Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Say hello to Tree

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
lostinarink wrote:Tree on his way from Russia

For those wanting to practice their Russian:
http://www.hc-avto.ru/news/1232/
Benning is and continues to be, a GENIUS!
Agreed.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove »

rikster wrote:
Appreciate the effort - but your response is best viewed through the rosiest of rose-coloured glasses.
I disagree...

Benning inherited a team on the wrong side of being in its prime which was littered with movement clauses and was not highly regarded around the league...

Some fans in Vancouver couldn't accept this fact and felt betrayed at the returns when players were moved...

To me that speaks more about the ignorance of those fans than it does about management...

Add that we seem to have one of the whinniest fan bases, especially those who like to post at Hockey's Futures...

That aside I like a manager who is decisive and understands holding out for the home run deal is another way of standing pat...

Some deals can be singles and some doubles and some complete misses, it's the resume of all good managers...

Time is making many of Bennings deals look better and causing many Nuck fans to eat crow....

With Benning being such a good evaluator of talent which takes much of his time, I can see the organization adding another assistant or two to help him and Wiesbrough out...

Take care..
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Kooba.......see ya later suckers..... :mex:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote:Kooba.......see ya later suckers..... :mex:
viajar bien
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:
rats19 wrote:Kooba.......see ya later suckers..... :mex:
viajar bien
Gracias amigo...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Reality: You don't have the stones for a rebuild (even though the rebuild is going splendidly).
I think the reality is that no matter how this season went Doc would be happy.

Benning sees a 100 point team, Benning is a genius.

Team craters and gets a high draft pick, Benning is a genius.

If Benning turned Hamhuis into futures, he'd clearly be a genius. But Hamhuis doesn't get traded, even if he walks for nothing = cap space = genius.

Sbisa improves marginally, Benning is a genius.

Vey / Prust hit waivers, Bartkowski is awful = stopgaps = genius.

Foundational pieces aren't foundational, they're transitional. Don't think of it like a foundation for a house (ie meant to last), think of it as wood blocking under a mobile home, constantly shifting and in need of re-levelling. Genius.

See how this works?

Just saw the Canucks have a 6% shot at Auston Matthews if the lottery were held today, it would be great to bump that number up a bit heading into the draft.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Clearly you've lost your mind Island Nucklehead. Image

Clearly Benning is a virtuoso, an architect extraordinaire... you can't see that yet??

(notice I didn't use the word "genius" because it seems to upset you) :look:

We're sooo lucky to have a builder of Benning's calibre molding our team.

If you hadn't lost your mind in the Canucks Hysteria of 2015-16 you'd be thanking him.

As. You. Should. :scowl:

It's odd, now that I think about it, how those who lack the cojones were the ones to lose their minds.

Nadless mindless bitter blithering blabbering buffoons....

You should join your bumbuddies Rummy and Blobby... I hear there's another bed open. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Brock Boeser - 1 goal 1 assist last game. Now has 25 goals 18 assist in 35 games as a freshman. Gonna beat Oshies rookie scoring record at ND in less games. Unfuckinbelievable. Benning is truly a drafting wizard. Boeser picked 24th overall. McCann - 24th overall, Demko 2nd round pick, Tryamkin! Apparently Brisebios is having a GREAT year!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

I get a sense that Benning has been getting all these short term gap fillers to get room for the two very strong free agent classes 2016 and 2017. It allows us to be flexible to sign the key big player that will help our young players, who by then will have 2-3 experiences challenge for a cup

Please do check out the free agent class profile for 2016 and 2017 and stop crying over 1 year signings of gap fillers and disposing insignificant assets
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Brock Boeser - 1 goal 1 assist last game. Now has 25 goals 18 assist in 35 games as a freshman. Gonna beat Oshies rookie scoring record at ND in less games. Unfuckinbelievable. Benning is truly a drafting wizard. Boeser picked 24th overall. McCann - 24th overall, Demko 2nd round pick, Tryamkin! Apparently Brisebios is having a GREAT year!
It's great to see. I wish Jim would give himself a few more chances to nab players like this.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

