Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:I'll take Torts with a 15 day suspension over a quiet gum-chewing AV ANY day.
Giggleomaniac....maybe this ....inspires.,
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A suspension of 15 days is similar to a player being suspended 15 games. He is banned from having any contact for that duration. It is a heavy suspension and you really can't look at it in terms of number of games. It could just have easily been 9 games or 5 games, depending upon the schedule. It is a full 15 days in which he cannot participate in any capacity.

I think it is a good suspension. I love what he did but agree that there needs to be heavy suspensions for crossing that line. He can watch game film and draw up a new PP for us :mrgreen: That would make it all worth while.

You know it is a good day when folks over at Cowpuke are surprised, shocked, angered that Hartley got fined. Well the rest of the world seemed to know that was coming but they have argued since Saturday that it wasn't going to happen. But they are consoling themselves with the thought that although Hartley's fine was 25k Torts stands to lose around 154k. They seem to think that they not only won all the fights but got the better end if fines so they win that too.

What they lose in all of this is the fact that Hartley was fined such a huge amount the NHL has vindicated everything Torts said to begin with, they have proven exactly what most believed to have been the cause of this. See Torts wasn't suspended for his opening line up. He was suspended for what he did at the end of the period. Hartley on the other hand was fined and held accountable for starting Westgarth at centre with the full intention of starting an altercation with an unwilling opponent. Not fined for starting his 4th line at all, but for ordering the hit!

BB has weighed in. Shocked that a fine was handed down and for the life of him cannot understand why. Sort like the denial process over Crawford allegedly ordering the hit on Moore.
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Can he contact the coaches. Can he be in the press box?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

rats19 wrote:Can he contact the coaches. Can he be in the press box?

My understanding is that he cannot have any contact before, during or after any game, and no contact with the team for 15 days. I think the intent is to ensure that it is not a moot suspension. I would take that to me that he cannot be in the press box as he would then be in contact with the team during a game.

I'm sure if they need to communicate between games they will find a way to do so but it will not be overt. I would expect you will not see him in any arena where we play during that time and will not travel with the team.

That's why I say a 15 day suspension to a coach is like a 15 game suspension to a player.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Thnx wids.. A hat..a beard and fake glasses are in order... Jk. Our world (canucks) just keeps getting note interesting
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Perhaps Cherry *is* a prophet, this is the first Nuck coach to get suspended since Harry Neale.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It's interesting to say the least. I'm not upset with the 15 days. A message needed to be sent. And his lost salary will be 15/365 or roughly $80,000, which goes to some charity. He still has $1,920,000 to live on so I think he will be OK. :mrgreen:

An interesting question cropped up about whether he could scout Utica games, or sit in at practices to get a feel for the players on the farm. I can also see him doing a lot of film work. I don't think he is banned from Rogers Arena so no reason he can't get some work in. We have competent coaches with NHL experience to take over. Torts better hope the team doesn't 6-0, 90% on the PP while he is gone :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Free Torts logos now popping up! Love the hype.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'm still trying to find the details of his 15 days. What you are saying, HW is similar to a tweet on the TSN page but I can not find any official specifics.

NR from the league says no contact before, during or after games. Could be interpreted as game days????

Fifteen day does appear to be the fine. If that is similar to a player 15 day fine, and yes I know Tororella is management and not under the CBA, then it is 15/number of days in the season not a calender year. Again, I can not find specifics.

It strikes me as odd that the league specifies both 15 days and 6 games. If it were a 15 day banishment from the team, the 6 game comment is redundant, however by including both there is an implication that they are different penalties. Fifteen day loss of salary and 6 game days with no contact?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:It's interesting to say the least. I'm not upset with the 15 days. A message needed to be sent. And his lost salary will be 15/365 or roughly $80,000, which goes to some charity. He still has $1,920,000 to live on so I think he will be OK. :mrgreen:

An interesting question cropped up about whether he could scout Utica games, or sit in at practices to get a feel for the players on the farm. I can also see him doing a lot of film work. I don't think he is banned from Rogers Arena so no reason he can't get some work in. We have competent coaches with NHL experience to take over. Torts better hope the team doesn't 6-0, 90% on the PP while he is gone :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Free Torts logos now popping up! Love the hype.
A suspension was inevitable, and frankly I'm okay with it. It's a tad harsh, but whateva - a message had to be sent. I'm glad the league saw Hartley's BS for exactly what it was. BB's expression of surprise and denial are not surprising and just what we've come to expect from him.

