Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

I know for me it's coming to terms with the emotional understanding of what's going on. I came to terms with it intellectually a while ago but the impact now is emotional. It's one thing to say, to know, that you want a tear down, a rebuild, a retool and to move on. But as it is happening there is still disbelief and that emotional fanaticism that has me screaming inside, "but our players are worth more, why can't we trade for Lucic, Hamilton, E Kane, whoever."

Benning was never going to get the team he inherited to do more than they did last year. They got 101 points and got bitch slapped by the Flames. And I think it was the way we lost that impacted me the most with an emotional understanding. But it sucks. It's hard to accept that we are going to be bad for a few years yet before we see a major turn around. So I'd rather they ripped the bandage off now, enough of the slow tear.

As a side note, all four of our goalies have expiring contracts in two years. Yikes.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Linden squats to piss

And your point is?
Riding bicycles is dangerous for your junk.
Not yet. It's a joke, man. Ya know, Linden being big into riding bicycles these days...

*LOL* :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Just replace "Barnes" with "Benning" and "'65" with "11".
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Southern_Canuck wrote:When Blob, after making a derogatory reference to "the urine crew" in every post since 2013 becomes their leader - I think we can all agree that we have moved into a new era of the Canucks.

S_C
Lol look at SC firing the zingers . Guilty as charged today . I have pissed and puked all over Iggy for his ghastly moves . I've been up his ass for a few weeks . However I am still a few hundred posts short of one of the old urine champions of days gone by . There was a mod back at the other cc who bitched for two seasons about Eye Bags giving up on the gifted Michael Grabner .

You sound like a Bill Cosby fan SC . Fuck I Am getting torched left and right today. Into the crown now .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:I know for me it's coming to terms with the emotional understanding of what's going on. I came to terms with it intellectually a while ago but the impact now is emotional. It's one thing to say, to know, that you want a tear down, a rebuild, a retool and to move on. But as it is happening there is still disbelief and that emotional fanaticism that has me screaming inside, "but our players are worth more, why can't we trade for Lucic, Hamilton, E Kane, whoever."
Why be emotional?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Linden/Benning

Post by lostinarink »

So I wonder if we are starting to get an understanding of the Linden / Benning MO

If we look at the draft picks and trades, it seems to me that character is #1. To be considered for the Canucks you must demonstrate:
- Commitment and drive to be an elite athlete on and off the ice
- Commitment to team
- Leadership
- Willingness to overcome adversity
- Commitment to both offensive and defensive play (or at least willingness to try and to improve)
- Want to be here
No lazy bums welcome.
Reclamation projects not wanted - those needing change a scenery, maybe, but the must show the above.
Character is KEY. If you don't have it goodbye - if you do have it he is willing to pay extra to get you and to keep you. He will reward character with generous paycheque, but only as long as you continue to meet the requirements below. To offset that generous paycheque, you will be disposable - no NMCs wanted.

Once the player meets the above standards, then Benning will start assessing skills vs team needs. Ideally they need speed, size, skill, truculence, hockey IQ, veteran leadership etc. Benning knows he wont find these in all in one player, but he is willing to mix and match. For example he is willing to forgive IQ to get some speed, size and truculence (ie Sbisa). Maybe your D is not the best, but you put the effort in while bringing another valuable trait (ie Weber/Vey and offensive skill).
He is trying not to unnecessarily duplicate skill sets (ie good bye Lack - Marky is younger and may have higher upside; goodbye McNally - your too much like what we already have in prospects and your commitment is to education first, not team). They do not want to hinder long term team growth where movement can take place without significant downside risk (bye KB3, Matthias, Richardson, McMillan, Garrison, Stanton - the young guns are able to grow and replicate what you bring). If you want out - get out (Kelser). If you aren't going to meet the character standards set, we don't care what your potential is cause you will never find it, so don't let the door hit you on the way out (Kassian).

It looks like they have their mix on D sorted out. There remains some issues in the O though. Assuming that Sven makes the team, they still have youngsters pushing for a seat in first class. Benning must be asking himself:
"Where are the spaces for Cassels, Gaunce, Virtanen, Shrinkaruk, McCann, Jensen, Broeser, Grenier? Obviously, not all will make it in 15/16, but will Virtanen bring enough to replace Hansen? Will Cassels or Gaunce be strong enough to have a ripple effect on Bonino? Or will Benning ride things out to TDL and use injury to give the prospects their chance? If Shrink starts scoring, can they part with Vrbata/Burrows/Higgins? Who can we afford to park and develop in the AHL without risk of waivers?" These are the questions that Benning will start addressing with the next round of movement (now if the deal is right but likely TDL).
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Gilman, Henning, Crawford out...yowza, after a year, Linden/Benning cleaning house. I don't necessarily have a problem with it, we'll see how it washes out. They must have in mind some new management blood...

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I wonder if we are still entitled to some draft picks if any of them are signed by another team?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

TDA Rum wrote:I wonder if we are still entitled to some draft picks if any of them are signed by another team?
With the current rate, the Canucks might actually give out a second rounder for any of them to sign with another team. :evil:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

well, what is left of the Gillis regime seemingly is no longer welcome, getting rid of the bad mojo. Good call!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Countdown to Weisbrod promotion...
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Came in expecting Delorme. Leaving disappointed.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Linden on Team 1040 says he is not sure if they are entitled to draft picks if someone signs Gilman or Henning
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A year of transition, draft and Free agency done, leave your hard drives at the receptionists desk on your way out.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

TDA Rum wrote:I wonder if we are still entitled to some draft picks if any of them are signed by another team?

NHL modified that rule. Teams can not collect picks from personnel they already dismissed.
The only HW the Canucks need