Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

cfp
CC Veteran

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by cfp »

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: (a la Matt Cooke in his time here)... fine by me!
CFP can keep his name then - Cassels For Premier!
Sure thing!

Did anyone watch that Utica game? Holy shit it was entertaining. Gaunce was a monster. Sven was flying like Raymond but had way better hands (was Mason like that in the A?)

Marky solid, earning a contract next year somewhere. Benning has an easy choice. Trade Miller. Use the space along with a Bieksa move to clear salary and make up for the Vey = Garrison, Sbisa/Dorsett - resigings.

Go Utica go!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

cfp wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: (a la Matt Cooke in his time here)... fine by me!
CFP can keep his name then - Cassels For Premier!
Sure thing!

Did anyone watch that Utica game? Holy shit it was entertaining. Gaunce was a monster. Sven was flying like Raymond but had way better hands (was Mason like that in the A?)

Marky solid, earning a contract next year somewhere. Benning has an easy choice. Trade Miller. Use the space along with a Bieksa move to clear salary and make up for the Vey = Garrison, Sbisa/Dorsett - resigings.

Go Utica go!
If we somehow can trade Miller, that would be huge. I can see why they hesitated to go with the Läck/Markström tandem last season, but by now they should be able to trust Läck in a starting position, and Markström has a ton of potential. Sure, Miller helped us out in many games this past season, but I think he is eating up valuable cap space.

Getting rid of Miller would enable us to strengthen the defence and add some secondary scoring.
Not to mention, he might bring more in a trade than either of Stork or Marky Mark.

See if he will waive and then go with the youngsters. The Canucks have a lot of goalie talent in the pipeline, but they need to be given a shot at moving forward, and with Miller gone every goalie moves up one step.
I think they deserve it, and I think it would help our future.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

SKYO wrote:Go Utica Go! awesome experience for our youngsta'z.

Markstrom making it easier for JB to trade Lack.
Or ... driving his own trade value up in the meantime. What a good problem to have.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
ESQ wrote:
herb wrote: That people are comparing Cassels (drafted 85th overall) to Draisaitl (drafted 3rd overall), and that they are actually pretty comparable players is remarkable.
Exactly my thoughts - so we've learned our 20-year-old 3rd round pick can shut down the Oilers 17-year-old future 1st overall pick, but didn't quite shut down the Oilers' 19 1/2 year old 3rd overall pick.

Still pretty damn good for a 3rd-rounder who turned 20 a few weeks ago. Doesn't guarantee he'll be an NHL star, but there's plenty of reason for optimism.

He doesn't have to be a star. An elite third line shut down centre would be just fine :mrgreen:
Watched a ton of Cassels this year and the player he reminds me most of - wait for it - is a poor man's Henrik Sedin. Yes there are differences, Cassels is much grittier (he's a mean bastard) and Hank is just all around better, but Cassels loves the short pass, the give and go, loves playing along the boards and behind the net and loves protecting the puck with his body to allow him to dish off to an open teammate. He's got a better shot than Henrik does and both are average skaters.

Hank has a ridiculous mind for the game though and Cassels isn't in the same realm. If he can be half of what Hank has been I will be very happy.
Interesting comparison and not really all that surprising as one of the knocks on Cassels has been that he passes too much. Remind you of anyone? :D
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Andrew Cassels:
NHL games played: 1015
NHL assist: 528

Like father, like son, with more grit and assholeness?
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:Andrew Cassels:
NHL games played: 1015
NHL assist: 528

Like father, like son, with more grit and assholeness?
To quote the Boondock Saints, "I am surprisingly comfortable with that"
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:Congratulations to the Utica Comets who defeat Grand Rapids 2-0 to go onto to the finals. The legend of Markstrom grows. Second consecutive series clinching SO. Papa Jim must be proud.
Is Jensen injured, invisible, or benched? He has only 2 goals in the playoffs. Not projecting well for next year for him.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Congratulations to the Utica Comets who defeat Grand Rapids 2-0 to go onto to the finals. The legend of Markstrom grows. Second consecutive series clinching SO. Papa Jim must be proud.
Is Jensen injured, invisible, or benched? He has only 2 goals in the playoffs. Not projecting well for next year for him.

Healthy scratch. Grenier, Gaunce, Virtanen play a "bigger" game. Jensen is one dimensional and I think it is fair to say he will be dealt, or at least the Canucks will try to deal him.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

okcanuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
okcanuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
okcanuck wrote:What? Kelowna could have been easily up by 3-1 if it weren't for their goalie. Cassels had little to do win that win
This is what happens in single-elimination games. But Oshawa did go undefeated in that tournament and they beat Kelowna twice. Cassels was a huge part of that team that lacked the star-power of the Rockets, but managed to get it done.

Excellent way to end his Junior career.

Did you actually watch the game? Their goalie didn't see half the Kelowna shots that luckily hit him. Kelowna deserved at least a 3 goal win and Cassels ( the great) was quite invisible.

The shots were 38-26 that tells you everything about that game. The Rockets actually dominated that game.
Actually, I did watch the game. As I said, in a single-game format anything can happen. It doesn't mean the better team won, only that Oshawa scored more goals than Kelowna in this game, so they win. Shot totals don't win games.

The point is that Cassels is a huge part of the team that just won the Memorial Cup. Sucks for Kelowna fans, but despite their best effort they didn't win the game. Looking at it from more than your limited single-game viewpoint, you'd realize that Oshawa might not even be in the tournament if it wasn't for Cassels shutting down limiting the likes of McDavid. That's why he deserves praise.

The fact is Oshawa's goalie was unbelievably lucky in that game and if Kelowna would have capitalized on their incredible chances nothing would be said about Cassels "great" ability to shut down future star offensive players.

Like I said before Cassels had little to do with their win tonight
This is so much of what is wrong with Canuck fans. Cassels has not only played well all through the Cup, but played well in this series too. He has one bad game and the bed wetters are all over him. Kelowna is from BC. I wonder if that has anything to do with all the negative press about Cole? Jesus had a bad game too but at least Cole gets to play again.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cassels was playing injured in the Memorial Cup. If you want to see Cassels at his best watch the semi finals and finals of the OHL. He was in Beast Mode
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

LIstening to Canucks lunch, I guess Benning told Rintoul there are 5 "untouchables" amongst the Canucks prospects.

Let the guessing begin:

Hovrat, Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Demko. If Horvat isn't a prospect anymore, then I guess Corrado.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:LIstening to Canucks lunch, I guess Benning told Rintoul there are 5 "untouchables" amongst the Canucks prospects.

Let the guessing begin:

Hovrat, Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Demko. If Horvat isn't a prospect anymore, then I guess Corrado.
Subban
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol other than Horvat none of them are good enough to be untouchable . I like a lot of what Virtanen brings but he had a pretty shitty year - I'm sure in part to recovering from an injury but there are warts in his game . Bo is the only guy in the system I see as a true corner stone so far .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:LIstening to Canucks lunch, I guess Benning told Rintoul there are 5 "untouchables" amongst the Canucks prospects.

Let the guessing begin:

I listened to the interview, it wasn't a cut and dried 5 guys, more an off the cuff 5ish guys they wouldn't trade. Benning was essentially just saying he doesn't want to get rid of young guys, wants to keep his prospects and hopefully gain more picks,
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Let the guessing begin:

Yeah those 5 make the most sense.

prospects avail for the right price....
Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Eriksson.

Be interesting to see how the goalie situation works out.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.