Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Had to be done, Gillis did the right thing. Now if Gillis could do the same for Booth I will be walking on sunshine.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:Had to be done, Gillis did the right thing. Now if Gillis could do the same for Booth I will be walking on sunshine.
You think we have seen all that booth has? I think we havnt, I thought before he got injured he was showinf signs of what we thought we were getting..no?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Booth can regain some of his scoring touch he will be a valuable addition down the stretch and into the playoffs. My big concern is that I never seemed to feel he clicked with Kesler. So lets see how the team plays when Kesler is back, what the lines look like and then we can worry about Booth. He may get third line with JS, someone who will pass to him. Higgins drops down to the 4th and Raymond gets second line with Kesler and Kassian. Who knows.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

If all this about Gillis sincerely being concerned for Manny's health is true - and I haven't seen compelling evidence otherwise - then kudos to Gillis for being the closest there is to being a players' GM.

Considering the issues with management, labour and health in sport these days, you could call Gillis a true 'visionary' in this regard. IMO, he did the right thing - especially by bringing in Manny's agent and others close to him (I'm imagining an 'Intervention'-type scene at Rogers Place) and giving Manny some choices for his future. You better believe this has not gone unnoticed among the players in the league. Another factor in making the Canucks a preferred employer for free agents who chase more than the money.

Sounds like Gillis may have depth problems down the road - too much depth! Putting Booth with Schroeds may be worth the experiment. That said, I still think he and Kes could develop the chemistry it seemed was developing before he got his knee blown up last year.

Kes appears set to hit the ice against Dallas. I just hope he stuck to his word and isn't coming back too soon. Time will tell, I guess.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

If Canucks win the Cup this year, Manny should get his name on said trophy a la Marc Savard no?

WIN IT FOR MANNY!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: My big concern is that I never seemed to feel he clicked with Kesler. So lets see how the team plays when Kesler is back, what the lines look like and then we can worry about Booth. He may get third line with JS, someone who will pass to him. Higgins drops down to the 4th and Raymond gets second line with Kesler and Kassian. Who knows.
That is some of the most brilliant postings I have seen in these parts since who knows when. There is life on this planet, Captain Kirk.

I think the Nucks will have no choice but to buy out Booth's contract unless they can get someone to take him for draft picks. Jensen is the ideal, cheaper replacement for him and most likely will be the better player. Gillis will be getting some sort of hefty contract back for Luongo, Ballard seems to be filling a need (part of a decent 3rd pairing) much more than what Booth could provide. We got bottom 6 forwards coming out of our ying yang, cheaper ones that are just as good if not better. I see a line of Kassian, Kesler and Higgins and a line of Raymond, Schroeder and Hansen. 4th line Lappy, Volpatti and Weise. For next year, I would say adios to Higgins and Booth and bring in Jensen.

By the time Ballards contract is up, Corrado should be raring to go.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

tantalum wrote:
dangler wrote:what side does Ebbet play?
Whatever side the pressbox is on....
That.

Canucks will need to add a veteran centre.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Booth can regain some of his scoring touch he will be a valuable addition down the stretch and into the playoffs. My big concern is that I never seemed to feel he clicked with Kesler. So lets see how the team plays when Kesler is back, what the lines look like and then we can worry about Booth. He may get third line with JS, someone who will pass to him. Higgins drops down to the 4th and Raymond gets second line with Kesler and Kassian. Who knows.
Booth was injured Dec 6th vs the Avs, two days earlier, vs the Flames Booth had a goal and an assist. 1st Star, David Booth, 2nd Star, Chris Higgins 1G 2A, 3rd Star Ryan Kesler 3A.

It was a coming out party for that line.

Midway through the 1st of the next game, Porter struck.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So I watched the Gillis presser on CDC and it looked like he spent the entire time trying not to say he was worried Manny would be blind sided.

Then onto AV talking about Kesler........why didn't he name Kesler as his starting goaltender just to fuck with the media?

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:If Canucks win the Cup this year, Manny should get his name on said trophy a la Marc Savard no?