CrzyCanuck wrote:I get a sense that Benning has been getting all these short term gap fillers to get room for the two very strong free agent classes 2016 and 2017. It allows us to be flexible to sign the key big player that will help our young players, who by then will have 2-3 experiences challenge for a cup

Please do check out the free agent class profile for 2016 and 2017 and stop crying over 1 year signings of gap fillers and disposing insignificant assets
Yes, Jim Benning has been looking two three years down the road since he arrived in Vancouver. His critics have difficulty with the shadow on their sun dials.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

CrzyCanuck wrote:I get a sense that Benning has been getting all these short term gap fillers to get room for the two very strong free agent classes 2016 and 2017. It allows us to be flexible to sign the key big player that will help our young players, who by then will have 2-3 experiences challenge for a cup

The free agent class always looks stellar a couple of years out. GMs still have 100+ days to thin out the 2016 group, and it's virtually pointless to be looking ahead to 2017 (in terms of specific players or overall quality of the group of players).

This team should continue to build through the draft.. if we can supplement in UFA every now and then that's great, but we're talking about letting pretty much our best UFA signing ever walk right now so we can dip back in, and even he couldn't get a legitimately great team over the hump.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Brock Boeser - 1 goal 1 assist last game. Now has 25 goals 18 assist in 35 games as a freshman. Gonna beat Oshies rookie scoring record at ND in less games. Unfuckinbelievable. Benning is truly a drafting wizard. Boeser picked 24th overall. McCann - 24th overall, Demko 2nd round pick, Tryamkin! Apparently Brisebios is having a GREAT year!
It's great to see. I wish Jim would give himself a few more chances to nab players like this.
How many draft picks do you feel he needs?

You can stockpile picks and hope for the best but you can't keep every pick if they all turn into NHL players. Don't get me wrong, I get the more picks we have the better out chance of picking up some blue-chip prospects but there are limitations and we should space out our development. Teams have finite resources when it comes to developing players, which includes the Cap, roster spaces, contracts, personnel, not to mention money.

He's done a good job filling the prospect gap left by the previous regime and I would wager a guess that Benning will slow on the moving of picks for young 20 year olds and hold on to his picks!

I'm fine with the quality over quantity approach, especially if the early results are any indication of JB's drafting prowess.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Trymakin to Canucks all but confirmed by Benning:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/nikit ... story.html

Benning has confirmed that he has been released from his KHL contract and all that needs to be done is the Visa and final paperwork for the ELC. Hopes to have him in Vancouver within a week, practicing with the club. The goal is to get him some NHL action this season.

Benning also stated that Trymakin has never told the Canucks he won't report to Utica if they assign him there next season but recognizes that with Russian players it is always a concern they won't put in the development time if needed. There will be no " AHL" out clauses.

Benning says the club is excited to get him here and see where he measures up in the NHL but if he isn't ready for the NHL next season he won't be "forced" onto the team.

Good news and something to be excited about. Can't wait to see him in the line up. Wonder if they give him a one way contract.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Trymakin to Canucks all but confirmed by Benning:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/nikit ... story.html

Benning has confirmed that he has been released from his KHL contract and all that needs to be done is the Visa and final paperwork for the ELC. Hopes to have him in Vancouver within a week, practicing with the club. The goal is to get him some NHL action this season.

Benning also stated that Trymakin has never told the Canucks he won't report to Utica if they assign him there next season but recognizes that with Russian players it is always a concern they won't put in the development time if needed. There will be no " AHL" out clauses.

Benning says the club is excited to get him here and see where he measures up in the NHL but if he isn't ready for the NHL next season he won't be "forced" onto the team.

Good news and something to be excited about. Can't wait to see him in the line up. Wonder if they give him a one way contract.
Yup don't fcuk around with Russians or else they bolt haha.

I always think, how would Bowman/Blackhawks tackle this situation? First thing get a russian translator / get him comfortable with the North American transition.

Then get him laced up and say, go, win, hit, defend.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.