Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by herb »

mathonwy wrote:Tough break for us poor fuckers that can't do anything about it except watch the slow motion train wreck.
Not sure about slow motion, but yeah I get what you mean. We sure are poor fuckers.

I was feeling pretty optimistic about our season prior to Christmas…now, not so much. Things are unraveling here pretty quick.

Any forward depth this team has had has been absolutely decimated by injuries (Burrows, Henrik, Santorelli, Hansen and Schroeder), an off year by Hansen and extremely poor performances by Burrows and Booth.

On defense, all of a sudden Weber and Corrado are going to be seeing big minutes as our only two right handed defensemen….yikes!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Diehard1 wrote:So far this season Henrik, Tanev, Edler, Bieksa, Santorelli, Kassian (suspension), Burrows, Luongo, Stanton, Alberts, Schroeder, have all missed significant time. That's half the roster right there.

If the team was healthy they'd be 5 or 6 in the west. Problem is they are never healthy and don't have the depth to overcome major injuries.

Not sure what I want for this season anymore. I can't see Aquilini allowing Gillis to do a mini rebuild, it's just too lucrative to get into the playoffs, but that's really what I think they need. Trade a couple of roster players like the Sharks did last year, maybe you squeak into the playoffs and maybe not, but you're much stronger over the long run. Perhaps a guy like Hansen, Richardson, Weise can get you a pick or young player. A guy like Tanev would grt you more, and a guy like Edler more still. Doubt any big trades happen but third liners are worth a ton at the deadline, would be interesting to shop a couple.
I am not sure any teams in the current cap environment can survive through significant injuries like the Canucks have.

Santo's LTIR won't give much cap relief to MG... Santo is the last player on this team that should be out for long-term. Seriously, I really wish Sestito would go after Hanzel the turtle. :evil:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The good news in all of this is that Santorelli should be cheap to sign next yeR :mrgreen:

Gotta feel for him. He was having a decent season with a chance to sign a 2-3 year deal worth more than the league minimum. Now that's all but toast.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:The good news in all of this is that Santorelli should be cheap to sign next yeR :mrgreen:

Gotta feel for him. He was having a decent season with a chance to sign a 2-3 year deal worth more than the league minimum. Now that's all but toast.
I would definitely look at signing him again for cheap. He seemed to fit in well with Torts system, and he's a fitness freak. We know how valuable the center position is, and he would be great insurance if Horvat isn't ready to roll full-time or injuries occur. Anything under $900K is risk-free, we can demote him and lose the cap-hit.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:The good news in all of this is that Santorelli should be cheap to sign next yeR :mrgreen:

I don't think so. I think what he showcased to the NHL so far was enough to convince most GM's that this guy was real deal. He's absolutely better than a 4th liner (and will continue to be so) and currently is a borderline 2nd/3rd liner.

If the Canucks try to lowball Santo, then I'm thinking some other goal starved team like Phoenix, Nashville, Montreal, Carolina, would be more than glad to pick him up.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

mathonwy wrote:

I don't think so. I think what he showcased to the NHL so far was enough to convince most GM's that this guy was real deal. He's absolutely better than a 4th liner (and will continue to be so) and currently is a borderline 2nd/3rd liner.

If the Canucks try to lowball Santo, then I'm thinking some other goal starved team like Phoenix, Nashville, Montreal, Carolina, would be more than glad to pick him up.
+1

Santorelli was a pleasant surprise this season, and may be an option in the top-9 who can play in the top-6 in a pinch (a better option than Hansen IMHO based on current performance) moving forward to next season. But it depends on the price, and whether there are bigger, more physical options on the market at similar price. Another consideration is making room for youngsters to slot in. He beat them out last training camp, but you have to think Gillis will side more in playing a prospect over another year of Santorelli -with all his pluses and minuses.

At least Gillis gave him a chance to extend his NHL career a-la Aaron Rome. I wish the kid well, regardless.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Lancer wrote: Santorelli was a pleasant surprise this season, and may be an option in the top-9 who can play in the top-6 in a pinch (a better option than Hansen IMHO based on current performance) moving forward to next season. But it depends on the price, and whether there are bigger, more physical options on the market at similar price. Another consideration is making room for youngsters to slot in. He beat them out last training camp, but you have to think Gillis will side more in playing a prospect over another year of Santorelli -with all his pluses and minuses.

