Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Water boy won't buy him out next year.

Thats the story, but it isn't sexy enough for the media pundits to report on.
The Great Strangelove is the only "media pundit" to suggest Water Boy WILL buy Lou out next year

... although the Great Strangelove can still see Lou traded to Forida if Tallon decides to get real.

The Great Strangelove does NOT deal in rumours.

The Great Strangelove deals in "common sense".
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote:

The Great Strangelove is the only "media pundit" to suggest Water Boy WILL buy Lou out next year

... although the Great Strangelove can still see Lou traded to Forida if Tallon decides to get real.

Which is oh so uncommon.....nowadays
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Strangelove wrote:

Unfortunately he also deals in BS.. "No, because Lou is still a Top Ten goalie" ??? Stats don't seem to agree with you ..
Lou hasn't been in the top 10 for 2 years .. last year ranked 15 or 16 in GAA and SV%..
Career stats have him 10 percentage points better than Gigure in regular season play and 10 below Gigure in the playoffs.. Giguere is also sporting a Vezina and a Stanley cup ring.. and isn't top 10.. his salary ? last year 1.5 mill with the AV's..
MG traded away our best goaltender for a pick.. :( and kept a guy that doesn't want to be in Vancouver.. Goodbye to the upcoming season.. Lou will not play that well and we got no help for this season.. With the "new" division I doubt we win the division and may not even make the playoffs..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

The Canucks are unlikely to win the division but they will be in the playoffs if the team's top players stay healthy.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

FAN wrote:The Canucks are unlikely to win the division but they will be in the playoffs if the team's top players stay healthy.
I'm looking forward to the Canucks being in a new division. It'll be some tough sledding for a while, but I think the better regular season competition will prep them better for the playoffs. I agree, I don't see them winning the division, but I suspect we'll get into the playoffs. The Canucks will simply have to be harder to play against in a division with the Kings, Sharks, Ducks etc., if we are to have any success.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

I'm excited by the notion of having new up-an-comers cracking our line-up but like some others have surmised on here already, it's going to take time, probably up to 2 to 3 years before we see them make permanent roster placement. The timing is interesting too when ya consider that the shelf life of the Sedin's could coincide with this. Between now and then, the only conceivable way that Gillis could possibly improve the team is thru trades. I'm one of those that isn't particularly enamoured with Gillis' prowess in the trade realm... so I'm kinda thinking that the team we see this year is as good as we're going to be until the new 'crop' has their day. Again like others have stated, we'll probably make the playoffs (which is good!), but gone are the days of presidents trophy season performances. It's great though to have an understanding that there is hope for the future. IF we still had Schneider here and lost Lou thru some avenue, we would n't be sitting as pretty for the future - Bo Harvat looks to be as solid and promising as they come. So for this I say, "Thanks CS".
cc oldtimer
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tiger wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Unfortunately he also deals in BS.. "No, because Lou is still a Top Ten goalie" ??? Stats don't seem to agree with you ..
Lou hasn't been in the top 10 for 2 years .. last year ranked 15 or 16 in GAA and SV%..
In 2011-12 Roberto Luongo was Top Ten among Starting NHL Goaltenders in SV% (42+ starts).

In 2011-12 Roberto Luongo was Top Twelve among Starting NHL Goaltenders in GAA (42+ starts).

In 2011-12 Roberto Luongo was hampered by an "upper body injury" for the first two months of the season.

In 2011-12 Roberto Luongo was statistically Top Three among Starting NHL Goaltenders from December-April.

The Great Strangelove has decided to write-off the mere 20 games RL started in 2012-13 for obvious reasons.
Tiger wrote: Career stats have him 10 percentage points better than Gigure in regular season play and 10 below Gigure in the playoffs.. Giguere is also sporting a Vezina and a Stanley cup ring.. and isn't top 10.. his salary ? last year 1.5 mill with the AV's..
All that proves is that perhaps YOU wanna get jiggy with Giggy.

