Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Topper »

Bieksa, Burrows and Kesler benefited from a year in the AHL because of the lockout.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Pedan reassigned to Utica, Kenins recalled.

Higgins out week to week with post concussion symptoms.

Sutter under went surgery for sports hernia, out 4-6 weeks.

Virtanen hip pointer, still being evaluated. If minor could be one week but likely looking at 4-6 weeks minimum. Safe to say the World's a long shot now.

Tanev being evaluated. Reinjured hand. Currently day to day.

Hutton day to day.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Pedan reassigned to Utica, Kenins recalled.

Virtanen hip pointer, still being evaluated. If minor could be one week but likely looking at 4-6 weeks minimum. Safe to say the World's a long shot now.

Hutton day to day.
If I was Benning I would look at this run of injuries and use it as the excuse to sell management on saying screw it for this season. He was just gift wrapped 5 injuries to regular players at a time when fans are screaming "blow it up", and he knows full well that that is what needs to happen here. The window just opened Jim, you can tank for a lottery pick in a good draft year.

Blow it up and load up on picks and prospects.

Keepers...

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter-McCann-Horvat-Virtanen. Plus one of Hansen or Burrows.

Tanev-Hutton

Markstrom-Demko

If Winnipeg can't get something done with Byfuglien we do have a couple of pieces that might interest them. Otherwise go hard after him in free agency if possible (Edmonton should be banging down the door there though if Chiarelli has half a brain).

Add Lucic into that list of UFA's.

Next year you could have...

Sedin - Sedin - ______
Lucic - McCann - ______
Virtanen - Horvat - Sutter
Gaunce - ______ - Burrows/Hansen

______ - Byfuglien
Hutton - Tanev
______ - ______

______
Markstrom
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hutton day to day.
Linden fired long time Canuck trainer, Mike Burnstein because of the rash of injuries the team was suffering.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Topper wrote:

Hutton day to day.
Linden fired long time Canuck trainer, Mike Burnstein because of the rash of injuries the team was suffering.

Too bad Linden cannot fire Bettman and his crews. The NHL Department of Safety is just a pure joke. Clean hit or not, Ritchie hit Higgins high and caused him a concussion. Getzlaf is such a MF with a crosscheck to Virtanen. A chirp by Burrows is almost an automatic suspension whereas others can get away with cheap shots that injure players...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: Too bad Linden cannot fire Bettman and his crews. The NHL Department of Safety is just a pure joke. Clean hit or not, Ritchie hit Higgins high and caused him a concussion. Getzlaf is such a MF with a crosscheck to Virtanen. A chirp by Burrows is almost an automatic suspension whereas others can get away with cheap shots that injure players...
It's always been a kangaroo court.

Less frustrating when you have a teamful of assholes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Too bad Linden cannot fire Bettman and his crews. The NHL Department of Safety is just a pure joke. Clean hit or not, Ritchie hit Higgins high and caused him a concussion. Getzlaf is such a MF with a crosscheck to Virtanen. A chirp by Burrows is almost an automatic suspension whereas others can get away with cheap shots that injure players...
It's always been a kangaroo court.

Less frustrating when you have a teamful of assholes.
I'd settle for just a couple assholes. Prust, with his staged fights, is going through the motions. He hits less than Hamhuis FFS.

A guy like Tom Wilson would be great.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning today on TSN 1040

Upset at the play n the Anaheim game, believes it is the worst game team has played since he has been here. Not satisfied with how we're are not sticking up for each other and just rolled over in that game.

Asked if he felt Prust and Dorsett have done the job of creating a safe working environment for the kids. Says well, so, ya, like they've played great. It's not just so, yes, like, up to just so, two guys. It's has to be the whole team.

Kenins recalled 1) to provide energy and physicality to the forecheckers. 2) he had great chemistry with Bo last year and wants to see if they can redevelop that.

He was asked specifically about whether he has interest in players like Duchene, Johansen, Harmonic, all of whom have trade rumours surrounding them. He, without getting into specific names due to tampering I assume, said he has been in on all those talks. The problem is that the demands would deplete our future core and we are neither deep enough nor at a point in our development where spending the required assets for one piece makes sense. So no 3-1 deals on his watch, at least not now.

Is looking at the market to see if he can find a short term solution to the Sutter injury. Don't like the sounds of that, other than he said nothing that makes sense.

