Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Rumsfeld »

Haha. What a complete and utter fucking disaster Torts was. :lol:

What's really funny is how few Canucks fans saw it coming.

The abuse Gillis took around here since 2012... the guy was a genius at managing compared to Torts at coaching.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:Haha. What a complete and utter fucking disaster Torts was. :lol:

The abuse Gillis took around here since 2012... the guy was a genius at managing compared to Torts at coaching.
Michael D. Gillis doesn't get a pass for the Torts hire even if it was heavily influenced by ownership.

He is ultimately responsible for the hire and unfortunately for him, paid the price for the clusterfuck that Torts brought to the Canucks. 8-)
Last edited by Betamax on Fri May 16, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Speaking of Burrows, for all you Burrows fans and haters...

:mrgreen:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Haha. What a complete and utter fucking disaster Torts was. :lol:

Michael D. Gillis doesn't get a pass for the Torts hire even if it was heavily influenced by ownership.

He is ultimately responsible for the hire and unfortunately for him, paid the price for the clusterfuck that Torts brought to the Canucks. 8-)
I think it's become pretty obvious that Gillis wanted nothing to do with Torts.

In any case, my point stands. Gillis was way fucking better at his job than the gibbering simp John Tortorella.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Betamax wrote:

I think it's become pretty obvious that Gillis wanted nothing to do with Torts.

In any case, my point stands. Gillis was way fucking better at his job than the gibbering simp John Torterella.
Michael D. Gillis signed off on the deal. He did that by remaining GM. If he was so convinced that Fonzie wasn't the guy, he should have stood up against ownership instead of being a "Yes" man. 8-)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

When the guy signing your cheques tells you to do something, you tend to do it.

I doubt Burningbeard would continue to throw extra turkey on the footlongs if his boss explicitly told him not to.

BTW, thanks BB. Hope you didn't catch too much shit.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:When the guy signing your cheques tells you to do something, you tend to do it.

I doubt Burningbeard would continue to throw extra turkey on the footlongs if his boss explicitly told him not to.

Well, you tell me , is/was Michael D. Gillis a man of principle that believed in his own vision, or just a YES man to ownership?

I mean, he was a guy with conviction, a guy that stood up to Eagleson and his corruption and now decades later, he's willing to compromise on his own personal beliefs on how to run an hockey organization because ownership allegedly loved the bill of goods that Fonzie was peddling to them?

I mean come on. Can we get serious?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:Politics could have played a role of him playing Burr even though he may have wanted him out. He saw the grief he got for benching a player he loved i.e. Richards and maybe felt it wasn't worth the aggravation. It's not like the Canucks' had players sitting out that were better than Burr despite his struggles.
Nonsense. If the Canucks didn't have players sitting out who were better than Burrows then why would he recommend a buyout? That would make the team worse by math alone. Burrows on the 2nd or 3rd line makes sense if he's no longer a top line player. Buying him out when we have Booth who was being scratched? Nah, don't buy it. Its a smear job by someone. Ask yourself this: who in Canucks brass was known to leak info or spread disinformation?
I suspect Fonzie's recommendation probably came closer to the end of the season. In the unlikely possibility that he'd be back to coach the team next season, he didn't see a long-term future of Burrows remaining with the franchise.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:When the guy signing your cheques tells you to do something, you tend to do it.

Well, you tell me , is/was Michael D. Gillis a man of principle that believed in his own vision, or just a YES man to ownership?

I mean, he was a guy with conviction, a guy that stood up to Eagleson and his corruption and now decades later, he's willing to compromise on his own personal beliefs on how to run an hockey organization because ownership allegedly loved the bill of goods that Fonzie was peddling to them?

Personal beliefs?

LOL.

Look man, I honestly give zero fucks about who hired Tortorella or why. All I know is that I knew it was a shitty decision from the get-go and I didn't wait until this spring to state that opinion.

The floor is your, tiny dancer.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Betamax wrote:

Personal beliefs?

