Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Mickey107 »

Do NOT, repeat, NOT take anything said right now as for sure or definite.
there is no way Benning is going to tip his hand right now and that is smart.
A lot will happen, too soon to get upset, Wait!!!
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I don't hear anything different in his line of thinking than what we have heard since a year ago.

Maybe the word rebuild is now in the public vocabulary instead of retool. Maybe this season's performance has made it more palatable to some of the fans. Definitely most have realized that this is a multiyear process.

As I noted a month or more ago, kids and younger placeholders moving in while more vets move out.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:I don't hear anything different in his line of thinking than what we have heard since a year ago.

Maybe the word rebuild is now in the public vocabulary instead of retool. Maybe this season's performance has made it more palatable to some of the fans. Definitely most have realized that this is a multiyear process.

As I noted a month or more ago, kids and younger placeholders moving in while more vets move out.

Agreed Tops. The only real differences are in how Benning is now acknowledging they expected a drop off this season and they expect next year to be much the same. The playoff talk is still there but now it's squeaking into a wild card spot if things go well, not being a 100 point team. I think year one he felt we were still competitive enough to compete for the division which is why he signed Miller and Vrbata. And he was right. His hand has been forced somewhat this year with all the injuries.

I've always maintained that this market could not stomach a rebuild inspite of what some claimed and I think a lot of fans showed just that, they really can not stomach a rebuild. It's easier to blame Benning and Linden, and to some extent WD, than to accept we were rebuilding. Linden had the market right. Semantics aside, I think most people get it now, it's just who to blame is still out for debate.

Regardless of how we got here, there is no quick fix. Benning is doing it right, even if not all his moves are right. We will get a decent pick this year. We will have a ton of cap this year and next year. We have room to make moves. I just want to see a hard working team every night that want to win.
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote: I've always maintained that this market could not stomach a rebuild inspite of what some claimed and I think a lot of fans showed just that, they really can not stomach a rebuild. It's easier to blame Benning and Linden, and to some extent WD, than to accept we were rebuilding. Linden had the market right. Semantics aside, I think most people get it now, it's just who to blame is still out for debate.
This is what I don't understand, why does someone or a group of people need to be blamed at all?

I saw what Gillis was doing, and i don't care that he sold the farm for our best chance ever to win the Cup. If we had won game 6 or 7 we wouldn't be blaming anyone for anything. He gave it his best effort to win the Cup, I can't blame him for anything. Hell, maybe we should've sold more for better depth!

Even now, I can see Benning isn't winning every one of his moves. But he's making progress. That's how this shit is going to go! Chip away at building a competitive team. Lots of little moves, draft well, develop well and try to attract the players we need to be contenders. It won't happen in a year or two or even three, it's a good 5 year plan with the goal to be contenders within 8-10 years of our last shot.

There isn't anyone or anything to blame for where this team is right at the moment. It is what it is. And we just need to be patient and watch these kids grow into the next generation of Canucks talent. It is happening!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: I've always maintained that this market could not stomach a rebuild inspite of what some claimed and I think a lot of fans showed just that, they really can not stomach a rebuild. It's easier to blame Benning and Linden, and to some extent WD, than to accept we were rebuilding. Linden had the market right. Semantics aside, I think most people get it now, it's just who to blame is still out for debate.
This is what I don't understand, why does someone or a group of people need to be blamed at all?

I saw what Gillis was doing, and i don't care that he sold the farm for our best chance ever to win the Cup. If we had won game 6 or 7 we wouldn't be blaming anyone for anything. He gave it his best effort to win the Cup, I can't blame him for anything. Hell, maybe we should've sold more for better depth!
I don't think anyone in their right mind can blame Gillis for sellilng youth and picks to try and win a Cup.

Gillis dropped the ball with his appraisal of current talent and the contracts and NTC's he handed out. He also failed miserably when it came to recognizing a mistake and moving on from it.....Ballard and Booth come to mind.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:

Even now, I can see Benning isn't winning every one of his moves. But he's making progress. That's how this shit is going to go! Chip away at building a competitive team. Lots of little moves, draft well, develop well and try to attract the players we need to be contenders. It won't happen in a year or two or even three, it's a good 5 year plan with the goal to be contenders within 8-10 years of our last shot.

There isn't anyone or anything to blame for where this team is right at the moment. It is what it is. And we just need to be patient and watch these kids grow into the next generation of Canucks talent. It is happening!
Because it has to be someone's fault.

Small children are the unbelievers.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

Because it has to be someone's fault.

Small children are the unbelievers.
Wow so you guys were the only ones that were hip that the team needed to be rebuilt. Cool shit right there. I was completely unaware. Imagine actually questioning the man tasked with the rebuild for some of the baffling moves he makes.

Nope can't have that shit! When you ostriches yank your heads out of each other's assholes let me know.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Come on Blob, most of us here saw we needed a rebuild. My comments were directed at people not on these boards but the lemming masses.

We are now in Bennng's wheelhouse. Hopefully :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Said they expected a drop off this year (really? I recall him saying we were a 100 point team).
I distinctly remember the way that went down (during training camp was it?)...

Bob McKenzie: “Is this a 100-point playoff team?”

Jim Benning: ...PAUSE... “Yeah I think so.”

A loaded question if there ever was one!

Seriously, how else could he have answered it at that particular point in time?

I also recall (within a week of that response) Linden saying "The goal is to make the playoffs".

(“tough league” yada yada)

I also recall Henrik saying shortly thereafter that "We're in for a couple of tough seasons".

Anyhoo not surprised those who can't handle a rebuild (AKA "the urinators") want someone to crucify. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wow so you guys were the only ones that were hip that the team needed to be rebuilt. Cool shit right there. I was completely unaware.
OMG the guy is completely off his rocker! :shock:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

So with the scores tonight...

Canucks are gonna finish either 3rd-last or 4th-last right?

Benning is a genius-tanker... no one can prove nuttin. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I always like them Columbus bluejackets, cool third jerseys with the cannon.

Uhhh GO Jackets Go !
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:So with the scores tonight...

Canucks are gonna finish either 3rd-last or 4th-last right?

Benning is a genius-tanker... no one can prove nuttin. :mex:
So if we only can drop two spots the worst we can do is drafting 5-6, with the lottery our saving grace, hopefully.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Gillis did put a cup winning team together, no doubt about that.
118 regular season points and a playoff run that was spectacular.
Injuries aside, the cup was ours.
A little bite from Burr, little too much lip from Lappy and a late hit from Rome changed that.

It was the very next year he started faltering in not making hard choices.
A year later, still winning the President's trophy but it wasn't really the same, was it?

By 12/13 it was too late and this was going to happen.
Rewarding style contracts given, not much for new blood and on and on.
We all know that now.

The misunderstanding of the terms, rebuild and retool amazes me!
Rebuild is what we're doing now and for the next 3+ years.
Retool is what should be done every freaking year! That is for a continuing successful franchise,
But WTF do I know...........
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Benning is a genius-tanker... no one can prove nuttin. :mex:
Ah yes, the classic "100-point lottery team" strategy.