Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by herb »

Yeah, by all accounts Hodgson is playing himself out of the league in a big hurry. Seems like Ted Nolan has effectively given up on Hodgson as a NHL center. This is the 3rd NHL coach now...you'd think the OHL superstar would take note.

Hodgson should have listened to reputable NHL coach Alain Vigneault when he tried to bring Hodgson along slowly while developing his defensive game. Instead, Cody wanted out of Vancouver and to be given a chance somewhere else. Well, he got that chance, and has managed to torpedo his NHL career.

Oh well. I guess getting a $25M contract for being terrible at your job isn't the worst place in the world for Hodgson to be...Too bad for Pegula he still owes Cody $17M after this season.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Eh oib....cotten hill will never be top 6 no matter how long he is on this oif ...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I don't think the argument that Kassian is on the bottom six or is playing with players who aren't as talented washes well in Willie D's system. Matthias is a great example. The guy did not start well, and now he looks like he's playing the right way, driving to the net, busting his ass, and he's not on the top 2 lines. Matthias is noticeable in a way Kass is not. You look at the ice time, you see WD metes it out more evenly than any recent Canuck coach, and if Kassian was really giving it he'd be getting more minutes. Don't get me wrong, I want Kassian to be great, and I love his skill set. But he's now on his 3rd coach and the common refrain is he is not getting the chance to play with the right guys, but what seems to be the case is three very different coaches don't see him earning it, way too inconsistent. I hope he becomes that power forward we all want him to be, that would be great for the club, but I'm just not seeing it. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jensen can do now in his second call up this season.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote:With too many forwards in the lineup, unless something crazy happens and Horvat is literally carrying the team, if Kassian gets back a bit earlier than expected, Bo should absolutely go to the WJC. It would give him the experience, while also keeping Vey in the regular rotation rather than sitting there watching and not getting any game time.
That makes sense from the perspective of maximizing ice time for rookies (Horvat and Vey), but I'd rather not see Bo go to WJC.

IMO the "experience" of playing against teenagers for a couple of weeks is pretty minimal compared to playing against men in the NHL. I think 10 minutes a night in NHL is more valuable than 18 minutes a night against juniors.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Canucks won't lend Bo if it weakens their chance to win. Points here are more valuable to the club then getting Bo into another Worlds. Being a first year NHL and playing for a team with the worst travel record do they really need to get him playing more games?

He goes to the Worlds if all things are equal and we are healthy. If he,Vey, Kassian, Sestito are seen as interchangeable then they could afford to let him go. But if his value to the club has risen past those players, he stays.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jensen recalled. The Kassian replacement for this road trip.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jensen's had a good stretch, with 2 goals and 3 assists in his last four games, and deserves the recall.

15gGP, 6G and 5A. Good for 11 points in 15 games. Slightly more than half his point total for all of last season.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: Oh well. I guess getting a $25M contract for being terrible at your job isn't the worst place in the world for Hodgson to be...Too bad for Pegula he still owes Cody $17M after this season.
Hmmm a Hodgson buyout this summer would cost $6.3M spread over 8 years

.... could it happen?? :wow:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:
herb wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:This will give both Vey and Horvat time to play every game.
Yup probably for a month or so, which virtually guarantees Horvat won't be going to the World Juniors unless his play falls off a cliff.

.......or, Kassian returns and rather than bench Vey or Horvat the team sends Horvat to the Worlds thus getting Kassian back in the line up.
I think if Kassian needs Horvat to be sent to the WJC just to get back into the lineup they may as well waive the guy. If he is really this shitty and stupid as several people here and a few dozen retards at Hfboards think he is then why not get rid of such a useless piece of shit ?

The guy is already 23 has played 5 minutes of power play time this year and has played 12 minutes a game with stud linemates and has only five points. He is pulling down massive coin for this year and next - ship his ass out , maybe they can get a 7th round pick in 2016. Not in 2015 because its a way deeper draft and a scrub like Kassian can barely play in the league. I would rather have a smaller, more meek type of player in his place.

Horvat is 19 and he has it all figured out already. Kassian is 23 and is a complete meat puppet or was it a lunkhead. The team has way too much size up front anyways. They have to be one of if not the biggest squad in the NHL.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Why quote me for that rant. I'm a big Kassian supporter.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Beers McKenzie. Your lofty expectations of Kassian are making you angry.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So Linden, Benning and Gilman were at the Comets last game against the baby flames.

Scouting out the comets to see first hand what we have. Wonder if they are looking to make a move or if this is just the new way of doing business. I guess with the eastern road trip why not.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Blue Jackets are ripe for the taking. They need goaltending, send them Lack and Jensen and Kassian for Murray?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

If Jensen can get into the lineup, he should be given the same opportunities Vey and Kass have seen. ie. 10-12 minutes with spot duty on the PP.

To date, neither Kas nor Vey have met even modest expectations. This could be an opportunity for Jensen to force the coaching staff to make some tough decisions once Zack returns