LOL.

Look man, I honestly give zero fucks about who hired Tortorella or why. All I know is that I knew it was a shitty decision from the get-go and I didn't wait until this spring to state that opinion.

The floor is your, tiny dancer.
Well, Michael D. Gillis was the head of hockey operations like Linden is now. As such, he is/was entrusted to be the sober second thought to ownership when it came to a decision of that magnitude.

For him to be complicit with the hire, tells me it's on him for signing off on it. 8-)
Last edited by Betamax on Fri May 16, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:Clam, what was your opinion of Torts' when he was first hired here and then began coaching the team?
I was torn. I recall being happy the country-club atmosphere was being shaken up but didn't necessarily think we were getting an upgrade in terms of a coach. AV appeared to have gotten stale, the crew appeared to have tuned him out a bit. They certainly weren't working hard enough. I didn't like Torts' declarations one bit. The idea of using the Twins to kill penalties and block shots sounded absurd to me. We had players to do that. They weren't getting any younger and had their best years under Vigneault. AV knew how to use them. I saw that as a negative. I remember being concerned w/ how things ended in NY for Torts. It was basically mutiny. I didn't believe he had changed in only a few months. I appreciated how candid he was but thought he said some insensitive and odd things at the same time. I was disappointed we didn't hire Stevens but preferred Torts to Gulutzan. I remember enjoying how the media were squirming over Torts, they were scared. That was a positive. Something had to give, the playoffs were a total disaster since '11. I thought MG would do more.

What were your thoughts and opinions at the time?
My opinions on Fonzie were well documented when I posted on hfboards. In fact, I was one of the few rational posters there that regularly criticized the guy when we had a bunch of apologists/fanboys on that site making excuse after excuse for him and blinding eating whatever crap sandwiches he was feeding them.

That was sick and was something I did not support. Now, Betamax like one of those 300 Spartan Warriors, valiantly waged "battle" against the numerous disciples of Fonzie at the time and the powers that be on said site! The battle was epic. Well kinda ...

I would like to point out to one thread ... you know the infamous "Cell Phone Incident" involving Fonzie:

re: Coach T's I will walk.
Thread created: 09-16-2013, 05:39 PM

via: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1498885

It makes for some very amusing reading, ICYMI the first time.

Since I didn't feel I received the credit I deserve, in the here in now, I would like to take the time to quote myself back on 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM, in reply to former canuckscorner poster, tantalum:
tantalum wrote:No big deal and it should be expected. You are in a meeting. Turn the phone off. It's really just polite and something that is expected in most companies. This is no different. You either want to ask questions/listen to answers or talk/type on the phone. You can not do both.
and
tantalum wrote:Shockingly Team 1040 is right in line with Torts on this topic. You are in a professional setting so turn it off.
The Response:
Betamax wrote:Sure. But people do make mistake. Let's remember, Coach Torts is a representative of the Canucks and one of their most prominent figures at the moment. Do you think it's polite to threaten to talk about huge fines, and "walking off" when hearing an inadvertent cell phone go off? Yeah, sure it's annoying. But he could have handled it like what most people would ... in a less than hostile manner. That was just a little incident. Just imagine when something really bothers him this upcoming season. Will all his re-branding talk about changing his approach be nothing more than just that ... talk and the real Torts will appear when he and the Canucks have their stretch of adversity?
Well, that's interesting! Betamax foreshadowing the future ... Nothing new. Image
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

No problem Maverick, I'd do it again. ;)
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Betamax wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Rangers wouldn't even make the playoffs in the west
Uh, they had an overall winning record (14-13-1) vs. their Western Conference Opponnents despite starting the season in an extended 9 game road trip with the first 5 against the western conference teams.

So I think they would have made the playoffs. 8-)
No they wouldn't
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Just wanted to say, I was @ the library the other day and noticed a dood reading this CC forum. :D
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Just wanted to say, I was @ the library the other day and noticed a dood reading this CC forum. :D
LIES