28M contracts over 4 years. Gillis should have locked them up to 7 years on that last deal, they would have been going on 36 come end of contract in 2016, and the team could go through this re-tooling process with them locked up and being re-assessed at that point as to whether or not they would be worth extending and at what price.

I'm just afraid that we are at the point where it is time to start from scratch again, and I really don't want to see us go the way of Edmonton or Calgary. Especially Calgary who have nothing after Monahan in the prospect pool, and beyond Giordano and a few bottom 3 defensemen and bottom 9 forwards look pretty bleak at the NHL level.

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:10 pm

RoyalDude wrote:6'0"??? Try 6'5"

Love this kids game. Impressed with what I saw of him at the WJC'S. Smith and Mantha would be great additions the 'next' group here. Get er done
I completely agree with this.

Smith and Mantha for Edler would be an excellent long term deal for us.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Happy to hear Hank is staying home to get better!
@mattsekeres 1m

Swedish media reporting that #Canucks Henrik Sedin is out of the Olympics and that Mikael Backlund will be his replacement.
‏@JamiesonCanucks 1m

Swedish Aftonbladet Sports reporting Henrik Sedin has pulled himself out of Olympics.
:thumbs:

lord hath redeemed hank

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:18 pm

SKYO wrote:Happy to hear Hank is staying home to get better!
@mattsekeres 1m

Swedish media reporting that #Canucks Henrik Sedin is out of the Olympics and that Mikael Backlund will be his replacement.
Agreed - it was the only option IMO. How could he go play for Sweden when he can't play for the club that pays him? Sucks for Henrik being his last chance (most likely), but he needs the rest and maybe his brother will wake up and find his game playing with some other talent!

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:35 pm

$lacker wrote:
SKYO wrote:Happy to hear Hank is staying home to get better!
@mattsekeres 1m

Agreed - it was the only option IMO. How could he go play for Sweden when he can't play for the club that pays him? Sucks for Henrik being his last chance (most likely), but he needs the rest and maybe his brother will wake up and find his game playing with some other talent!
Truly sucks. The Sedins + Loui Eriksson were meant to be our first line. :(

The twins already have Olympic and world championship gold medals though, so I think their main concern is winning Lord Stanley's cup, to have won all three major hockey competitions.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.