As for what he can do, sending him to Utica for a couple days wouldn't be a bad thing, especially to see who would be likely call-ups. God knows getting him out of the humdrum of game preparation, etc. may help him do some reflection on where he and the team go from here.

Some folks are talking about this being part of Torts' culture change - that this is part of breeding a culture of not backing down, being aggressive and being a pack that fights for each other; not just for the team but to also change the perception of this team and its identity by the league and everybody else in the business. I'll buy that, and will say this past week has gone a long way towards changing that culture and image. I'm happy with that compared to what the team has been like for the 3 years previous.

Sully and Gully, have at'er! :P
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Coaches, and management, are paid by the calendar year of July 1st to June 30th, pro rated if signed mid season. His pay checks are not divided up by the playing season or pro rated by games. So 15 day suspension is divided by a calendar year. I think :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/0ArhwxDTcYI

This You Tube link shows how wrong we all were.Hartley, as he said just started his 4th to create some energy, with Jones slotted to take the draw. But Torts responded by putting Lain at centre, that goon who has history with Jones. Beat the shift out of him. seeing this Hartley moved Westgarth to centre to protect Jones from being mugged again. It all makes sense to me now.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Posted this response to BK in the Game Day Forum, then realized it was a GDT from December! :lol:

Like wot da fock BK!!

Anyway, I'm moving it here...
The Brown Knight wrote: What the fuck happened in the Canucks/Flames game? Torts acted a little silly don't you think? Hartley can ice whoever the hell he wants, and it's Torts' job to match that. Only way Torts could have justified his odd behavior, was if this was a road game and Calgary had the last option to put out their lines.
Torts was rightly pissed because Hartley had put him in an awkward position (they have a history these two).

Hartley's opening lineup amounted to a throwing down of the gauntlet.

Torts was damned if he does and damned if he doesn't:

Torts was damned if he does put his 4th line out there (5 men short all game, causing exhaustion).

Torts was damned if he doesn't put his 4th line out there (fails to protect his players from possible assault).

So yeah, Torts is all like

"You stupid evil bastard, you're putting players at risk!!"

Sure he crossed the line with his... "righteous anger"... if you will.

Sure he needs an anger management course.

But, make no mistake, his players love him for this and will no doubt go to the wall for him now.

Meanwhile I'm certain Hartley's crew is thinking “Our coach is an ass... and a lying ass at that!”.

The NHL basically called Hartley a liar, blaming him for purposely starting the brawl ($25K fine).

Torts gets a 15 day suspension for approaching the Flames dressing room

... but like I say, he's won his players over for sure now. :thumbs:

Hopefully the abuse from Devorski + Torts going to bat for them + record suspension to Torts

... creates a "siege mentality" on my Vancouver Canucks going forward.
Last edited by Strangelove on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:I'm still trying to find the details of his 15 days. What you are saying, HW is similar to a tweet on the TSN page but I can not find any official specifics.

NR from the league says no contact before, during or after games. Could be interpreted as game days????

Fifteen day does appear to be the fine. If that is similar to a player 15 day fine, and yes I know Tororella is management and not under the CBA, then it is 15/number of days in the season not a calender year. Again, I can not find specifics.

It strikes me as odd that the league specifies both 15 days and 6 games. If it were a 15 day banishment from the team, the 6 game comment is redundant, however by including both there is an implication that they are different penalties. Fifteen day loss of salary and 6 game days with no contact?
Not sure about this, I know he can't travel with the team.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:Perhaps Cherry *is* a prophet, this is the first Nuck coach to get suspended since Harry Neale.
Yeah, Neale got 10 games for punching a Nordique fan in the schnoz! :lol:

But hey, the Canucks went to the finals that year amirite? :mex:

HEY... didn't the prophet Cherry on Saturday predict Canucks would make it to the finals this year?? :shock:

*crosses fingers and toes*
____
Try to focus on someday.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Perhaps Cherry *is* a prophet, this is the first Nuck coach to get suspended since Harry Neale.
Yeah, Neale got 10 games for punching a Nordique fan in the schnoz! :lol:

But hey, the Canucks went to the finals that year amirite? :mex:

HEY... didn't the prophet Cherry on Saturday predict Canucks would make it to the finals this year?? :shock:

*crosses fingers and toes*
Thank goodness one of us is paying attention here ;) :mex:
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DOH
____
Try to focus on someday.