Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO »

-Henrik Sedin's ironman streak ends at 679 games.

-Canucks players and nhl league fans sans calgary respecting Torts fierce protection and dedication to the team.

-Schroeder and Stanton looking like they'll play in Edmonton.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:-Henrik Sedin's ironman streak ends at 679 games.

-Canucks players and nhl league fans sans calgary respecting Torts fierce protection and dedication to the team.

-Schroeder and Stanton looking like they'll play in Edmonton.
The good news bad news post. Too bad for Hank but not a surprise. He has two weeks to get ready for the Olympics but if he can't go he will get a further two weeks to recover. If it had to happen the timing is good.

Great timing to get JS back, we need help at centre with Hank and Santorelli both out. I assume Lain will dress as well? It will undoubtably take JS time to get into game shape and in suspect that with the Hank injury this took away the ability the Canucks had to give JS a few days of conditioning.

Great news that Stanton is ready, or near ready, to return.

Let's hope these returning players get up to speed quickly and that Hank and Santorrelli are both ready, or close to ready, after the Olympics, with no more injuries please.

And ya, for the most part everyone sees through Hartley and know exactly what he did. With his own players and ex-players telling it like it is it is hard for him to hide from the truth. At the same time there is universal condemnation for Torts on his locker room scrum, and rightly so. I think most people see this correctly, Hartley with a fine and Torts with a suspension and or fine.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

With Hank so banged up I have to imagine he won't be going to Sochi. His loyalty comes first to the Canucks, and he has already won an Olympic gold. He doesn't have much else to prove there.

Good to hear that Schroeder and Stanton are back. Kind of a relief, really. They won't compensate for Hank, but I'll be interested to see how Schroeder does. He should get lots of ice time, at the very least!

Weber has been OK, but I assume he'll be coming out of the lineup, or maybe moved to forward.

I have to imagine Lain will play after Saturday's fiasco. The Canucks can't do that to the kid after his folks come in to watch him play his first game which only lasts two seconds. Hopefully the Canucks are flying his folks to Edmonton for Tuesday's game.

Putting my rose coloured glasses on here for a minute, but maybe losing Hank will be a good thing for Daniel. He has been off all year, and maybe this will give him a bit of urgency to put this team on his back and win us some damn games. Sometimes adversity brings out the best in people.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:Hopefully the Canucks are flying his folks to Edmonton for Tuesday's game.
[humourless] That would be a violation of the CBA. [/humourless]
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Friedman in addition to his writeup of Saturday's events linked to this article today on twitter:

Tortorella Hartley Feud Goes Back to the 1995 Amerks

Featuring this classic Torts image:

And a few interesting notes:
But anyone who watched the Amerks in 1995-96 surely just smiled and said, "Pfft, we've seen this before."

"That was a normal weekend for us," former Amerks winger Scott Metcalfe said, laughing about the chaos between the Flames and Canucks and the rage of his former Rochester coach.

Scott Nichol played on that Amerks team, which Tortorella guided from last place in January to the Calder Cup in June. (That is, by the way, the last time an Amerks team brought the Calder Cup to Rochester.)

Nichol is now director of player development for the Nashville Predators, having retired over the summer after a 17-year pro career. He saw the Tortorella/Hartley exchange.

"They know how to push each other's buttons pretty well," Nichol said this morning.

It has been 18 1/2 years since the first Tortorella/Hartley encounter and time surely hasn't made the hearts grow fonder. Tortorella does, however, remain steadfast in his commitment to his team.

So why didn't Tortorella defuse the situation against the Canucks by putting out a skill line? Why exacerbate the matter by choosing to deploy your set of nuclear weapons against the Hartley starters? Is someone really going to jump the Sedin twins?

"Is someone going to jump Phil Kessel," Nichol countered. "John Scott did (in the Sabres-Maple leaves preseason game)."

"Players respect that he (Tortorella) has their back," Nichol said. "As a player, you rally around that. It's been his M.O. for a long time: us against the world. The team is an inner circle and if anyone outside that inner circle tries to interfere, he erupts."

The Hartley M.O. hasn't changed much either: He loves his tough-guys and wants his team to be nasty and abrasive.

"Hartley always, always, always, always wanted his team to be tougher than they really were," said Scott Metcalfe, the Amerks Hall of Famer who played a key role with Nichol and Dan Frawley on that 1996 Calder Cup team.

Tortorella never backs down from a challenge. He doesn't think his team ever should, either.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:[humourless] That would be a violation of the CBA. [/humourless]
Really? Silly unions..
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm actually only making semi-educated guess on that one, I think it would constitute benefits given to a player outside of their SPC that the league might consider to be cap circumvention (the Portland Winterhawks got killed in the dub for similar violations, obviously a different environment but I'm sure you pick up what I'm putting down).

I seem to recall teams being limited to one "father son" road trip per season for reasons like this.

(Of course as I am pulling this entirely out of my ass I may be horribly, completely mistaken)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

That actually does make some sense.

My cousin, whose wife is a good friend of a former Canuck's wife, told me once that the player's wife had to fork out for her own tickets.

The wife used to smuggle vodka into GM Place too, but that's a different story.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote:I'm actually only making semi-educated guess on that one, I think it would constitute benefits given to a player outside of their SPC that the league might consider to be cap circumvention (the Portland Winterhawks got killed in the dub for similar violations, obviously a different environment but I'm sure you pick up what I'm putting down).

I seem to recall teams being limited to one "father son" road trip per season for reasons like this.

(Of course as I am pulling this entirely out of my ass I may be horribly, completely mistaken)
I'd be kind of curious how they manage to do all those "fathers/family etc." road trips where the dads/siblings or whoever go on the road with the team. I imagine if Aquaman or Torts wanted to pay for the tickets or flight they'd be able to, so long as there's no benefit to the player.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

@drosennhl

John Tortorella suspended 15 days by NHL without pay (retroactive to Sunday) for actions in 1st intermission Sat. He will miss 6 games. Returns Feb. 3.

&

$25,000 fine for Bob Hartley.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Ouch. Torts gone for 6 games - no contact with the team.

At least Hartley got a fine - hopefully for "inappropriate player selection?" LOL
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

SKYO wrote:@drosennhl

John Tortorella suspended 15 days by NHL without pay (retroactive to Sunday) for actions in 1st intermission Sat. He will miss 6 games. Returns Feb. 3.

&

Torts is my new hero. Buttman ,Hartley,Burke, the Flamers, most of the refs, and Shanny can go fuck themselves. How did those morons in head office ever come up with this asinine decision.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

SKYO wrote:@drosennhl

&

Seems about right to me.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Zedlee wrote:Ouch. Torts gone for 6 games - no contact with the team.

At least Hartley got a fine - hopefully for "inappropriate player selection?" LOL
No contact with the team....there's always Twitter John!.... :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'll take Torts with a 15 day suspension over a quiet gum-chewing AV ANY day.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."