Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Jovocop »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Schneider DTD with an undisclosed injury. Joe Cannata called up. Lou gets the start tomorrow.

Discuss...
Aren't we glad that the Canucks have a capable backup goalie? :mrgreen:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

wafflecombine wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Schneider DTD with an undisclosed injury. Joe Cannata called up. Lou gets the start tomorrow.

Discuss...
Doubt its serious and could likely be nothing more than a phantom "maintenance" day scenario like they did with Bieksa last year.

Resting Schneider for the post season with 2 games left is a decent strategy.
Agreed, let the mind games begin! :mrgreen:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Arachnid wrote:
Is this all part of the plan? To get Cannata in a game or two as a b/u? I thought it was Climie who was playing much better....

Either way, Lou wins the cup with Cory on the bench. Mind Blown.

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The canucks have callups available to them. They aren't moving in the standings. They have a goaltender who has played a lot of game lately. They have a goaltender in the minors that played well his first pro year.

Add it all up and it is simply a pat on the back (and boost to the wallet) for Cannata and some R&R for Schneider.

note: Schneider has apparently been asked if he's OK and the response was "I'm fine"

btw if anyone is keeping count that is 5 Gillis draft picks donning a canucks jersey this year. And of course one with a Sabres uniform. Also, Tanev, Volpatti and Sweatt, all Gillis signings as prospects out of college, saw time with the canucks this season.
Last edited by tantalum on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

CFP! wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Is this all part of the plan? To get Cannata in a game or two as a b/u? I thought it was Climie who was playing much better....
Climie is a 30 year old career AHLer. He isn't going anywhere (do the canucks even have him under contract or is he simply a Wolves contract?). Cannata is a first year pro who just turned 23. Moving forward, they aren't interested in Climie but are interested in Cannata. Don't be shocked to see Cannata get the Oiler game. Luongo will get the Anaheim game as it is at home and it may be his last start as a canuck. They'll want to allow the fans to give him a send off. The Oiler game while also being meaningless is on the road so why not start Cannata?
Last edited by tantalum on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

tantalum wrote:btw if anyone is keeping count that is 5 Gillis draft picks donning a Canucks jersey this year. And of course one with a Sabres uniform. Also, Tanev, Volpatti and Sweatt were all Gillis signings as prospects out of college also saw time with the canucks this season.
Don't try to deflate the Dude's balloon! He spent so much time pumping it up! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

tantalum wrote:The canucks have callups available to them. They aren't moving in the standings. They have a goaltender who has played a lot of game lately. They have a goaltender in the minors that played well his first pro year.

Add it all up and it is simply a pat on the back (and boost to the wallet) for Cannata and some R&R for Schneider.

note: Schneider has apparently been asked if he's OK and the response was "I'm fine"

btw if anyone is keeping count that is 5 Gillis draft picks donning a canucks jersey this year. And of course one with a Sabres uniform. Also, Tanev, Volpatti and Sweatt were all Gillis signings as prospects out of college also saw time with the canucks this season.
no one is keeping track are they tant???

good about schneids :mex:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

rats19 wrote: no one is keeping track are they tant???
No one of consequence ;)

Seriously, I've had to read/listen to sooooo many people complain about the quality of callups this year thinking it is because of Gillis' drafting that I'm tired of it. It is only now you can expect them to have these depth callups ready to contribute from his draft years and they are. They often take this long if they aren't top flight talents. The real reason for the lack of these depth callups lies back in the 2006, and 2007 drafts where Nonis drafted one NHL player. Really the 4 years with Nonis as the helm produced 6 NHLers along with Bourdon (so 7 NHLers) and Shirokov. Those 6 were Hansen, Brown, Edler, Schneider, Raymond, and Grabner. The first 4 are more the fruits of Burke's scouting organization as the outgoing GM. Good finds they were (and of course Edler as we all know was all Gradin...credit to Nonis for listening of course). That's it from Nonis. In addition to the ones we've seen this year we might yet see Blomstrand, Lain (maybe), Lack and Gaunce find their way into the canucks rotation over the next calendar year or two.

Really what I'm saying is Nonis hit the ball out of the ballpark his first year at the helm (make your own mind up how much of a role he played in it). After that the picking are slim. Gillis hasn't had that 4 good solid player draft but his drafts are clearly producing 1 or 2 guys every year (2011 may produce Jensen, Corrado, Blomstrand and Tommernes). Not to mention his signings which are certainly hit or miss but have produced a future top 4 D-man and potentially a good backup goaltender (Lack). Having Corrado and Tanev on cheap contracts for the next handful of years will likely be of immense help to the canucks. It's what will allow them to have nearly $20 mil tied up with the other 4 guys on the blueline.

They need Schroeder, Jensen and Gaunce to develop to full time, significant contributors over the next 1-3 years to be sure.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

tantalum wrote: Also, Tanev, Volpatti and Sweatt, all Gillis signings as prospects out of college, saw time with the canucks this season.
Volpatti has earned himself a two year extension in Washington as well after departing via waivers... we didn't capitalize on that asset, per se, but that's two NHL teams now that see him as valuable..
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:
tantalum wrote:The canucks have callups available to them. They aren't moving in the standings. They have a goaltender who has played a lot of game lately. They have a goaltender in the minors that played well his first pro year.

btw if anyone is keeping count that is 5 Gillis draft picks donning a canucks jersey this year. And of course one with a Sabres uniform. Also, Tanev, Volpatti and Sweatt were all Gillis signings as prospects out of college also saw time with the canucks this season.

Or is it........

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Arachnid wrote:
rats19 wrote:

Or is it........

I almost forgot about that segment. :rofl:

TSN has to stop giving Lu ideas.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

An interesting comment by Farhan.
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
I've never been a "fire the coach" guy, but I shake my head at how Ballard & Kassian have been handled. #canucks
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Jovocop wrote:An interesting comment by Farhan.
I've never been a "fire the coach" guy, but I shake my head at how Ballard & Kassian have been handled. #canucks
Interesting. Further down the tweet ladder...

For the record, I am STILL NOT a "fire the coach" guy.
If you need air...call it in
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Farhan is a hack. Both of 'em. :lol:

LOFL @ Burrows leading the entire league in minors. So many teams have lippier and dirtier players who can't skate worth a fuck.

The refs must watch a lot of Coach's Corner.

Total crock of shit. :evil:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Jensen and Archibald called up. Gaunce expected to be called up once his playoffs are over.

Gilman saying Schroeder won't be used in the first round. Schroeder never played the last game of the AHl regular season so it seems like he is injured not just being ignored. I would expect that once he is healthy and ready to go he'll be called up....and will hopefully replace Ebbett in the lineup.