At least Gillis gave him a chance to extend his NHL career a-la Aaron Rome. I wish the kid well, regardless.
What surprised me about Santo this season was his board play. Hansen and Higgins have pretty strong board play when cycling with another grinder on the boards. Santo seemed to be able to do that in his own. He's is the best player on the Canuck team at being able to stop on a dime and create enough space for himself to reverse without getting pinned against the boards.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

herb wrote:The rumors yesterday were true...Mike Santorelli has had shoulder surgery and is done for the season. Recovery is expected to take 5-6 months. Tough break for Mike and the Canucks.
Yeah, tuff break for Magic Mike. His played way exceeded expectations and I was pretty happy to see him do well. I hope we can re-sign him, but if we can't, I don't mind just going with Dalpe or Schroeds.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Botch notes that there was a lengthy post-game meeting including Canuck brass - likely why Sullivan was so late for the post-game presser. Apparently Gillis and Gilman were in there. Botch also suspects that the rumours being fed to Bob McKenzie and LeBrun are a shot across the bow at the players.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/01/31 ... -fills-up/

Don't know if this was a motivational moment or whether Gillis is warming the bell and giving the dressing room fair warning, but it's encouraging in a way to see that Gillis is not going to make excuses for this group anymore and appears ready to blow-up this so-called 'covenant' with the core and re-make this roster - albeit likely this offseason.

I guess we'll stay tuned.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Lancer wrote:Botch notes that there was a lengthy post-game meeting including Canuck brass - likely why Sullivan was so late for the post-game presser. Apparently Gillis and Gilman were in there. Botch also suspects that the rumours being fed to Bob McKenzie and LeBrun are a shot across the bow at the players.

Don't know if this was a motivational moment or whether Gillis is warming the bell and giving the dressing room fair warning, but it's encouraging in a way to see that Gillis is not going to make excuses for this group anymore and appears ready to blow-up this so-called 'covenant' with the core and re-make this roster - albeit likely this offseason.

lol - I only read part of it before posting

Interesting to see what happens.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nice and finally the head honcho has finally spoken to the team, probably warnings that this type of play is unacceptable, if this type of play continues, changes will be made accordingly in due time.

He should have asked - ok which players will waive his NTC to get a change of scenery. ha
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:Nice and finally the head honcho has finally spoken to the team, probably warnings that this type of play is unacceptable, if this type of play continues, changes will be made accordingly in due time.

He should have asked - ok which players will waive his NTC to get a change of scenery. ha
It's kind of funny the Boss tearing a strip off of the team he assembled. Look in the mirror Mikey, your hired these players and threw the bank at them and more. Now you are trying to get blood from a stone, your players with their fantastic contracts and NTC's simply are not good enough. Good luck with that.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:It's kind of funny the Boss tearing a strip off of the team he assembled. Look in the mirror Mikey, your hired these players and threw the bank at them and more. Now you are trying to get blood from a stone, your players with their fantastic contracts and NTC's simply are not good enough. Good luck with that.
He gave them those contracts in good faith based on what they've produced to date. Yes, he threw the bank at a couple of them and so to have them playing the way they have as of late gives him full rights to tear a strip off them if he wanted to. He held up his end and they are not living up to theirs. They are not playing as advertised in many cases. No doubt you will carve him up for not foreseeing what you think everyone else could see in terms of this team's performance but hindsight's 20/20 when you're looking out your own arse.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's kind of funny the Boss tearing a strip off of the team he assembled. Look in the mirror Mikey, your hired these players and threw the bank at them and more. Now you are trying to get blood from a stone, your players with their fantastic contracts and NTC's simply are not good enough. Good luck with that.
He gave them those contracts in good faith based on what they've produced to date. Yes, he threw the bank at a couple of them and so to have them playing the way they have as of late gives him full rights to tear a strip off them if he wanted to. He held up his end and they are not living up to theirs. They are not playing as advertised in many cases. No doubt you will carve him up for not foreseeing what you think everyone else could see in terms of this team's performance but hindsight's 20/20 when you're looking out your own arse.
Truth.

If the team is gonna shit the bed and they just call it a season till the cap goes up, plus the team NOT being in contention this season, I'd just rather call up Lain and Jensen and play em full time so they can develop much faster.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Lancer wrote:Botch notes that there was a lengthy post-game meeting including Canuck brass - likely why Sullivan was so late for the post-game presser. Apparently Gillis and Gilman were in there. Botch also suspects that the rumours being fed to Bob McKenzie and LeBrun are a shot across the bow at the players.

Gillis said:

Teams have altered their methodology in playing in the last 18 months significantly in my opinion.
I think we’ve been slow to react to those changes.
The collapsing with the forwards to the front of the net, the shot blocking, it isn’t often you see a really nice highlight reel goal scored.
It’s more getting the puck to the front of the net and jamming away at it.
I think that more than anything it has resulted in skilled players not really scoring skilled goals a lot of the time .
We have to make adjustments.