Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Zamboni Driver »

dangler wrote:Rome was slower (by a lot),just as offensively challenged (if not moreso) and 4 years older.
Whats the upside?
:?
That he was making $0.75 instead of $2.1 mil? :?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:dont know if someone posted about all 3, Richardson, Sbisa, Matthias - lindenning said they are starting talks about re-signing em.
Dorsett too.
So if we re- sign all these guys the team is basically set for next year. I can't see it happening with a few young guys knocking on the door - Corrado, Baertschi, maybe guys like Virtanen and Gaunce too. The team needs a bit of turnover from season to season so perhaps there will be some trades. Just too many guys and most of them need to be exposed to waivers.

I still think Kassian is gone this offseason. He just doesn't seem to fit in for this coaching staff.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well preliminary discussions are usually feeling out stages. It may be that once the initial offers are tabled Benning gets a much better sense of how realistic it will, or will not be, to bring all or any of them back. He will know who wants to text FA before signing. Does Dorsett want to return to Columbus or NYR? The only one he has leverage on is Sbisa at this point. Richardson I can see wanting to stay, he has a cup already and like Vancouver and under Willie he will good solid minutes. Matthias has this chance to hit pay dirt and may want to test the waters.

Benning is doing his due diligence. By the time the draft comes he will have a much clearer picture about what his team will loom like.

Keep in mind GMs are free to talk reads and he have agreements in principle, they just can't be registered with the NHL for approval until the last game of the season has been played.

He also has to decide on Stanton, Vey, Clendening and Markstrom. So I take it as very early days and more a due diligence to get set for the funny season.

Not even gonna spell check, going to bed now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Keep in mind GMs are free to talk reads and he have agreements in principle, they just can't be registered with the NHL for approval until the last game of the season has been played.
Does this include the playoffs? Not that a playoff team would want to make a change in the thick of spring hockey.
He also has to decide on Stanton, Vey, Clendening and Markstrom. So I take it as very early days and more a due diligence to get set for the funny season.
Vey should be gone. He's not worth a raise, and if he can get us a 3rd or 4th in return then do it.

Clendening should be kept. I liked what we saw from him.

Stanton just doesn't seem to fit here right now, so he should be moved and JB should replace him with a player who doesn't have to clear waivers (easier said than done, I know).

Lack has proven himself as a starting goaltender, he's ready to take the next step. If JB is committed to Miller then Lack should be packaged up and he should move up in the draft. Not because I want to see him gone, but he wants to play more, and it would be better to benefit the team rather than waste his last year and lose him as an UFA.

Markstrom hinges on Lack. If he gets the last couple of games, and shows that he's improved, then maybe that makes a decision to trade Eddie a bit easier. Miller is the number one regardless, and this makes it a more traditional starter/back-up setup, instead of the 1A/1B system we've run with.

I wonder if Edmonton would be interested in parting with Pittsburgh's 1st round pick? That pick could easily end up being in the 15-18 range the way things are shaking out right now. Would they take Lack + Stanton + prospect? Their biggest needs are in net and stay home grit on the blueline, and MacT has said he regrets playing hardball and missing out on Schneider.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:dont know if someone posted about all 3, Richardson, Sbisa, Matthias - lindenning said they are starting talks about re-signing em.
Dorsett too.
So if we re- sign all these guys the team is basically set for next year. I can't see it happening with a few young guys knocking on the door - Corrado, Baertschi, maybe guys like Virtanen and Gaunce too. The team needs a bit of turnover from season to season so perhaps there will be some trades. Just too many guys and most of them need to be exposed to waivers.

I still think Kassian is gone this offseason. He just doesn't seem to fit in for this coaching staff.
If we re-sign em all, I think that leaves the door open to trading one of Higgins/Burrows/Hansen for picks at the 2015 draft, as JB said he can try to recoup those picks he traded away.

Baertschi imo is already a forced lock to make the squad next season.

Barring overpayment Kassian is staying! as JB is impressed at his improved play of late, plus other GM's are offering up scraps for him, so I'd be cool/happy if Kassassin is staying, he's a perennial 20+ goal scorer from here on out!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

With the ages of Bieksa and Hamhius and our rather thin D-core future, still not sold on Clendenning and Corrado as being legitimate top 4 D-men in the NHL. I do like Huttons potential - size, skill, skating, smarts.