WIN IT FOR MANNY!!!
The Stanchion agrees
So pretty much the Canucks HAVE to win the Cup this year for Manny, otherwise they are a bunch of jerks
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:So I watched the Gillis presser on CDC and it looked like he spent the entire time trying not to say he was worried Manny would be blind sided.

Then onto AV talking about Kesler........why didn't he name Kesler as his starting goaltender just to fuck with the media?
Or at least talked about how Luongo is actually a better defenseman than he is a goaltender (saying alot), just to get the media all stirred up about a possible trade with Ottawa.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, does seem like he's being pushed out a bit. After playing like 100 games since the injury, now they think he's a risk to get himself injured? It doesn't make a lot of sense. What makes Gillis an expert to say a player is a risk to himself? If the doctors clears a guy to play and the player feels he's ready to play, it should be ultimately up to the player. The fact that Manny hasn't spoken to the media says alot and he must be pissed. Manny probably still thinks he can play, otherwise he wouldn't have worked out hard in the off season and spent all that time dicking around with the NHLPA negotiating committee. Also, it just seems really convenient to shut Manny down just when Kes is coming back and Schroeder seems to be emerging as an NHL player.

I think Manny would request a trade or ask to be put on waivers, but his wife just gave birth and he probably doesn't want to leave their side right now. I don't think we've seen the last of Manny. Come summer when he becomes a UFA, he's probably going to try to sign with another team.

Rumsfeld wrote:Retirement or being pushed out, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, does seem like he's being pushed out a bit. After playing like 100 games since the injury, now they think he's a risk to get himself injured? It doesn't make a lot of sense. What makes Gillis an expert to say a player is a risk to himself? If the doctors clears a guy to play and the player feels he's ready to play, it should be ultimately up to the player. The fact that Manny hasn't spoken to the media says alot and he must be pissed. Manny probably still thinks he can play, otherwise he wouldn't have worked out hard in the off season and spent all that time dicking around with the NHLPA negotiating committee. Also, it just seems really convenient to shut Manny down just when Kes is coming back and Schroeder seems to be emerging as an NHL player.

I think Manny would request a trade or ask to be put on waivers, but his wife just gave birth and he probably doesn't want to leave their side right now. I don't think we've seen the last of Manny. Come summer when he becomes a UFA, he's probably going to try to sign with another team.

Rumsfeld wrote:Retirement or being pushed out, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Nonsense, think about it. The Canucks don't want Manny any more in the line up. They decide that when Kesler is back Manny is out. So why not waive him and send him down. They still pay his salary either way. But less would count on the cap if they sent him down that keeping him on IR.

Or they could explore trade opportunities and get back a 4-7 round pick. There are teams that need centres that would take him for cheep. If Manny was faced with press box, minors or waiving his NTC I am sure a deal somewhere could have been worked out.

In other words, if this is about making a roster spot the Canucks had plenty of options available to do that other than end a guys career. They gave him the option of retiring and immediately joining the front office in a capacity to be worked out, or, going on IR until July 1st but his playing days in Vancouver are over. If he stays on IR then he will collect his salary and come July 1 if he feels he can play he can test the market.

The absolute fear here was not about his eye but about his ability to protect himself on the ice from what could be a devastating injury because he didn't see it coming.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:The absolute fear here was not about his eye but about his ability to protect himself on the ice from what could be a devastating injury because he didn't see it coming.
and you laughed when I said that yesyerday

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The bottom line is that hockey is a business. The business is always going to come first, every player knows this. If you don't maintain a level of play someone is going to take your spot.

If this was purely a salary cap issue, and Manny was not at risk in any way due to his injury, then you have to assume that Malhotra gets sent down and risked on waivers. Some of his salary would still count against the team, but they could also send Ebbett that way too as it's doubtful anyone claims him. Sending Manny down means he would be away from his wife and newly arrived child. He, and his wife, aren't going to like that. If he gets claimed on waivers than that is even worse for them as it more likely means a relocation for the whole family. Doing things this way means that the Canucks are still paying him his salary and keeping him with his family.

Moreover, if it's true that his agent and family were brought in on this decision then you also have to think that there is some truth to it and not just a cap based decision.