Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ClamRussel »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's not about being snake bitten, it's about the other parts of the game that the average fan cares to give credit for like defence, puck battles, 200 ft game. The one common complaint I keep hearing about Shinkaruk is that puck possession ends on his stick as he is constantly taking low percentage chances to score, forcing the play that isn't there. He apparently isn't very patient but his biggest issue is puck battles, he's not strong at all. The pro game is tough on Hunter. He's either gonna sink or swim. If he swims he's gonna have to be real good offensively because those other parts of hockey that matter, he sucks at
His biggest problem is strength, no question. The nice thing about that is correcting it takes nothing but hard work. He should improve greatly with a full offseason of training in that area.

His other problem is he likes to try junior moves - ie takes too long to pass, over handles the puck, etc - he's learning that can't happen in the pro game.

I'm not saying he will definitely make it, just that he has the talent to and now needs to work at it. There are tons of examples of guys who took 2-3 years in the AHL before making it full time in the NHL, and Shinkaruk will likely be one. His speed, shiftiness and skill level are all pro calibre.

Lots of other good prospects on the farm as well - Pedan is playing really well, Gaunce has been a bit slow the past 4 or 5 games but he thinks the game very well and will likely make it as a bottom 6 guy, Baertschi has a ton of offensive skill. McCann has been very good this year, he's really the straw that stirs the drink in the Soo. Virtanen I haven't seen as much but ilove his skills and overall game, just needs to hone it and play better two ways. Hutton and Subban is signed both have solid potential.

Will be another good prospect added this year, maybe a couple if Benning can recoup some picks. I don't see any superstars but Boston and LA really don't have that superstar up front and they've done just fine.
This is precisely why Shinkaruk should have gone back to junior. He missed most of last year & really could have used a year to strengthen up while playing LOTS and building confidence. I don't imagine he's too confident right now. He would have been better prepared for the A next year. He's still a solid prospect, I'm not worried - it will come. I've seen Virtanen this year & he will be a monster for us, no doubt. Another year of junior wouldn't hurt and he will be in tough to make the jump next year w/ limited roster spots & the Baertschi trade.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Shinkaruk will be fine, only a coach can ruin a players' confidence.....unless your name is Kassian.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

A coach can also inspire confidence... but it won't make you a better player, right Linden Vey?

The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hank wrote:A coach can also inspire confidence... but it won't make you a better player, right Linden Vey?

He's no Aaron Rome, but I like the fact the coach is allowed to bring his son into work with him.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's not about being snake bitten, it's about the other parts of the game that the average fan cares to give credit for like defence, puck battles, 200 ft game. The one common complaint I keep hearing about Shinkaruk is that puck possession ends on his stick as he is constantly taking low percentage chances to score, forcing the play that isn't there.
His biggest problem is strength, no question. The nice thing about that is correcting it takes nothing but hard work. He should improve greatly with a full offseason of training in that area.

His other problem is he likes to try junior moves - ie takes too long to pass, over handles the puck, etc - he's learning that can't happen in the pro game.

I'm not saying he will definitely make it, just that he has the talent to and now needs to work at it. There are tons of examples of guys who took 2-3 years in the AHL before making it full time in the NHL, and Shinkaruk will likely be one. His speed, shiftiness and skill level are all pro calibre.
Yup hell even Baertschi is still developing at 22 years of age, Shinkaruk is still only 20, so a couple years getting stronger and losing the junior moves will go a long way in helping Shink making it to the pro's.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I wonder if we can get the younger Pedan, have them anchor or defence. If nothing else they can hit and fight :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/QBVjaiAUjE0
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Markstrom sent to Utica, in comes the rookie Eriksson!

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=757946
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Markstrom sent to Utica, in comes the rookie Eriksson!

You would think this means a couple of things.

First, Markstrom needs the work and he will get that playing every game in Utica.

Second, they plan to run with Lack until Miller is back.

Good move. If you are not comfortable playing him n Vancouver let him go back to Utica. We may get to see Eriksson, who knows. I was hoping Markstrom would get the leaves game but I guess not.

Also, when Richardson, Bieksa and Higgins are back we will need to send more bodies down.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:

First, Markstrom needs the work and he will get that playing every game in Utica.

Good move. If you are not comfortable playing him n Vancouver let him go back to Utica. We may get to see Eriksson, who knows. I was hoping Markstrom would get the leaves game but I guess not.

Also, when Richardson, Bieksa and Higgins are back we will need to send more bodies down.
Clendening and Vey should be heading to Utica.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Clendening and Vey should be heading to Utica.
Vey can't play in the playoffs for Utica, he wasn't waived before the TDD. But McMillon and Kenins were so it will be those two up front that get sent down and Corrado on D.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Not a chance Vey gets waived after what Benning gave up for him last summer. He's definitely deserving, though.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I would try and get a 3rd for Vey in June . Hopefully they can get one for Jensen as well . Those moves along with a pick for one of Higgy/Burrows/Hansen helps to re stock the system .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I would try and get a 3rd for Vey in June . Hopefully they can get one for Jensen as well . Those moves along with a pick for one of Higgy/Burrows/Hansen helps to re stock the system .

Don't forget one of Lack or Markstrom will probably go. Do we have a few players we can swing for picks, if not this year then in next year's draft. If we could trade Jensen for a 2nd much the way LA flipped Vey to us thst would be nice. We just have too many players that need to clear waivers and not enough room on the big club, yet. I suppose if we don't re-sign Matthias, Richardson and Dorsett we have room for Sven, Jensen and Vey :wow:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

"The Vancouver Canucks have bolstered their prospect system, signing Edmonton Oil Kings captain Ashton Sautner to an entry level contract.

Sautner is in the middle of a career season with the Oil Kings and was a big part of their Memorial Cup run last season."

"20-year-old LHD has 48 points (12-36-48) in 68 GP this season. Listed at 6'1" & 193 lbs."

WHL blueliner!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That's a lot of 20 year olds in the system, a far cry from where we were not that long ago. Gotta hope 1-2 of em work out.