I see Benning biting on one of Chabot, Zboril or Carlo at the draft. I am leaning more towards Zboril or Chabot. Not a massive fan of Carlo as his puck skills are limited, strikes me as a bigger version of Stanton. From listening to Benning talk about D-men he seems to like those Hybrid, puck moving, skilled - D-men so Chabot and Zboril seem to be the obvious choice not to mention that they both rank higher than Carlo on most scouting lists.

That being said I still prefer to draft a forward in the first round over a D-man unless the D-man is sure fire Hanafin, Provorov or Werenski
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: That being said I still prefer to draft a forward in the first round over a D-man unless the D-man is sure fire Hanafin, Provorov or Werenski
No such thing Dude. Even McDavid isn't a 100% lock to be all that everyone says. The odds that he's a bust are ridiculously low......like 0.000000000000000000001% chance he doesn't become the next superstar and face of the league in 8-10 years when Crosby is on his way out.

But the list of 1st round busts is long, and you know it.

Keith and Weber, two of the best going on the blueline right now, both taken in the 2nd round.

Yes that's right, I'm splitting hairs.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Are you educating me on the NHL draft, Mëds? LMAO

The days of one dimensional super skilled superstars dominating the game are long gone, have been for awhile. The days of lumbering pugilistic defenceman and slow one dimensional forwards for the likes of Crosby to embarrass don't exist anymore. It's all speed, all 200 ft game and players buying into systems. The McDavids will not dominate the game the way the Gretzkys and Lemiuexs did when their were small stand up goaltenders before the giant butterfly goalies took over

It's an impossible game now for one player to dominate: it's all speed, smarts, skill and a competitive motor and players who can play systems.

I've always been a proponent of drafting D post 1st round. I would definitely draft Werenski, Provorov and Hanafin in the 1st round. I'd think twice about every other D rated in the top 30

The Devils drafted two very good D-men post 1st round in Sverenson and Gelinas like us with Edler
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Baertchi has been lighting up the AHL since the trade and has been called up today.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Benjo wrote:Baertchi has been lighting up the AHL since the trade and has been called up today.
I wonder who would sit if Willie decides to play him?
Definitely be nice to have another lw option.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dangler wrote:
Benjo wrote:Baertchi has been lighting up the AHL since the trade and has been called up today.
Be interesting to see if he is made to 'pay his dues' & develop a 2-way game or slots into the top 6.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

dangler wrote:
It looks like Kenins
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ClamRussel wrote:
dangler wrote:
Be interesting to see if he is made to 'pay his dues' & develop a 2-way game or slots into the top 6.
Horvat has.... Why would Sven be different you think?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:[
Vey should be gone. He's not worth a raise, and if he can get us a 3rd or 4th in return then do it.

I'm wondering why we gave up a 2nd for him. :?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Are you educating me on the NHL draft, Mëds? LMAO
I didn't think I needed to.....hence my use of "You know that."
The days of one dimensional super skilled superstars dominating the game are long gone, have been for awhile. The days of lumbering pugilistic defenceman and slow one dimensional forwards for the likes of Crosby to embarrass don't exist anymore. It's all speed, all 200 ft game and players buying into systems. The McDavids will not dominate the game the way the Gretzkys and Lemiuexs did when their were small stand up goaltenders before the giant butterfly goalies took over
Where did I say anything about one-dimensional super skilled stars? I merely implied that McDavid will likely be the next superstar like Crosby. In fact, I didn't even mention Gretzky or Lemieux. Not sure what you're on about there.
It's an impossible game now for one player to dominate: it's all speed, smarts, skill and a competitive motor and players who can play systems.
Ummmm, yeah. So that kinda goes to my point that there is no sure fire bet, there's always a chance that a superstar draft pick won't pan out because he's so used to dominating at the lower levels where speed, smarts, and systems, aren't as important.
The Devils drafted two very good D-men post 1st round in Sverenson and Gelinas like us with Edler
Ummmm, yeah. Hence why I mentioned Keith and Weber.

:roll: