Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by rats19 »

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/nhlpostseasonprob.html

99% chance of making playoffs
56% chance to make round 2
25% chance of conference champs
10% chance of making finals
4% chance at the grail.

"So we have a chance? "
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rats19 wrote:http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/nhlpostseasonprob.html

99% chance of making playoffs
56% chance to make round 2
25% chance of conference champs
10% chance of making finals
4% chance at the grail.

"So we have a chance? "
In for an ounce in for a pound.

Maybe we get some ref love if we are a Cinderella team?

It all hinges on the net minder, if either can get hot.

I believe they have enough for the forwards and D.

Time to bleed blue.....
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Reefer2 wrote:In for an ounce in for a pound.
I know they call you Reefer, but wow :wow:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:In for an ounce in for a pound.
I know they call you Reefer, but wow :wow:
Remember the days of 2 for 25...shit used to cost more
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Love this feature NHL puts out every day.

Playoff Clinching Scenarios
http://www.nhl.com/ice/newsindex.htm?lo ... w=headline

Playoff clinching scenarios for Tuesday, April 7

The Vancouver Canucks (idle) would clinch a playoff berth if any of the following occurs:

the Kings lose in regulation;

the Kings lose in overtime or a shootout AND the Flames lose in regulation;

the Kings lose in overtime or a shootout AND the Flames fail to win in regulation or overtime AND the Jets lose in regulation; or

both the Flames and the Jets lose in regulation.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761852
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Wow...

Dorsett, 4-year deal with aav of $2.65m (according to Bob McKenzie)
Sbisa, 3-year deal with aav of $3.6m (according to Dan Murphy, no trade protection, assuming no "no trade clause")

Dorsett & Sbisa signed to multi-year contracts

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=762157
Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed forward Derek Dorsett to a four-year contract and defenceman Luca Sbisa to three-year contract.

“Derek has been an incredibly valuable member of the Canucks roster, both on and off the ice this year,” said Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning. “His willingness to chip in both offensively and defensively while standing up for his teammates at all times has been instrumental to our success all season.”

“Luca has been a big part of our backend all season, logging big minutes during key stretches and doing anything that is asked of him by our coaching staff,” continued Benning. “We are excited to have both Derek and Luca in the fold moving forward to continue our goal of winning today, while also having an eye to the future.”

Dorsett, 28, appeared in his first season with the Canucks this year registering single-season career-highs in both points (25) and assists (18). The 6’0”, 187 pound forward currently leads the team in hits (163) and his team-leading 169 penalty minutes rank fourth in the League. In 408 career NHL games, split between the Canucks, Rangers, and Blue Jackets, Dorsett has notched 98 points (38-60-98) and 1,024 penalty minutes. Dorsett appeared in 23 NHL playoff games with the Rangers last season, registering one assist (0-1-1) and 19 penalty minutes.

The Kindersley, Saskatchewan native was acquired from the Rangers on June 27, 2014 in exchange for the 85th selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He was originally selected 189th overall by Columbus in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Sbisa, 25, participated in his first season with the Canucks this year recording 11 points (3-8-11) and 46 penalty minutes. He currently ranks second on the team in both hits with 149 and blocked shots with 127. In 340 career NHL games, split with the Canucks, Ducks, and Flyers, Sbisa has scored 12 goals, 55 assists (12-55-67) and logged 263 penalty minutes.

The Canucks acquired Sbisa from Anaheim on June 27, 2014 along with Nick Bonino and the 24th and 85th selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Ryan Kesler and a third round pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. The 6’2” 209-pound native of Ozieri, Italy was selected 19th overall by Philadelphia in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:Wow...

Dorsett, 4-year deal with aav of $2.65m (according to Bob McKenzie)
Sbisa, 3-year deal with aav of $3.6m (according to Dan Murphy, no trade protection, assuming no "no trade clause")
I like that we're keeping Dorsett, and to be honest it's not terrible, I'd say $650-$750K high, but if he continues to play like this for 4 years then it's worth it.

Sbisa had better improve in a BIG way to earn that deal.

One of Higgins and Burrows is definitely gone. I can't see Higgins staying unless he really steps it up in the playoffs.

