Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
JonT21 wrote: Thank god there is at least one positive post in this whole god damn website
The reality is the team had such a colossal failure of an opening round playoff that viewing anything about the team other than changes almost feels like acceptance of being swept in round 1.

On top of this, the team had an almost equally as bad playoff the year before...

2 straight years of watching your team suck ass like no other kinda wears on you....and dont hand me that crap about making the playoffs being any sort of accomplishment. It's not.

Unless you live in Alberta :eh:
Or Toronto.....
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Leverage?? I just hope that Tanev is not receiving ill advices from his agent, like some other ex-Canucks... :mrgreen:
Jim Jamieson ‏@JamiesonCanucks
#Canucks RFA d-man Chris Tanev has received interest from the KHL and the Swiss elite league, according to his agent.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:Leverage?? I just hope that Tanev is not receiving ill advices from his agent, like some other ex-Canucks... :mrgreen:
Jim Jamieson ‏@JamiesonCanucks
#Canucks RFA d-man Chris Tanev has received interest from the KHL and the Swiss elite league, according to his agent.
I can't see him going to play in the KHL over money alone. He knows as well as anyone that this is a crunch year for almost every team. The NHL is still the best league in the world. If the issue is term, then Gillis should either make a big splash and move him, or just sign him for less (term and salary). If the issue is salary then it had better be a difference of $1M or more because I can't see Tanev heading overseas to play in a lesser league.

But maybe money talks to this kid.

Tanev + Edler + 1st for Pietrangelo!!!! :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bottom line, this team is a good regular season team but the real season - the playoffs, their game doesn't translate well from regular season to playoffs.

I don't expect anything different come the playoffs this coming season if this core group remains the same.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canucks looking at huge D-man Douglas Murray

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/08/13 ... um=twitter
The Canucks have been kicking the tires on huge free agent defenceman Douglas Murray, his agent confirmed on Tuesday morning.

“We’ve talked to them off and on all summer,” said player agent Anton Thun. “At this point we’re not close to signing. There are a group of clubs that have interest, so it comes down to the right circumstances and the right dollars. At this point in time there’s a gridlock in terms of cap space and money availability with a number of clubs. Until some of that shakes out and the dominoes start to fall, I think the market is going to be tight. Whenever that starts to shake out, we’ll react accordingly as to what might be the right place.”

The Canucks have just six defencemen signed to NHL contracts next season – two under the usual number – and two of those are fringer Yannick Weber and rookie Frank Corrado. Even if they get a deal done for restricted free agent Chris Tanev, that leaves the blueline numbers one short. Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman has acknowledged the team is looking to add a D-man with NHL experience.

Gilman said Murray is just one in a group of defencemen the team is considering.

“We are looking to add another NHL calibre defenceman to our group and have had discussions with numerous agents regarding various players currently available in the market,” Gilman said in a text message.

Murray, 33, is nothing if not imposing. He’s listed at 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds, but that seems light to anyone who’s stood next to the native of Bromma, Sweden.

His strengths are positional play, penalty kill, shot-blocking, making it unpleasant for opposing players to hang out near his goaltender’s crease and standing up for teammates when necessary.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

His strengths are positional play, penalty kill, shot-blocking, making it unpleasant for opposing players to hang out near his goaltender’s crease and standing up for teammates when necessary.
just felt that needs repeating....
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Murray would look great, but given the lack of cap room, I"m sure the Canucks hope to get him at a bargain price. Similar to the $1 million contract they gave to Torres a couple years ago.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So between Murray, Fistric and Alberts, who would be the best fit?

Murray brings ridiculous size and can add a much-needed intimidation factor, but he's a pylon.

Fistric is the best hitter of the group, something we also sorely need, but again he gets burned more often than Mëds in a spelling bee.

Alberts might actually be the best option of the three... he's got a combination of all the factors listed above, he's probably more affordable, and he really improved his gap control last season. That said, Alberts is the same ole same ole, and as fans we tend to get more excited about new blood.

You know it's been a boring fucking summer when our biggest personnel decision involves a #6 D-man. :lol:

I blame Obama.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:So between Murray, Fistric and Alberts, who would be the best fit?

Murray brings ridiculous size and can add a much-needed intimidation factor, but he's a pylon.

Fistric is the best hitter of the group, something we also sorely need, but again he gets burned more often than Mëds in a spelling bee.

Alberts might actually be the best option of the three... he's got a combination of all the factors listed above, he's probably more affordable, and he really improved his gap control last season. That said, Alberts is the same ole same ole, and as fans we tend to get more excited about new blood.

You know it's been a boring fucking summer when our biggest personnel decision involves a #6 D-man. :lol:

I blame Obama.
Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Jovocop wrote: Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.
Murray was a top-4 d, and prior to last year was logging major ES and PK minutes, but zero PP minutes, which put him at #4 on the Sharks. Last year his icetime fell back, but he was still the top PK defenseman. Following his trade, his ES and PK icetime got bumped up.

Murray averaged about 5 minutes more ES time per game than Alberts, and 2 minutes more PK time per game. That is substantial, and having a #5 dman like Murray who can eat up ES and PK minutes, freeing up guys like Bieksa and Edler (and Hamhuis for that matter) to get more PP time could be great. That is definitely something Alberts can't provide, and I doubt if Fistric could either.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

What's suppose luongo takes care of Murray's steak bill on the road...
(If in fact we could land the big man.)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ESQ wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.
Murray was a top-4 d, and prior to last year was logging major ES and PK minutes, but zero PP minutes, which put him at #4 on the Sharks. Last year his icetime fell back, but he was still the top PK defenseman. Following his trade, his ES and PK icetime got bumped up.

Murray averaged about 5 minutes more ES time per game than Alberts, and 2 minutes more PK time per game. That is substantial, and having a #5 dman like Murray who can eat up ES and PK minutes, freeing up guys like Bieksa and Edler (and Hamhuis for that matter) to get more PP time could be great. That is definitely something Alberts can't provide, and I doubt if Fistric could either.
I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Jovocop wrote:I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.
I like Murray but a 3 year deal doesn't feel right. He's 33 and slow, and he aint' getting any quicker.

2 yrs at $2mill per? Now we're talking! :D
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

$lacker wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.
I like Murray but a 3 year deal doesn't feel right. He's 33 and slow, and he aint' getting any quicker.

2 yrs at $2mill per? Now we're talking! :D
I got a feeling that Murray is looking for term more than money. Perhaps something like 3-yrs $7m would do (2.5, 2.5, & 2). If the salary cap keeps going up in the next two seasons, the $2m would be a bargain for a 6th or 7th D-man in 2015. ;)
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

You also want a very limited NTC. I'm sure he will want one so you limit it. If the team tanks he becomes a tradable commodity, not for much but a 2nd perhaps.
The only HW the Canucks need