Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by BurningBeard »

dbr wrote:Canucks deal Patrick Mullen to Ottawa for some 2009 draft pick whose in college - ie. not taking up a contract..
I'll laugh if this is the only deal the Canucks make for the trade deadline.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dbr wrote:Canucks deal Patrick Mullen to Ottawa for some 2009 draft pick whose in college - ie. not taking up a contract..
His nameo is....Jeff Costello

And this will go down as the steal...no...trade of the century!

:stupid:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Arachnid wrote:
His nameo is....Jeff Costello

And this will go down as the steal...no...trade of the century!

:stupid:
Gillis just bought himself at least another 2 years from Aquaman with this one. Costello is projected to be the next Justin Papineau!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Booth buyout is back.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can the team just call up Jensen now? or is that a crime against humanity.

Excited to see Matthias play! (shutup RD)
I think he'll bring some much needed enthusiasm to the team, even the inked up Markstrom.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote:Booth buyout is back.
I don't think it ever left.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

After trade deadline:

Torts

Wanted to clear up a rumour going around that Lou was benched because a trade in the works. Said not true at all. It was his decision, a hockey decision and he would do it again. He said he will take the heat for the fall out.

Kesler

Glad the day is over. Happy to still be a Canuck. Lack came up to him at practice and told him he was just traded to Pittsburg. He smirked and said he would be shooting pucks at his head the rest of the year.

Torts

Asked how he liked the new tall goaltender. He laughed and said when he first saw him he thought he was the new forward we got so he started talking to him in that light.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:Booth buyout is back.

Booth only has one more year though. The biter is signed for three more years and is three years older than Booth. Booth's contract looks like a bargain compared to Burrows' bloated deal.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Booth actually has a tad cheaper cap hit as well.

Compliance buyout Burrows and regular buyout Booth or just keep Booth?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

herb wrote:Booth actually has a tad cheaper cap hit as well.

If you CBO Burrows, you've pretty much given up on the twins, with whom you are stuck until they retire. Burrows has proven to be the only player around who can produce with the twins at even strength. The injuries themselves do not lend to suspicions that he cannot produce with them again. Unless management has identified someone else who they firmly believe will produce with the twins, buying out Burrows makes little sense moving forward.

Despite his more spirited play - skating, playing the body and taking the puck to the net - what has Booth done to justify his salary and cap space? What has he done since he came here that would lead anyone to believe he can produce more than he has to this point?

Booth is the logical choice.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

herb wrote:Booth actually has a tad cheaper cap hit as well.

Burr has looked awful this year but was the leading goal scorer on the team last year - and we're talking about buying him out? Damn you people turn on players quickly. I would have thought given the broken jaw and broken foot he'd at least get a little bit of slack....I guess not.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Lancer wrote:If you CBO Burrows, you've pretty much given up on the twins, with whom you are stuck until they retire. Burrows has proven to be the only player around who can produce with the twins at even strength.
Uhh, what?

They were doing just fine in October without Burrows, before Henrik's wrist and then rib injuries. And before they got saddled with AB for that matter. :sly:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:Uhh, what?

They were doing just fine in October without Burrows, before Henrik's wrist and then rib injuries. And before they got saddled with AB for that matter. :sly:
They wre doing fine because they were lined up with Kesler - who was still producing even after he left that line. If you want Torts to put all his eggs in one basket and play them half the game while the rest of the lines try and not get scored on, don't be surprised if we keep seeing seasons like this one.

If, however, you would like to spread the offence and ice time beyond what can be addressed by the opposition's top checking players - and thus have a snowball's chance of doing better in the standings - perhaps having Hank and Kes centre different would be a better idea. In that scenario, having a winger who has proven to make the twins a potent lines would be something beyond a good idea.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The twins are not going anywhere and will be dropping to 2nd line and 3rd line duties before their contracts are up. Why worry about saddling them with Burrows as their roles diminish?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Lancer wrote:
dbr wrote:Uhh, what?

They wre doing fine because they were lined up with Kesler - who was still producing even after he left that line. If you want Torts to put all his eggs in one basket and play them half the game while the rest of the lines try and not get scored on, don't be surprised if we keep seeing seasons like this one.

If, however, you would like to spread the offence and ice time beyond what can be addressed by the opposition's top checking players - and thus have a snowball's chance of doing better in the standings - perhaps having Hank and Kes centre different would be a better idea. In that scenario, having a winger who has proven to make the twins a potent lines would be something beyond a good idea.
Uh, they were one of the earliest to be able to adapt to a Tort's system... along with Tanev, Bieksa and Santorelli. Most were struggling coming from AV's system. Some are still still having problems, but that's another matter.

The twins were the ones who pulled Kesler out of an early scoring abyss and instantly his terrible plus/minus improved.

Tort's is right about Kes as a winger. Offensively he is a better winger than a center. However this team is so lacking in depth, it would never make sense to load up the top line because everyone else would have to punch a class or two above their weight... and would get raped night after night. This is pretty much happening right now as Hansen and Higgins is filling in for top-6 forwards who just haven't got it done at all this season. Don't even get me started on Tort's unwillingness to even try Kassian for a few games...

Centers haven't been the big problem, it's the woeful depth and play of the "scoring" wingers that are killing the team. Who knew the MVP this season would be a guy they picked up expressly for minor-league depth?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!