Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by donlever »

sagebrush wrote: His contract is under the max. 900k$ cap. space that a team can save by demoting a player to the minors.
Having paid little attention to the new CBA I do not know but I was under the impression that NHL contracts could not be buried in the minors any longer?
DeLevering since 1999.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

It looks like the cap. space a team can save by demoting a player is actually a little higher (925k$), for 2013/14.

http://rangersunlimited.com/cba/

There will be better CBA explanations, but I'm not industrious enough to find them.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...nope, me neither, thanks for the info tho.
DeLevering since 1999.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere - but some bad news in the Canucks cap world. I was really hoping we saw the last of David Booth.

Booth might not be medically cleared before buyout:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/play ... schneider/
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Guess we can save our buyouts for Ballard and DiPietro then... :wink:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Or perhaps Ballard and Fleury? :lol:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:Not sure if this was posted elsewhere - but some bad news in the Canucks cap world. I was really hoping we saw the last of David Booth.

Booth might not be medically cleared before buyout:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/play ... schneider/

I have heard that the Water Boy has not approved buy outs in any event and that should it become necessary MG could be in a world of hurt. Having a healthy Booth to start next season is not really a bad thing in my book. When he was healthy and in game shape I liked his game. It would be good to have him for a full year, healthy to see what he can bring.

Also hearing there is a market for Ballard, not sure what type of a market but also hearing MG wants to hold onto Ballard if he can. The belief is that a new coach may be what is required.

Given that Luongo will be gone I still can't see where we would be cap compliant with both Booth and Ballard unless another higher priced player with no NTC is moved for picks and prospects.

Also hearing MG has not interest in trading Edler. So I'm not sure anymore who is on the market just know we need to clear a ton of space. Beginning to look like MG wants a coach that can coach young kids and let them play through mistakes as opposed to a seasoned coach that can coach the vets. More and more like Eakins over other candidates and also tells me that MG plans to have a number of kids in the line up next season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

We've been hearing that this will be the year Ballard steps up every season we've had him. Obviously AV hated the guy but Ballard has played like shit since he got here.

Ballard isn't going to magically transform into a top-4 defenseman again no matter who's behind the bench. We should cut our losses, especially with the cap dipping.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:We've been hearing that this will be the year Ballard steps up every season we've had him. Obviously AV hated the guy but Ballard has played like shit since he got here.

Ballard isn't going to magically transform into a top-4 defenseman again no matter who's behind the bench. We should cut our losses, especially with the cap dipping.

To me it's the goalie argument all over. One of Ballard or Edler needs to go to clear cap. Who brings a better return? Ballard plays well with Tanev, put Bieksa and Hamhuis back together and Garrison with Corrado. Save on the cap and get restocked in the Edler deal.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:I have heard that the Water Boy has not approved buy outs in any event and that should it become necessary MG could be in a world of hurt. Having a healthy Booth to start next season is not really a bad thing in my book. When he was healthy and in game shape I liked his game. It would be good to have him for a full year, healthy to see what he can bring.

Also hearing there is a market for Ballard, not sure what type of a market but also hearing MG wants to hold onto Ballard if he can. The belief is that a new coach may be what is required.

Given that Luongo will be gone I still can't see where we would be cap compliant with both Booth and Ballard unless another higher priced player with no NTC is moved for picks and prospects.

Also hearing MG has not interest in trading Edler. So I'm not sure anymore who is on the market just know we need to clear a ton of space. Beginning to look like MG wants a coach that can coach young kids and let them play through mistakes as opposed to a seasoned coach that can coach the vets. More and more like Eakins over other candidates and also tells me that MG plans to have a number of kids in the line up next season.
Some disappointing intel there if true. This team needs more than "a number of kids in the lineup" and a new coach. It needs more horsepower.

Not surprised that Aquilini has no interest in eating a buyout or two. Neither would I.

Booth and Ballard cannot be on this team next year unless there is some significant LTIR room to work with or Burrows or Edler is dealt for nearly no salary in return. I'd like to see a healthy Booth back, provided there isn't some other significant upgrade to the top six that makes Booth redundant.

For shits and giggles, this team would fit under the cap, so the only real necessary moves are Luongo and Ballard.

Forwards
D Sedin $6,100,000
H Sedin $6,100,000
Kesler $5,000,000
Booth $4,250,000
Burrows $4,500,000
Higgins $2,500,000
Hansen $1,350,000
Lain $1,055,854
Schroeder $1,025,000
Kassian $870,000
Sestito $750,000
Weise $750,000
Pinizzotto $600,000

Defensemen
Bieksa $4,600,000
Garrison $4,600,000
Hamhuis $4,500,000
Edler $5,000,000
Veteran $1,500,000
Tanev $1,500,000
Corrado $600,000
8th D man $600,000

Goaltenders
Schneider $4,000,000
Lack $700,000

Cap Payroll $62,450,854
Salary Cap $64,300,000
Cap Space $1,849,146
# on Roster 23
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:We've been hearing that this will be the year Ballard steps up every season we've had him. Obviously AV hated the guy but Ballard has played like shit since he got here.

To me it's the goalie argument all over. One of Ballard or Edler needs to go to clear cap. Who brings a better return? Ballard plays well with Tanev, put Bieksa and Hamhuis back together and Garrison with Corrado. Save on the cap and get restocked in the Edler deal.
Edler would get a much better return but that's because he's a much better player. Ballard at 4.25 is a terrible allocation of cap space even if he plays twice as well as he did last year. Edler at 5 mill is a total bargain compared to Ballard's contract and he can play 20+ minutes a game while putting up top-10 D-man point totals.

If you trade Edler you dump Ballard as well, and you have to go after an elite defenseman to replace Edler. Relying on Tanev and Corrado to play huge minutes for us this year is stupid unless we're going into full rebuild mode (which we shouldn't be yet).
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Keith Ballard should not be back in any case. If he is then that's a failure on the part of Gillis. It's one thing to make a mistake, it's another to use lame justifications for keeping him around.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

herb wrote:Keith Ballard should not be back in any case. If he is then that's a failure on the part of Gillis. It's one thing to make a mistake, it's another to use lame justifications for keeping him around.
This
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Also hearing MG has not interest in trading Edler. So I'm not sure anymore who is on the market just know we need to clear a ton of space.
Yeah, that is my thinking...if Aquaman is drawing a hardline for Gillis in which apparently he is, Gillis has his work cut out for him. He pretty much has to take picks back for Luongo, whatever pick he can get or a prospect he can park somewhere in the AHL or leave in junior or overseas and he may be forced to trade an expensive forward with some marketability like Kesler or Burrows for cheaper younger talent. Nobody wants Booths contract, I could see Ballard having a market as defenders seem to be a real tough score on the market due to the lack of quality in this department. With the way the game is played now, defense is king, trading Edler makes no sense unless you are trading him for a cheaper, prospect type D-man in return for him.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RD...you be not a troll wrt Edler. It, IMO, would be a silly move. The smarter move would be to put him on the second pairing with a CONSISTENT, stay at home guy for EVERY shift. Bieksa as a partner ain't gonna cut it.

Garrison....for shits and giggles I looked at the actual numbers. Garrison finished second on the blueline for average PP time. He didn't play enough but he played more than everyone not named Edler. He was second in PK time as well. The real issue is why the hell was he 4th for ES time (5th if you put in Corrado which seems silly)? He was clearly the canucks best D-man this year in all facets of the game. So for that AV certainly deserves some blame.