Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by TDA Rum »

I thought if they still had term on their contract when dismissed, that picks were still awarded... could be wrong though
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:Countdown to Weisbrod promotion...
That one's a given, but who will fill the other roles? I can see Weisbrod taking on perhaps Gilman and Henning's tasks and responsibilities, but I can't see him taking on all three. It will be interesting to see who comes in or who gets promoted.

Some other posts in the last couple of days hinted at it, but this latest move just points another arrow towards an apparent re-build plan (or whatever the regime wants to call it) Benning has with a focal point on the 2016 offseason.

...or maybe I'm already unwittingly bracing myself for a forgettable season coming up. :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Maybe it is me but I am excited about the new season and to hopefully see 2 - 3 prospects be given a chance to play.

Virtanen, Sven, Clendenning(SP) or others, not saying they will be good but just to see a few more on the team that has energy.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Read elsewhere that Linden was on record saying that they will fill the vacancies from within - not bringing in anybody from outside the organization to replace the departed. Heard Jonathan Wall's name as one potential promotion. Anybody know more?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The massive urinators still desire to see this club littered with journeyman, tweener, reclamation projects taking up jobs where young exciting prospects with higher ceilings could fill. Old habits die hard, I wonder if Benning is capable of trading away some whining Canuck fans to teams where their favourite ex Canucks are now playing. FUCK PEOPlE change is exactly what this team needs! Whaaaaa Kassian, whaaaaaaa Lack, whaaaaaa Stanton.

Love it, bring it on. We all knew this day was comin

"It's not 2011 anymore" John Fonzie Torterella
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hoping 2 and 17 waive . Two years of suckage and some high draft picks and bye bye Ignitowski
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: Love it, bring it on. We all knew this day was comin
Yup, he has the gall to do what needs to be done.

We are collecting assets for what is essentially wasted space. If Kassian's back issues are that bad he needed to go, we may be able to flip Prust at the deadline for a 3rd/4th. Bieksa was getting us nowhere and either needed a change or is just done. After all his freak leg injuries I'm thinking the latter.

If he can gain more assets out of all these NTC's we have good for him!

He's cutting fat, and at the same time waiting for someone to blow his socks off for a legitimate asset like Edler. Someone else said it really appears he's focusing on 2016, the UFA market looks decent and the draft is supposedly deep. Stock up! Trim cap. This ship could be righted fairly quickly.

I'm in the 2-3 years we see a significant result category.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The timing seems odd, being just after the draft and the first day of free agency, but this isn't surprising in the least. Gilman, Henning and Crawford seem to be highly regarded around the league. I bet all three will have jobs again soon.

Gilman in particular was a cap wizard. The maneuvers he did in 2011 with IR and sending players up and down to keep the team cap compliant were impressive.

I hope to hell Jimbo knows what he is doing because he just fired some intelligent and extremely competent guys. Hopefully Weisbrod has improved because he was a disaster in the NBA.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Burnstein fired. Wow, 20 years of service and this is how it ends.

Benning and Linden are on a scorched earth policy right now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:Burnstein fired. Wow, 20 years of service and this is how it ends.

Benning and Linden are on a scorched earth policy right now.
Wow, what's next? Benning and Linden going to fire all of the season ticket holders at next week's function?

I'm loading up on the food first. Damn the speeches.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Daniel Sedin listed his 6 million dollar home for sale today. Start the rumours. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Daniel Sedin listed his 6 million dollar home for sale today. Start the rumours. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nice. If the Sedin's waive this re-tool will be even faster than anticipated!

:mex:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Daniel Sedin listed his 6 million dollar home for sale today. Start the rumours. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I had no idea Daniel lived in the LDES. I guess it makes the commute easy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Canucks Sign Blair Jones to One-Year Contract
45 minutes ago

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed centre Blair Jones to a one-year deal.

Jones, 28, split the 2014-15 season between the Philadelphia Flyers and the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL). He played four games with the Flyers and collected 21 points (9-12-21) and 46 penalty minutes in 33 games with the Phantoms.

The Central Butte, Saskatchewan native has appeared in 132 career NHL games, recording 17 points (7-10-17) and 65 penalty minutes with the Tampa Bay Lightning, Calgary Flames and Philadelphia.

The 6’2”, 216 pound centre was originally drafted in the fourth round, 102nd overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by Tampa Bay.

Utica bound, depth at centre for injury call up?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Utica bound, depth at centre for injury call up?
Cal O'Reilly replacement.