I also can't see Matthias not being re-signed now.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Dorsett for $2.65M...OK, we probably paid the going UFA rate. No "hometown discount" there. I'm OK with paying quality players like Dorsett who hit, get punched in the face, stand up for teammates and can play a regular shift. Not a great contract, but manageable.

$3.6M for Sbisa for three fucking years is terrible. Just awful. For a shitty RFA who is undoubtedly one of the worst regular defenseman in the NHL? Are you shitting me? is this April fool's? Why three years? Was the guy somehow at risk of walking?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:Dorsett for $2.65M...OK, we probably paid the going UFA rate. No "hometown discount" there. I'm OK with paying quality players like Dorsett who hit, get punched in the face, stand up for teammates and can play a regular shift. Not a great contract, but manageable.

$3.6M for Sbisa for three fucking years is terrible. Just awful. For a shitty RFA who is undoubtedly one of the worst regular defenseman in the NHL? Are you shitting me? is this April fool's? Why three years? Was the guy somehow at risk of walking?
Fourth-liners like Dorsett fall off fast and they fall off often. Four years at that cap hit is insane and it runs up the price of every forward the Canucks want to re-sign.

The Sbisa contract.... holy fuck man, the guy is a bottom-pairing D on any team. Just brutal. He's almost getting Tanev money.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:
herb wrote:Dorsett for $2.65M...OK, we probably paid the going UFA rate. No "hometown discount" there. I'm OK with paying quality players like Dorsett who hit, get punched in the face, stand up for teammates and can play a regular shift. Not a great contract, but manageable.

Fourth-liners like Dorsett fall off fast and they fall off often. Four years at that cap hit is insane and it runs up the price of every forward the Canucks want to re-sign.

The Sbisa contract.... holy fuck man, the guy is a bottom-pairing D on any team. Just brutal. He's almost getting Tanev money.
One bad fight against one of these huge guys Dorsett shouldn't really be fighting, and Dorsett's not the same player. Age related decline can come fast, especially in overly physical guys. At this point and in this organization, the 4th line should be a place for youngsters to cut their teeth, not for overpaid veterans who are projecting in the wrong direction.

Sbisa sucks. He is one of the worst players in the NHL. I don't even know how you begin to describe how bad that contract looks.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yup, we'd be laughing our asses off if the Flames or leaves made these deals today. I'm sure people will try to defend these signings but they are just fucking terrible.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

This is almost Dave Nonis in Leafland bad.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Some latest Canucks news
Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
Markstrom has been sent to Utica, Miller will back-up tonight.

Jim Jamieson ‏@JamiesonCanucks
#Canucks coach Desjardins confirms that Ryan Miller now cleared to play, will back up Lack vs Coyotes tonight. Markstrom to AHL.

Jon Abbott ‏@HockeyAbbs
First Kassian sighting in a while..out to greet Miller, as Ryan hit the ice ahead of pre-game. 9 was in workout gear #Canucks #TSN1040

Jim Jamieson ‏@JamiesonCanucks
#Canucks Matthias will take the game off tonight for "maintenance". Baertschi likely takes his spot with Vey, Dorsett.

Elliott Pap ‏@ElliottPap
Brad Richardson (ankle) on ice prior to morning skate with physio Rick Celebrini. Jacob Markstrom apparerntly on way to Utica. #canucks
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Good news for Utica to get Markstrom back. A strong playoffs for Utica will be valuable experience for the kids. :mrgreen:

Oh, and good news Miller had been cleared to play. It will be interesting to see how he does on Saturday. Let's hope Lack can take care of business tonight.

Matthias with a maintenance day. Is it possible he has been playing hurt which may explain his lack of physical play? I mean he just hasn't been physical for several weeks now.

Kassian's and Richardson, boy I hope they are both good to go come the playoffs.

Good to see Bart get some action. Hope he scores a couple tonight..

Why am I doing this here? Because no one had started a GDT and they seem to lose more often than not when I do! So go start a thread will ya, someone, anyone!
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

For some reason....analysts and commentators think sbisa is actually pretty good..one last week went far enough to say he is the canucks..unsung hero...this year.

People seem to believe differently that most of us do....maybe the diamond is still being cut but he has played 250 games or whatever...

I am not crazy about the price of the contract but I am not going insane over it either....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….