Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:That was a pretty hard shot Tanev took off the foot/ankle . I wouldn't be shocked if he was injured after that blast .Either way it might not be a bad idea to rest him for awhile as he probably has quite a bruise .
That tank top looks really good on you blobber....even with the hairy boobs stick'n out.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So....curious what people think of Virtanen.

I am not seeing the ceiling that was talked about in his draft year. He seems to lack the vision and ability to find the open ice and/or go to the net where he's in a position to knock in garbage goals. He hangs back from puck battles for some reason and appears to be waiting for others to dig out the puck. On the forecheck he should be right up in the opposition D's business but instead looks to knockdown passes.

It's pretty frustrating to watch and sure it's early but the team has to have concerns. He has exceptional wheels and a good shot, although his release speed is CHL calibre at this stage....this can improve for sure.

On a mediocre WJC Canadian team, at this point I'd put him around 3rd line depth so far....which is a real knock on where he should be.

I was impressed with Boeser on the top line of team USA. He's got some moves in traffic and seems to be a quality passer...not sure if this is because he was added to Mathews line or that's just how he plays.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but really who cares....it's not like we need to manage traffic volume on here :mad:
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah it seems to be everyone's concerns regarding Jake. He doesn't know where to go or what to do in the o'zone when he is without the puck. He has a real hard time finding those positions to put himself in play with his line linemates. Must be a frustrating guy to have on your line. He always seems too far away. Not sure what he is thinking. Gotta think the GM and coach will start getting frustrated with him. Puck support, anticipation and cycling with linemates when without the puck is tough for Jake. I don't get it. Is he David Booth dumb?

Boeser is the opposite of Booth, he knows how to get in those areas to be of use to his linemates. I see a day when Boeser and McCann form a nice duo. Jake seems destined for the 2nd or 3rd line. He's just gonna have to focus on what he does best, getting the puck on the fly and using his speed and size to force the puck to the net via shot or driving to net, and of course hitting, but he really needs to stop the useless behind the play hits just for the sake of getting a rise out f the audience
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I see Virtanen as a Wayne Simmonds clone..

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hoc ... r.php?6472
Simmonds:
Assets: Usually provides a bundle of energy and never stops skating. Hits and possesses a strong work rate that's highlighted by excellent athleticism. Has defensive savvy and some scoring acumen. Packs a sneaky swift shot and uses good quickness and positioning in the offensive zone. Sticks his nose in everybody's business.

Flaws: Lacks the creativity and touch required to play a prominent scoring role at the National Hockey League level. Surprisingly strong, he would benefit by continuing to add some more bulk to his 6-2 frame. Lacks some consistency, especially in the offensive zone. Can take bad penalties from time to time.

Career Potential:
Solid, physical complementary winger.
Simmonds had a few years with goals scored: 9, 16, 14 then he had his breakout in year 4 with the Flyers.

So I'm not concerned with Virtanen only in his 3rd month in the NHL. :scowl:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

What I have been saying for a year hasn't changed any.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Saunter recalled. Perhaps the news on Tanev not good?
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:Saunter recalled. Perhaps the news on Tanev not good?
The Canucks will soon become the Comets...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Saunter eh....why am I visualizing someone who saunters in then right back out of the line up?
If you need air...call it in
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

Give Virtanen and the young guys some time to learn. Very few players step into the NHL and dominate from day one. Most good players improve in stages. I look at Baertchi as an example of this. He started by focusing on his defense and starting to feel comfortable there, building his confidence. Once that happens the offense starts to come. As far as players getting called up and not playing, this is a part of the learning process. Just being around the veterans and seeing what it takes to play at this level is very important. I like what the Canucks are doing with the development process. It is hard to have patience but this is how a dynasty is built.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Saunter eh....why am I visualizing someone who saunters in then right back out of the line up?
You mean saunters into the press box? This is probably good news for Pedan. I'd love to see more of him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Some of it is looking at who Jake plays with.

He's been playing with grinders for the most part in Vancouver, guys that, most of the time, don't have the ability to get him the puck when he's in a scoring area. I don't like that he hangs back a bit from battles, but some of that I think is that he's looking to be Dustin Brown and time it right so he can coast in late and hammer the bad guy if/when he comes out of the scrum with the puck. Definitely needs to be more of a net presence, but again, what good is that when your linemates just skate around the perimeter and don't ever get the puck to the net.

Team Canada looked brutal in that first game against the USA. Nobody on the same page, nobody willing to pull the trigger, sloppy reads, skating into each other in the offensive zone, passing was brutal.....so many times they passed at the wrong time and the pass didn't create any room for the receiving player, especially on the PP. Also a total lack of team trust. Multiple times instead of trusting/waiting for their teammate to win the battle down low and get the puck around the boards, the winger would leave the half-boards and go to assist arriving just in time to run into his linemate as he won the battle and could have moved the puck quickly up to the open wing. I don't see why we're hung up on Virtanen's game here after one piss-poor showing by the entire team in the tournament opener.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I wouldn't be opposed to him being "Draisaitl'd" at the end of the tourney.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hands down the most unimaginitive defence group team Canada has ever had. None of them have quality NHL potential
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to him being "Draisaitl'd" at the end of the tourney.
I think it has more to do with the Canucks not having any confidence in how the Calgary Hitmen were handling Jake
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm not completely down on Jake. He just needs some (a lot) video tape sessions on his play away from the puck. It is concerning that there hasn't been any improvement in that part of his game which hopefully doesn't have to do with his lack of hockey IQ. Hope not, otherwise it's Booth/Kassian all over again