Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Tciso wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:lmao @ pauser. I guess its a bit different for you here seeing as you can't run and hide behind the mods.
I"m not running behind anyone. All I'm saying is that the Sedins contracts are amongst the worst in the league, and definitely amongst the worst amongst Canadian teams. You people can live in denial all you want. These guys are 50 point players now, and while you can sit there and hope for a "bounce back" season, it isn't going to happen. Any expectation should be tempered. For these guys, a bounce back season sees them at around 60 points. Expecting them to be PPG players again just isn't realistic, yet that's what we're paying for.
So, in your not-too-humble opinion, what contracts are as bad, or worse than the Twins? I'd like to see who you are comparing them too.

Yeah Pauser... Me too.

What contracts are you comparing them with?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

A book is out about the fall of the 2011 "Greatest Canucks" Team. I'd still take the 94 team over the 2011 team though. :P

http://greystonebooks.com/book_details. ... 1771641319

The author seems to be located out in Calgary though, so not sure if he followed and knows the Canucks as much as us. He did know MG for a long time, so he might have some insights there. MG has gone dark ever since he was let go. I would luv to hear his thoughts about the whole Torts thing, Trev coming in, his last stand when he drew a line on the sand and eventually his firing. Doubt he said much now, but hopefully some day he'll come out and share his side of what happened.

I'll probably read it if I can find it in the library. :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:MG has gone dark
:look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Yeah Pauser... Me too.

What contracts are you comparing them with?

No way... Pauser not responding to posters asking him to defend his troll posts?

Say it ain't so.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Mondi wrote:So basically the Canucks got a borderline 3rd-line forward for the active NHL wins leader.

Don't think we were all happy...but it had to happen..get over it I guess

Dope.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:So basically the Canucks got a borderline 3rd-line forward for the active NHL wins leader.

Dope.

It sucks but whatever.

Trading Luongo sooner, to the leaves who look like were the only team to make a serious offer, would not have changed our fortunes.

We would still have Cory, but not Horvat.

Let's say we got Kadri,Scrivens and a second. OK, a second who knows who. Kadri wouldn't make us any better than we are today nor would Srivens and for sure one of he or Lack would not be on the team. Who knows if we would still have Lack or if he would have developed as he has.

We still lose Kesler.

So maybe we trade Cory sooner and keep Luongo. Ok, we still don't have Horvat, but maybe someone else of similar ilk. Maybe we still have Kesler. But are we any better?

Dominos, dominos.

I don't think we would be any better today with Luongo or CS and Kesler.

MG fucked up the situation. Should have traded CS when he first emerged and a number of teams were interested. Or he should have bought out Luongo when he had the chance. He should have moved Kesler at the deadline last season when the reported offer from Anheim was higher. He should have hired Willie last year instead of Torts.

But I don't think we would be any better today with 2 of the 3 departed were still on the team. Our future certainly would not look as bright. We may still have to continue our fall before we get better or we may be able to re-tool on the fly and emerge stronger in a few years.

What's done is done. I get frustrated too when I think of the Luongo situation. It was just so poorly mis-managed from the get go. But we have a new front office and a new team emerging. Time to let Luongo go.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Totally agree HW.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Hindsight is pointless now, better to look forward.

New management was smart to deal the remaining malcontents quickly... even if it was at a discount, so they can make room for new inventory.

If there is a bright side, MG's last few picks are looking like they will become NHL'ers at some point real soon... maybe even this season :D

Change is here... 8-)
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: What's done is done. I get frustrated too when I think of the Luongo situation. It was just so poorly mis-managed from the get go. But we have a new front office and a new team emerging. Time to let Luongo go.
MG's biggest mistake (and it was one many of us probably would've made also), was waiting out the lockout before dealing Lou. Contrast that with how Benning handled the Kesler situation, where some fans asked "that's it?" and you get the different approaches.

Had Gillis dealt Lou ASAP, for a draft pick or Kadri or Schenn or whatever, I'm sure many of us would've been apoplectic. Once the new CBA brought in cap recapture and we were bound to get hosed.

Moving forward... it's looking like Horvat WILL be an NHL player sooner rather than later, and that bodes well. I don't mind the Schneider/Horvat trade, I think BO will be a key cog in the future of this franchise, and Miller is an adequate replacement for Lou.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Dope.
Quotes like this are so 2003/2004. Cap space is a COMMODITY in a salary capped league. Who cares who we got in return for getting rid of the Luongo contract?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Groovypippin wrote:

Dope.
Quotes like this are so 2003/2004. Cap space is a COMMODITY in a salary capped league. Who cares who we got in return for getting rid of the Luongo contract?
I do. Getting rid of the Luongo contract and then giving Ryan Miller 18M over 3... wooo hooo..