Was asked if he is trying to upgrade defence, and in the least does he agree and recognize that our D needs work. Says he is very pleased with Sbisa and that Sbisa has stepped up and is becoming the type of player they thought he could be. Also singled out Bartkowski as having strong skill set and pleased with him. Then he quickly changed the topic to needing secondary scoring more than needing to worry about defence. And he added, every team in the NHL is looking to upgrade defence so with supply low and demand high, the price doesn't make sense. Sounds to me like a perfect time to trade Hamhuis and Edler then!!

Talked about the need to get scoring from more than the twins. That's the dilemma they are trying to resolve. Gaunce not recalled as he is injured. Likes the idea that if they loan either or or both Virtanen and McCann to team canada that they get a free 3 week look at some players in Utica. Free in that the cap comes off the books for 3 weeks and the roster spots open up. But won't decide until Dec 18-19. Team needs will come first.

Of surprise is he may not go to Finland to take in the world's and he usually does. Says he has to see where the team is at. Sounds like he isn't sure if he will be busy with team business??

Team is unsure why we suck 3-3. He didn't say suck, I did. Says it is a mindset thing that is confusing. Don't know the answer right now but is concerned about losing all those points as it may be the difference between making the playoffs or not. Yes the goal is still to make the playoffs. He is not in sell mode, made that clear. Still need a core of veterans to support the kids.

Got the feeling that he wants to make some deals but that he is still stuck on he fence about transition and what that means. On one hand he says he wants the kids to play but on the other is looking for a short term gap measure to cover for Sutter. Wants to increase skill level and secondary scoring but doesn't want to part with 2-3 assets to do so. Talks about the high price for acquiring D but not willing to go into sell mode yet for our D. I think it's a little bit of sucking and blowing at the same time.

I think by Jan he will be ready to pull the trigger. At least I hope he takes a deep breath and sells.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

HW wrote: On one hand he says he wants the kids to play but on the other is looking for a short term gap measure to cover for Sutter. Wants to increase skill level and secondary scoring but doesn't want to part with 2-3 assets to do so.
What kids is he supposed to let play here? The only two centers that would be ready for the NHL call-up are Gaunce and Vey, and Gaunce has been playing wing for a while now.

Vey clearly isn't what we need, and Gaunce is hurt. Grenier didn't really turn any heads in the pre-season or during his recent call-up.

Our other ready/almost ready prospects would be of little use in a bottom-6 role.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning today on TSN 1040
Kenins recalled 1) to provide energy and physicality to the forecheckers. 2) he had great chemistry with Bo last year and wants to see if they can redevelop that.
I like the sounds of that. And I think Kenins is not just an energy guy. I recall him making some sweet passes last year before he was told to play a certain way.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

WestCoastExpress is what this lifeless team needed, stressing out with all the pressure from this intense Canadian market.

Markus Naslund calmly pointed out to em to remember to relax and have fun, and the team played more fluid and at ease tonight, even noticed the invisible Baertschi playing more aggressive attack style.

Helped with Huts and Biega having the ability to transition out and make smart offensive plays/passes.

Lets see if WD is smart enough to keep this lineup together!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Didn't hurt that they were playing the Sabres. That team can make even the Oilers look good. That said, any kind of win can be a stepping stone. We'll see where this win takes them.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Topper wrote: Linden fired long time Canuck trainer, Mike Burnstein because of the rash of injuries the team was suffering.
This is probably more important than some would suspect -- especially if you believe that injury management is one of the keys to an extended playoff run (unlikely to be relevant this year, but one might expect to keep a training staff around for a while).

They might want to take a look at the conditioning coaches, as well. As I recall, the Canucks had a much better injury record when Pete Twist was on staff. (Of course there are other variables, there, too.) I think he has is own business now, but -- assuming that he can be persuaded by money -- the Little Eagles might be well served by backing up the Brinks truck to get him back.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Topper wrote: Linden fired long time Canuck trainer, Mike Burnstein because of the rash of injuries the team was suffering.
This is probably more important than some would suspect -- especially if you believe that injury management is one of the keys to an extended playoff run (unlikely to be relevant this year, but one might expect to keep a training staff around for a while).

They might want to take a look at the conditioning coaches, as well. As I recall, the Canucks had a much better injury record when Pete Twist was on staff. (Of course there are other variables, there, too.) I think he has is own business now, but -- assuming that he can be persuaded by money -- the Little Eagles might be well served by backing up the Brinks truck to get him back.
Yup Twist concentrated on core training, building up and strengthening your core to reduce groin injuries and such, which ultimately led to one of our longest stretches of health for this squad.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As I recall, Twist left of his own accord to hang his shingle as a consultant and open up the job opportunities outside of the Canucks.

I don't think Trevor Linden's Canucks lack any access to talent when it comes to fitness training staff.