Check this out:

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/ ... aders.html

Roberto Luongo has THE BEST SAVE PERCENTAGE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL (736+ starts). :mex:

That's not Top Ten, that's Top ONE!!!

All-time!
Tiger wrote: Lou will not play that well and we got no help for this season..
What was that you were saying about BS there Miss Cleo? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

1%'er :scowl:
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:1%'er :scowl:
... as if Spidey didn't hate him enough already. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:Roberto Luongo has THE BEST SAVE PERCENTAGE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL (736+ starts). :mex:
Cause 735 starts just isn't a good enough sample right? :sly:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Roberto Luongo has THE BEST SAVE PERCENTAGE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL (736+ starts). :mex:
Cause 735 starts just isn't a good enough sample right? :sly:
Right!

Hmmm, wonder if Lou will hit 1000 games played. :shock:

That, whilst continuing to keep his sv% ridiculously high, combined with a Cup or two

.... and he'd be a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame! :thumbs:

Yet look how he gets treated by many here at the Goalie Graveyard. :hmmm:

Yours truly asked the question at Central in 2006:

"Will Roberto Luongo break the curse of Vancouver's Goalie Graveyard?"

Perhaps he yet will amirite Dave? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Strangelove wrote:Yet look how he gets treated by many here at the Goalie Graveyard. :hmmm:

Yours truly asked the question at Central in 2006:

"Will Roberto Luongo break the curse of Vancouver's Goalie Graveyard?"

Perhaps he yet will amirite Dave? :mex:
Luongo was already dead and buried - so now I guess it's the Zombie Graveyard...!

I'M BACK!

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ahem...
Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Strangler, you can parade all the stats around you like but lets face it...the guy sucks when it counts the most.

As an aside, since you have proven he has the lowest save % in the history of the NHL, do you honestly, and I mean honest to yourself as well as everyone here, feel Luongo should be mentioned anywhere as being even remotely close to one of the games greatest goaltenders?

Seriously now...

Oh yeah and easy now...my eye socket has only just healed :lol:
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Ahem...
Exhibit A
Kane's first goal was a laser beam. Kane has beaten MANY of the league's best goaltenders with that shot of his. His second goal, well that puck got past two Canuck defenders, Salo and Mitchell, and Mitchell really screwed up on that one. Luongo has no excuse for Kane's third goal, but the team in front of Luongo was pretty much letting the Hawks run around.....regardless, he should've had it. Kane also is one of those speedy little guys who has loads of skill and also an incredible amount of puck luck.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Exhibit B
Wow. That goal, really? The Canucks are letting the Hawks do whatever they hell they please for that entire clip. The shot comes in from the point, through a screen, Lou gets his blocker on it, when he finally finds it, and the Canucks defense does jack shit. Lou played that shot properly, he's down and out because he knows a shot is coming in from the point, he can't see it clearly through traffic, so he drops to take away the ice, making the high percentage play, then makes a very good reaction save, though that puts him out of position for a rebound. That's what the team in front of him is for. They dropped the ball.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Exhibit C
The Boston series was just a complete Jekyll and Hyde series for Luongo. He was absolutely unbelievable in games 1, 2, and 5. He was atrocious in games 3, 4, and 6, and less than stellar in game 7. But again you pick probably one of the most "excusable" goals from those games in Boston. Ference isn't a shooter, he winds up, he's sliding along the blueline to Luongo's left, Lou gets a good look at him winding up and his movement, drops as he tracks him across, and Ference blasts one that goes back the other way. It was a perfectly placed shot, and Ference probably couldn't replicate it if he tried.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Strangler, you can parade all the stats around you like but lets face it...the guy sucks when it counts the most.

As an aside, since you have proven he has the lowest save % in the history of the NHL, do you honestly, and I mean honest to yourself as well as everyone here, feel Luongo should be mentioned anywhere as being even remotely close to one of the games greatest goaltenders?

Seriously now...

Oh yeah and easy now...my eye socket has only just healed :lol:
Yeah, no doubt UDL, Lou is completely AWOL every time it really counts.

.....yeah, completely AWOL.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

For the detractors......