Cap space is a COMMODITY in a salary capped league right?

At the end of it all, trading Luo wasn't about his contract at all. It was about Luo getting sick and tired of being jerked around by the brass.

Maybe Matthias will end up being an elite 4th line center. Here's hoping! :mrgreen:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

The thing I s mathonwy..

Lu asked to be traded after that fuck him....sorry we couldn't do it in a timely manner but your colossal contract hampered us slightly... Ffs
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:
It sucks but whatever.

Trading Luongo sooner, to the leaves who look like were the only team to make a serious offer, would not have changed our fortunes.
Disagree
Hockey Widow wrote: We would still have Cory, but not Horvat.
We would still have a blue chip Canuck drafted goalie that is in his prime, and not Horvat who is at least a couple years from making a major difference and no Ryan Miller and his 18M over 3 year salary
Hockey Widow wrote: Let's say we got Kadri,Scrivens and a second. OK, a second who knows who. Kadri wouldn't make us any better than we are today nor would Srivens and for sure one of he or Lack would not be on the team. Who knows if we would still have Lack or if he would have developed as he has.
Kadri is age 23, has an annual cap hit of 2.9M over the last 2 years, is a center, had 44 points in 12/13, 50 points in 13/14, is projected to hit 60 points this season and is an asshole.

Every single quality of Kadri's fits what the Canucks need.

And Scrivens is actually starting for the Coil and not waiver fodder.

Hockey Widow wrote: So maybe we trade Cory sooner and keep Luongo. Ok, we still don't have Horvat, but maybe someone else of similar ilk. Maybe we still have Kesler. But are we any better?
You mean, we still have the guy that took us to game 7 of the SC Finals, is a two-time Olympic gold medalist and ultimately turning into a fantastic teammate with Luo and Lack being one the top goaltending tandems in the league..

Are we any better? YUP, we sure are.
Last edited by mathonwy on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

rats19 wrote:The thing I s mathonwy..

Lu asked to be traded after that fuck him....sorry we couldn't do it in a timely manner but your colossal contract hampered us slightly... Ffs
The thing is ratski..

a) I will never understand the mentality of: Because a player asked to be traded = the player is now the devil.

Nevermind the circumstances of what actually happened. Maybe Luo should have just bent over and taken it right? Damn Luo and his ego.

b) Luo's colossal contract is not Luo's alone. It takes two to play the contract game. Also, Luo's annual cap hit was 5.33M which is LESS than Ryan Miller's cap hit of 6M.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:
rats19 wrote:The thing I s mathonwy..

The thing is ratski..

a) I will never understand the mentality of: Because a player asked to be traded = the player is now the devil.

Nevermind the circumstances of what actually happened. Maybe Luo should have just bent over and taken it right? Damn Luo and his ego.

b) Luo's colossal contract is not Luo's alone. It takes two to play the contract game. Also, Luo's annual cap hit was 5.33M which is LESS than Ryan Miller's cap hit of 6M.

Everything you say is true. But what's the point of still harping on it? What value does it bring to keep going back to it? I get it. I really do. But it's over. We can debate all we want what shoulda happened, what could be. In the end I think pretty well everyone agrees MG miscalculated. We may disagree on what his mistake actually was but we all seem to be on the same page in agreeing that he mishandled it. So be angry and bitter but at some point you gotta recognize that MG isn't here anymore, neither is Luongo or Kesler or CS.

Benning needs to do what is in the best interest moving forward. This latest upset seems to have been brought up by Markstrom being placed on waivers. What would you suggest? He not waive Markstrom just so we can say we still have something to show for the Luongo trade? Or he should not have wasted cap on Miller so he could let Markstrom develop?

See those are different issues. If you want to debate the Miller signing versus keeping Markstrom fine, do that. But it has nothing to do with the Luongo trade.

I do get your pain over the whole fiasco of a season. But we gotta deal with what's in front of us.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Groovypippin wrote:

Dope.
...except, we *didnt* really. We're fucked w/ that contract by NOT buying him out. THAT would have saved us Cory and *that* would have saved us the cap space & the drama. As it is, we are paying $800k annually to Lu a and yes that counts against our cap...and the kicker is when Lu retires early, and he will, we get slammed w/ cap recapture penalties. Wait for it, it's coming.

I'll say it again, Doc called it, we would have been 100% better off buying out Lu than the lame-ass trade MG ended up making. Instead we are left to buy out a useful but overpriced weirdo winger who only had ONE season left.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy